• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jig Colors-

jigginjim

Green/White(glow), Red/Orange(glow) and Pink/White(glow) are my top picks in order for walleyes. I always have it glowing, and have a red hook.

Smallies always seem to nail the green for me. Im not sure what in the 'sippi they are eating that is green, but it always produces good. Orange seems to be good in the high/dirty times too.

Crappies its red first and then green.

I guess im fussy, but I always seem to snag a few fish even when its slow. Details can make a huge difference in the high pressure metro lakes.

I think you will get lots of opinions. For me

Walleyes

Stained water: pink - chartruse/green - orange

Clear water - gold - white

SMB

Stained water: glow green / pink

Clear water: anything they can see

both fished with a twister tail of some form of plastics.

That's what works for me in the lakes I fish up here in the north.

I cast and paint my own jigs for my sons and I. I paint in seven or eight different colors, that all work in different water and light conditions. My two most used are chartreus and yellow. But white gets a bunch of use. One of my son's teachers would ask me to make him 50 hot pink 1/16th oz jigs every year before Walleye opener. That's all he used on his favorite lake.

Chartreuse and then chartreuse and then chartreuse.

Seriously, I do use that color a majority of the time but I also like green, red, orange, gumdrop, black, and white. Not necessarily in that order.

Bob

I've always liked a combination with chartreuse. Chartreuse/green, chartreuse/red, etc. Gold many times has been the ticket for me over the years too. Lately however, I have to agree with Jiggin Jim. The last 2 years pink has been on my line more and more.

Red, White, and Blue on Kab.

Several years ago a guy camped next to me gave me a couple of those patriotic jigs and they worked better than any jig I had in my box. Every time I go to Kab I make sure I have them. I've tried them on other waters and they don't work any better than any other jig I have.

Top color for us last year was bubble gum, which is predominantly pink, but also some yellow and orange in there. I like this especially in stained water like the Rainy River and the water clarity you typically find up north. However it still works well in clear water too. Probably the second best was chartreuse or white. I experimented with alot of crazy color combinations. I really got pretty fond of using a pink head with a blue and white tail last year. This worked really well in the clearer lakes around the Brainerd area.

Chartreuse is a favorite of mine. I love orange and red as well. Most of my jigs are combo colored jigs.....chart/white, chart/orange, red/black, etc.

I'll typically start out with a chartreuse/orange though. Most lakes around my area have perch and 'gills that the 'eyes feed on, and these colors represent those types of fish.

White and blue are towards the bottom of my list, but I don't neglect them if the others aren't producing.

Ditto. I probably have a couple hundred jigs in a variety of sizes, but less than 20 of these jigs are something other than chartreuse. If you believe the science behind walleyes, though, they can only see black, gray, and shades of blue and orange (because of their respective places in the color spectrum and the shape/function of a walleyes eyes and how they accept direct light), so maybe a certain shade of gray caused by various colors is what really appeals to them???

The last few years I've been using more hair jigs than anything and they are usually multi-colored. Most common used for me are the white/silver-flash, yellow/orange, black/silver.

Chartruese would be the color I use most often with a regular jig-head.