Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
minneman

OK...This Is Bad...

27 posts in this topic

Discovered tonight that cats got into my portable...the nose knows!

Besides fire..what gets rid of this stench??

..The cause is gone..

Try spraying it with some scent eliminating spray that you would use for deer hunting.It's fairly cheap and safe.Can'nt hurt.Good luck!

Bleach in the tub should help

bad idea... maybe... are you talking about bleach in the sled part of the portable or soaking the canvas in the bathtub?

maybe some of that P-B-Gone spray stuff for carpets?

I had a cat get into my deer hunting clothes once. The remedee should work for you, if you can get the tarp off of your house.

1. Pull the canvas and bunch up, no folding, and place in a large plastic tote. Add 2-3 gallons of White Vinigar, and top off with water. You need to have the entire thing covered in water. Soak for a Minimum of 24 hours.

2. Add a box of backing soda for each gallon of vinegar used and mix untill it stops foaming. This will neutralize the vinegar.

3. Dump out water.

4. Add 1-2 Tbs of Dawn dish soap and refill with water. Agitate. Scrub it good.

5. Dump water again and rinse, make sure you get all the soap off.

6. Hang to dry, or reatach and leave house open to dry.

The Vinegar and water will take care of the Urea and other chemicals in the cat wee. Everything else works on the vinegar.

Good luck, I have never had this method fail.

That sounds like a lot of work. How about setting it up outside in the rain and just leaving it open for a few days?

When I bought my Otter magnum the previous owner was a smoker. I just left it outside with all windows and door wide open for a few days. The smell was almost completely gone when I went to use it next.

That sounds like a lot of work. How about setting it up outside in the rain and just leaving it open for a few days?

I have run laundry though the wash for over a dozen cycles and not removed the cat urine smell. The Vinegar bath works first time, every time.

Eventualy you learn to get rid of the cat. ( whistle )

Bleach in the sled, not the bathtub, I guess you could take it two ways

stop the problem before there is one. shoot the cat!!! bang oops wrong cat bang oops hit the wrong cat again. Bang yes got it no more cat smell. (i have lived with cats all my life I don't like them very much and I know your pain when it comes to "cat smell") no don't shoot the cat but as long as you wash the canvs off good there should not be a smell. I have had "cat smell" on my clothes before my mom just washed them they were like new.

Nature's Miracle and fresh air.

Lots and lots of Nature's Miracle...

(Available on-line and BigBox petstores... I would also bleach the tub/sled if possible.)

Find any enzyme type product and liberally spray the whole house down. It will eliminate the problem not just mask the odor. Simply spray and walk away.

If you can find atmosklear it works on most anything, although I've never tried it on that. Google it. It's made in MN.

I would do the vinigar/baking soda approach as described above. Any way you look at it, your going to have to wash it because that stuff is soaked in there. After you wash it, spray it down with febreeze heavily while still damp and then let it dry. Its gonna be a process, but cheaper than a new house.

Bad Kitty!!! Time for kitty to take a dirt nap! Just Kidding! I would just get a tarp to store it under. Kitty smell wont get through the pvc and is cheap to replace if it were to happen again.

First off, urine contains notable amounts of ammonia (along with uric acid and some other contaminants). The mixing of urine and bleach will release chlorine gas from the bleach.

This application will help to neutralize odors from cat pee, but will also release poisonous Chlorine gas.

I do not recommend using bleach for cat urine issues.

Try this:

1 quart 3 percent hydrogen peroxide

1/4 cup baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)

1 teaspoon liquid soap or dish detergent

Mix these together and clean area.

Be sure to use this mixture immediately after it is created, as it is unstable.

Rinse with tap water afterward, and repeat if necessary.

This is a home remedy for skunk smell, but I have found that it works on other powerful scents also.

A couple of commercial products:

Epolean N-100, and SCOE 10-X. Spendy, but very effective.

I own a nuisance wildlife control business, so believe me, I know stink......

Enzymes will "eat" the cause of the problem away. No need for processes.

Bleach in the tub should help

Woah... Careful with this non-chalant bleach talk there Big Shooter...

In the wrong concentrations Bleach and Cat Urine create Chlorate Gas and Heat.

(Yes I learned this the hard way.)

I would rinse it twice with a hose...

Then put 2 table spoons of bleach into a gallon of water.... Spray it down... Wipe it down... Rinse...

Then repeat... Spray, wipe, rinse.

Between the rinses and the 2 bleach water rinses you should be okay.

Rug Doctor sells a spray bottle for Pet Urine. I just picked one up at the hardware store to get the smell of spilled minnow water out of my wifes van. I would give that a shot.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• 1 hour ago, blue_healer_guy said:

leech, it does sound like an odd concocktion.  but you gotta try it.  225 for 2 hrs, helps if u use thin bacon.

