Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bassislife

Rain Melt down is Perfect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

35 posts in this topic

This rain and melt down of the snow is what we needed for the last month!!

Finally we will be able to get the wheeled houses back out! Most lakes have 24-30" of ice and with this rain... and the hard freeze coming... We should be wheeeling anywhere we want for the next 2 months!!!

Will be heading north finally!!!!

your going to have a lot of "upset" snowmobilers if you wish for that. LOL

Coming off the lake tonight was terrible, a ton of water. Maybe the ice will be good a week from now, but right now its a mess!!

It will be for the next day or so until it freezes up on top.

Then we should be able to get back out on the ice where we wanted to go a month ago.. statewide! This is what we needed!!

Suprised i didnt blow the engine in the truck had it redlined in 4wd getting off the access tonight, what a mess. It will be nice when it refrezes but you couldnt pay me to drive back on it right now, theres whitecaps blowing across several areas. Many people need to get their houses off or get blocking them up, conditions are changing VERY rapidly. It will heal up but after it starts to do some honey combing im afraid. I hope it gets good and cold soon.

its kinda nice with warm temps i was qable to bank up my fish house tonight proable fish house

Cracks should open up and the water should be mostly gone in a day or two. Then with a little cold weather, you should be able to get anywhere.

your going to have a lot of "upset" snowmobilers if you wish for that. LOL

I drove by a trail today that was down to bare dirt.

Im thinking of working tip ups on ice skates would be kinda fun if the ice smoothes out a bit. Bad for the sleds but good for people with atvs and trucks. Its supposed to cool off, especially at night, in a couple days so the ice will be fine. It takes quite a bit to knock down 20+inches of ice so we should be on ice well into march.

Ya I hear ya. I just cant be out ice fishing when its raining. For some reason I just cant do it. The warm weather is ok, but something about being in a ice house when its raining seems messed up to me. I wonder what March will be like?

Ya I hear ya. I just cant be out ice fishing when its raining. For some reason I just cant do it. The warm weather is ok, but something about being in a ice house when its raining seems messed up to me. I wonder what March will be like?

It is odd I grant you, but I had one of my best days ever in a downpour out on the ice! It was March many years ago and it was raining buckets. (There was 30" of ice, and this was the first warm day all winter, so the ice was still plenty safe.) Pounded some huge bluegills for an hour and a half in the downpour. There was even the occasional thunder rumble waaaayyyy off in the distance. Was very weird. I will remember that forever.

I was out tearing it up on loon with my Alero....Man with the wind and the water on top of the ice I felt like I was driving across the open water.

I'm just hoping the water will freeze on top of the current lake roads to smooth them out, they are very rough right now.

Lets just hope it a quick hard freeze. we dont need any of that ice water ice layering [PoorWordUsage] going making the bumpy as h... agian

It going down below zero north of Brainerd Friday. That should freeze it up solid.

Do yu think this will get some oxygen in the lakes. Maybe the bite will pickup a little?

It will bring O2 levels up a little.

hmmmmmmm drifter

good point

never thought bout that

bassislife

where did u get that weather report ??

i'm going to winnie i see single digits at best highs in the 20s

Do yu think this will get some oxygen in the lakes. Maybe the bite will pickup a little?

so since there is no snow on the ice more light gets down to the weeds is that why the O2 leves will get higher?

that along with the running water from streams/rivers/melting snow. Should improve levels nicely. The thaw and rain was needed for some lakes.

It aint gunna be perfect if my permy freezes to the lake..I hear theres a lot of standing water.And its not gunna get real cold anytime soon.

It aint gunna be perfect if my permy freezes to the lake..I hear theres a lot of standing water.And its not gunna get real cold anytime soon.

I'd get it blocked up a little higher if I were you. I pulled my off last week not because of the ice but they weren't biting where I had it. Glad it's off for now.

was out driving around in the brainerd area and decided to take a few pics of the lakes in the area:

Pelican South access

pelican.jpg

North Long-Merrifield

northlong2.jpg

northlong.jpg

and the other lakes I drove by looked to be in the same condition.

Thanks for the pictures!! One more day in the 30's and the snow should be gone!

Friday it will freeze up tight and we will be good to go!

Greg52 what weather station are searching? AOL changed 5 degrees warmer then when I posted earlier. It is now a low of 0 for Friday!

I'm sure north of Brainerd it will be colder?