Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AnglersfoHabitat

Bill to spear any size pike on slot lakes

115 posts in this topic

This bill is coming from the same legislators who want non-resident spearing, two line fishing and now spearing any size Northern on slot lakes.

H.F. No. 621, as introduced - 86th Legislative Session (2009-2010) Posted on Feb 09, 2009

1.1A bill for an act

1.2relating to game and fish; eliminating slot limits for northern pike while spearing;

1.3amending Minnesota Statutes 2008, section 97C.385, subdivision 2.

1.4BE IT ENACTED BY THE LEGISLATURE OF THE STATE OF MINNESOTA:

1.5 Section 1. Minnesota Statutes 2008, section 97C.385, subdivision 2, is amended to read:

1.6 Subd. 2. Summer Angling limits must be same as and spearing limits. (a) If the

1.7commissioner reduces the limit of a species of game fish taken by spearing in any waters

1.8under section 97A.045, subdivision 2, the commissioner must reduce the limit for taking

1.9of the species by angling in the waters during the following open season for angling.

1.10(B) The commissioner shall not limit the size of a northern pike allowed to be taken

1.11by spear.

This bill is coming from the same legislators who want non-resident spearing, two line fishing and now spearing any size Northern on slot lakes.

Two line fishing I'm fine with.

I'm also fine with no slot spearing on slot lakes.

Full declaration: I am not a spearfisherman, but I'd like to give it a go one of these days, and I fully support the sport of it.

No data to support this assumption, but I submit that spearing pressure on Northern Pike relative to angling pressure is pretty light. Also, (yes, I realize this opens up another argument for the "antis" against spearing in general)I'm sure it can be quite challenging as a spearfisherman attempting to determine whether or not the fish that is staring down your decoy is "smaller than", or "greater than" whatever the slot limit is. To be safe, I'm sure most spearer's give themselves a few inches leeway on either side of said slot. Heck, most experienced spearer's likely have no problem estimating fish length from above. Still (and again relative to what I'm assuming spearing pressure vs. angling pressure is generally) I don't think it would be much of an issue.

Can of worms....Open.

I havent speared in years but i think its a good idea. I am however against the 2 lines in summer, i feel our lakes have enough fishing pressure as it is.

The limit is the limit!!!!no matter how many lines you use.

Always too much government!

I guess I am reading this bill a little differently than others.

Quote:

1.5 Section 1. Minnesota Statutes 2008, section 97C.385, subdivision 2, is amended to read:

1.6 Subd. 2. Summer Angling limits must be same as and spearing limits. (a) If the

1.7commissioner reduces the limit of a species of game fish taken by spearing in any waters

1.8under section 97A.045, subdivision 2, the commissioner must reduce the limit for taking

1.9of the species by angling in the waters during the following open season for angling.

---In layman's terms, doesn't this say that if spearers are giving a certain limit on a lake, than summer anglers recieve the same limit?

Quote:
1.10(B) The commissioner shall not limit the size of a northern pike allowed to be taken

1.11by spear.

---And when this is added on to the above quote doesn't it extend the reciprocity to length limits? So, a lake couldn't have one slot for spearers, say 24"-36" and than NO slot for anglers.

How will that law apply to Muskie waters no spearing=No catching!

I'm sure the muskie group is reading this and acting

How do the spearers have different regs then summer anglers? A summer angler can't keep a fish in the slot just like a spearer. The only difference is that you can't C&R a fish that's been drilled with a spear...not successfully anyway.

There is data that these slots do work to increase the size of pike. The dark house guys sat in the same meetings I did where the DNR presented the data. If you look at the Long Range Esox Management Plan (it's posted on the DNR's site) it give some information to that end. I have the presentation here somewhere I'll try to dig up.

The bottom line is that hammer handle pike are the true scourge to many MN lakes. Their numbers and apatite is far greater then any other game fish species. Large pike by nature keep the little ones in line and when they're removed from the system you have problems. That's why these pike regs exist.

i wouldnt neccisarily agree with your last paragragh. the bowstring chain up in itasca county as BIG pike in it yey the small pike are quite plentiful to the point that you limit is 9 slimers. big pike dont always control the little pike population. on another note i spear and if theres a slot limit and theres one in my hole that is questionable it swims away. i and i know alot of spearers that practice that form of catch and release ALOT!

First off I am all for spearing but I think the same regs should apply to spearers as they do to anglers. If you open it up for them then it should be open for everyone. There is plenty of pressure on pike even with the slots. I thinks its only fair that the spearers have the same regs as anglers do. If you can bring any scientific evidence supporting that this won't be detrimental to a lakes pike population then I might change my mind.