Man, I can see cream cheese but peanut butter? I may have to give it a go sometime, maybe the bacon will off set the oddness? :eek:  :)

Edited by leech~~
    • Sorry I missed that. The brown and blue wires are the Transmit TX and Receive Rx wires for connection via single cable to NMEA 0183 compatible devices. nmea 0183 is the protocol for compatible devices, computer, plotters, auto piolet, Radar, radio, etc. All of these devices including your GPS can be connected to a single cable. The brown and blue wires allows the sonar to communicate to other devices. Google nmea 0183 compatible devices for a raft of information on what this is.

My brother, a charter Capitan out of Cortez FL. uses these devices on his boat for off shore fishing up to 100 miles off shore. Nice to have to talk to other Capitan's ship to shore, radar, GPS and  to get back home without running into sunken islands.

• Trump stumped on terrorist quiz as he can't identify the leaders of ISIS and al-Qaeda – but Carly Fiorina shows she knows her Nasrallah from her al-Julani

• Radio host Hugh Hewitt asked Trump and Fiorina the same questions about terrorist leaders in separate taped interviews on Thursday
      • FIorina answered confidently and Trump seemed flummoxed, confusing 'Quds Forces' with 'Kurds forces'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3222467/Trump-stumped-terrorist-quiz-t-identify-leaders-ISIS-al-Qaeda-Carly-Fiorina-shows-knows-Nasrallah-al-

• 12 hours ago, delcecchi said:

He can't be as ignorant and inept as he has come across in TV interviews.  

I ask the same thing about the other 2 candidates, especially the one that is your favorite.

12 hours ago, delcecchi said:

That would have been a fine answer.   Unfortunately instead he sat there with his mouth hanging open (figuratively) and looked like a total dolt.   This is the second time he has handled something in an interview poorly.  I guess he feels he needs the exposure but unfortunately he is not especially good at the interview thing.   At the very least he needs to practice deflecting the question.  Perhaps the "nobody especially" but "I prefer to look to American leaders of the past like (Calvin Coolidge, Teddy Roosevelt, Thomas Jefferson, William Calhoun, whoever he wants)" 

He can't just sit there and and look stupid, which is what he did.    Maybe some role playing in preparation would have helped.   He can't be as ignorant and inept as he has come across in TV interviews.  

What do you care? I thought he was irrelevant anyway?

• Oh yeah.  I keep forgetting about all that modern computer stuff in cars.   So the computer would notice the tranny didn't shift all the way down as the car stopped?     There goes that theory.   

And why only after a couple hours of driving?   Some sort of overheating of the transmission fluid?  cooler plugged in the flush process?   

Here is a question for Carpmaster..... Is it different in the summer vrs winter?   Like you only have to drive 50 miles in summer and 200 in winter?  

You guys that actually know can feel free to ignore my suggestions if you don't want to waste time answering.  

• Man, I can see cream cheese but peanut butter? I may have to give it a go sometime, maybe the bacon will off set the oddness?  
    • Sorry I missed that. The brown and blue wires are the Transmit TX and Receive Rx wires for connection via single cable to NMEA 0183 compatible devices. nmea 0183 is the protocol for compatible devices, computer, plotters, auto piolet, Radar, radio, etc. All of these devices including your GPS can be connected to a single cable. The brown and blue wires allows the sonar to communicate to other devices. Google nmea 0183 compatible devices for a raft of information on what this is. My brother, a charter Capitan out of Cortez FL. uses these devices on his boat for off shore fishing up to 100 miles off shore. Nice to have to talk to other Capitan's ship to shore, radar, GPS and  to get back home without running into sunken islands.  
    • Trump stumped on terrorist quiz as he can't identify the leaders of ISIS and al-Qaeda – but Carly Fiorina shows she knows her Nasrallah from her al-Julani Radio host Hugh Hewitt asked Trump and Fiorina the same questions about terrorist leaders in separate taped interviews on Thursday FIorina answered confidently and Trump seemed flummoxed, confusing 'Quds Forces' with 'Kurds forces'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3222467/Trump-stumped-terrorist-quiz-t-identify-leaders-ISIS-al-Qaeda-Carly-Fiorina-shows-knows-Nasrallah-al-
    • I ask the same thing about the other 2 candidates, especially the one that is your favorite.   What do you care? I thought he was irrelevant anyway?  
    • Oh yeah.  I keep forgetting about all that modern computer stuff in cars.   So the computer would notice the tranny didn't shift all the way down as the car stopped?     There goes that theory.    And why only after a couple hours of driving?   Some sort of overheating of the transmission fluid?  cooler plugged in the flush process?    Here is a question for Carpmaster..... Is it different in the summer vrs winter?   Like you only have to drive 50 miles in summer and 200 in winter?   You guys that actually know can feel free to ignore my suggestions if you don't want to waste time answering.  
    • leech, it does sound like an odd concocktion.  but you gotta try it.  225 for 2 hrs, helps if u use thin bacon.
    • nw wisconee private marsh
    • Sorry, I thought the model was listed on the title of my question.  Anyway, Garmin 53dv EchoMap.  This one has downview, but is chirpless.  Seems like nice unit, tough.  Just wondered about those 2 wires.  Thanks.
    • should trigger a check engine light....
  • Our Sponsors