• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

handheld GPS recommendations

erickol

I wasnt really doing the ford vs. chevy thing. I paid exactly the same amount for both models. It was just a 8 year old unit getting replaced by what is currently available on the market. In fact the new version of the Etrex Vista does accept the lakemaster maps and is close to the same price of the H2oc. The technology is so much better now that I was amazed how much better stuff has gotten in just a few years.

I didn't think that you were doing a ford or chevy thing. My analogy got lost in translation. No biggy. Any ways I'm not the clearest at things sometimes but oh well doesnt matter what I was saying or what I thought I was saying. These units realy get the job done.

Croixflats, you got the gist of what I was saying but I must now step back and pull my foot out of my mouth.

I compared the two and actually, the H2O and the Vista appear very comparable in terms of the available features.

It looks like the Vista does have an electronic compass but I didn't see that option with the H2O.

The H2O can store up to 200 tracks compared to the Vista's 20.

Unfortunately for us Garmin followers, the H2O is about $50.00 less than the Vista.

Bob

If I was going to go with a Garmin that could handle a lakemaster chip- what Garmin do people like?

I own a Rino120, which is a GPS/GMRS/FRS radio combination. As a GPS the one thing I'd say I don't like is the relatively small screen. Aside from that I have no complaints.

If I were in the market for a new GPS I would be seriously looking at the Garmin GPSMap60Csx. Comparing it to their top line GPSMap76Csx they have a very slightly narrower screen (.1") and a lower memory SD card (don't know if they can handle more).

The one advantage with the 76 series is that they will float on water.

My primary reason for choosing Garmin is my experience with their durability and service. I have dropped my Rino out of my deerstand onto a rock pile from 16' and it came up ticking. I have knocked it off my belt clip while on the ATV in a mud hole, rinsed it off in a nearby water hole, and it worked fine. I have dropped it into a lake and fished it out with no ill effects. Battery life is great. If I use the battery saver mode and use the GPS only, I can go for a few days on one set of batteries. The specified accuracy is less than 3 meters but I can tell you from experience that it is not unusual to see accuracy within 6 to 8 feet.

Bob

If I was going to go with a Garmin that could handle a lakemaster chip- what Garmin do people like?

All the Garmin units I have listed will work with the Garmin LakeMaster chip. All are good units, it really comes down to the price you want to pay and the features you want to have.

Garmin Handheld GPS