• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

handheld GPS recommendations

erickol

I am interested in getting a handheld either the end of this season, or maybe mid summer.

I don't want flashy, fancy or over the top. I do want bombproof durability, quality and an accurate dependable unit with lakemap chip. It does not have to be this years model either.

so, any ideas? also, any recommendations for online or other places to get a deal on last year's models? I will be looking at used units, unless I can get a killer deal on a new unit. Thanks

I use my dad's H2O all the time and I love it. It's the only GPS I've used so I can't give you much of a comparison to anything, but for fishing it's worked great for me. I can get back to exact spots without having to search around or anything. It seems pretty solid, I've dropped it a few times and it still works great.

I have a garmin colorado that works great and accepts Lakemaster chips. I would check them out, seems much more user friendly then the H2o units. Whatever one you get, be sure to put a screen protector on ASAP, it will save the screen as they scratch very easy. My bro in law found that out on the first trip w/ his h2o.

Have you guys heard anything about the new Lowrance Endura units? Are they replacing the iFinder (H20 & H20c) line? I think I read somewhere that they're coming out in May 2009, but I can't seem to find it now.

I doubt they will replace their best selling line.

The new ones will be much more expensive so I doubt they will sell as well as the H2O's.

I have the H2OC and XOG with Lakemaster 08 chips and wouldnt get nothing else. laugh

If you could choose between the two, which one would you get? I see the XOG is on sale right now, and I'm leaning toward it even though I always thought I'd get the H20c. What do you think?

I doubt they will replace their best selling line.

The new ones will be much more expensive so I doubt they will sell as well as the H2O's.

It looks like the Endura Outback (color) will be less than the H20c. The H20's have been around forever, so maybe the new ones will add some technology improvements/additions to the iFinder line? I know the new ones have touch screen and USB connectivity. The touch screen isn't a selling point for me, but being able to plug into your PC might be handy since downloadable content is growing. The H20's are proven though, so maybe that's the best option.

Originally Posted By: MILLELACMANIAC
I have the H2OC and XOG with Lakemaster 08 chips and wouldnt get nothing else. laugh

If you could choose between the two, which one would you get? I see the XOG is on sale right now, and I'm leaning toward it even though I always thought I'd get the H20c. What do you think?

I have both and I use the XOG more than the H2O but that's because I'm driving out. The battery life isn't very good on the XOG but the screen is a lot bigger, easier to read. If I'm walking out, it's the H2O because it's more water proof and better battery life.

Pro Fishing Supply has both of them and he's great to deal with. Send him an email and he'll be glad to help you out with your decision.

http://www.profishingsupply.com/products.htm

I know its old hearing it but the H20c is just a great unit. Its really nice because there is every accesory available and its very user freindly. I got mine this fall and it has proven to be pretty durable too. The color screen is easy to see and with mapcreate it makes the contour lines and vegitation types really pop. My old garmin etrex vista served me well, but the h2o is just more bang for the buck.

expeditionc and huntc are the same with a few extra featues, I have the hunt c am very happy with it, it has a added barometric pressure, and altimeter, up to 2000 waypoints vs 1000 with the h20, a mp3 player and a few other hunting related features you can use or just disable the hunt mode and its exactly the same as the h20 c to use, the unit also floats as long as you use energizer lithium batteries as they are lighter weigth.

The new ones will have a 2 inch screen vs the old 3 inch screen, there is no way id want to go to a smaller screen, the 3 inch screens are small enough. Also screens scratch super easy, so theres no way id ever puposely want to touch one. Id buy one of the ifinders, they have a cable to plug to the pc you can get, and id buy one quick because they are selling out fast! I went to st cloud and could only find one store that had any. Gander had some hunt c, and fleet had some h20 left otherwise everyone was sold out, and may not restock till april when the new ones arrive.

I have a garmin 120. It has the radio in it I thought was cool but my buddy has the h2o c that thing rocks! I need some software for mine and I think I down load 2M on it. Anybody has some old software they dont want,that works for it, I could use it. ;-)

The new ones will have a 2 inch screen vs the old 3 inch screen, there is no way id want to go to a smaller screen, the 3 inch screens are small enough. Also screens scratch super easy, so theres no way id ever puposely want to touch one. Id buy one of the ifinders, they have a cable to plug to the pc you can get, and id buy one quick because they are selling out fast! I went to st cloud and could only find one store that had any. Gander had some hunt c, and fleet had some h20 left otherwise everyone was sold out, and may not restock till april when the new ones arrive.

Actually this is wrong. The new ones have a 2.7" LCD vs 2.83" LCD on the H20c or 3.00" LCD on H20. I don't like the touch screen idea either though, and thanks for the info about the PC cable. I'll have to look into that.

Originally Posted By: deadeye
My old garmin etrex vista served me well, but the h2o is just more bang for the buck.

Hardly a comparison. That's like comparing a Moped to a Harley.

Bob

Ya, I was pretty much in awe the first time I used it. I always said, "how did i live without this" when I got my Etrex, but then I got the H2oc and said the same thing. Having a lakemap on the gps just makes it almost too easy. wink

Originally Posted By: BobJ
Originally Posted By: deadeye
My old garmin etrex vista served me well, but the h2o is just more bang for the buck.

Hardly a comparison. That's like comparing a Moped to a Harley.

Bob

Ya, I was pretty much in awe the first time I used it. I always said, "how did i live without this" when I got my Etrex, but then I got the H2oc and said the same thing. Having a lake on the gps just makes it almost too easy. wink

I think he was saying if you are going to compare name brands at least compare comparable models.

Thats like saying after buying a 1 ton ford I will never buy a chevy because that S-10 cant even haul a pallot of manure