If "alot" of spearers do that then why do we need to change the regs?
To keep it fair! I dont spear but there should be no advantages for one type of taking fish over another.

i didnt say they needed to change the regs. whatever they decide i will abide by. and yes i think the regs should be the same open water or hard water, otherwise to confusing.

I spear alot and I see alot of pike and dont spear everyone that comes into view. Alot of anglers out there see spearing as an easy way to take big pike or numbers of them and this is not true ,this past weekend we spearing people had a get together on a lake with alot of pike in it and some big ones there were 13 guys and girls out spearing and only 1 fish was taken in 6-7 hours of spearing and I think only 3 others were seen and they werent very big. spearing gets so sterotyped.

I am for spearing any size pike in slot lakes and think that summer anglers should be able to have the same regs also I am for 2 lines in the summer because as someone stated a limit is a limit for example 10 crappies any way look at it 10 is all you can keep weather your useing one line or two. How does that put more pressure on a lake?

just my 2 cents

I am against this. All this work to grow bigger pike and now allow those fish to be killed? There are plenty of pike lakes to spear. How effective would the slots be if those slot fish can be taken by spearers? In order for special regs to work they need compliance. I am not for elimanating the slots either. I like the option to fish trophy pike lakes.

How is there two different sets of rules? An angler in the summer can't harvest a slot pike. A dark house angler can't keep a slot pike. Correct me if I'm wrong but that's the same for each isn't is?

I guess to me it is all about what fish are harvested. The open water anglers can target all the sizes, but they have the advantage of releasing the out of slot fish. You cannot release a speared fish, so by default a speared fish is harvested.

I guess if there is a harvest slot on a particular lake, then it should be that way across the board.

the regs should be the same open water or hard water, otherwise to confusing.

Just like we can fish with two lines in the winter but not the summer? whistle

Im sure its harder to tell what the size of fish is underwater but I dont really see why they would get any kind of preference. Im not sure about the amount of harvest that spear fisherman take, but I would be willing to bet its much smaller than anything else. The problem is that its a dead fish if you hit it, so I could see how a slot would be hard to deal with. I guess its got to be up to the experts on this one.

It is going to committee.

I am pretty sure it will look a whole lot different by the time anyone votes on it.

If it even makes it to a vote.

When the slot limits were first being discussed, I sent a note to Ron Payer raising the issue of proper identification of length in the heat of battle. My concern was (and still is) that I don't care who you are - it is possible to misjudge a fish in the water.

What I proposed is to issue a couple of "oops" tags to spear fishermen. My thought is that if you spear in a slot lake and stick a slot fish by accident, you would not be an automatic lawbreaker/outlaw. Since you only have one or two "oops" tags, you had better get the sizing figured out quickly, or force yourself to pass on anything even close to the slot.

The reply from Mr. Payer (and I'm paraphrasing) in effect said that while the DNR had considered this option, they felt that the tags would be used improperly - and would actually encourage folks to spear slot fish. In other words, they didn't feel the spear fishermen would follow the intent of the slot or the oops tag.

Like many spear fishermen, I support the concept of slots on lakes capable of producing true trophy fish. I was disappointed that the DNR was so unwilling to make some allowance for the nature of spear fishing.

This is a great topic to discuss!

As most of you know, i am a die hard spearing fisherman and a monster fan of the sport.

As i have been reading about this, i feel that it is in the hands of the DNR. I feel that if there goign to have a slot limit on the lakes, there doing it for a reason.

As a spearer, if i know there is a lake that has a slot limit, i will not go there for the simple reason that you just dont know how big or small the fish is. I have been doing this my whole life, and fish dont relex in the water for me anymore, but that doesnt mean that i can tell how big or small they are.

I think its only far that everything should be pushed the same way, and that one sport shouldnt get favored over the other one!

I think a true viable option for slot fish of any species mistakenly killed (by spear or hook and line) needs to be addressed.

I don't think removing the slot for spearers is the key.

It opens a can of worms that unravels everything.

Such as shouldn't the restriction be lifted for anglers who catch fish that have "swallowed the hook" or pulled fish to fast and the fish is dead or going to die anyway.

What ever they come up with I think to be fair the person who made the mistake or accident should not be allowed to keep the fish.

Have a CO confiscate or a collection point for these fish to be used to be given to the old timers or the food shelf or some thing!

I believe they do this for venison that people don't want the fish could go to the same place.

A 5 billion dollar deficit and the legislature is taking up time with this? What do you say we keep all the same regulations for ONE YEAR and call it good?

Anybody know why we don't have lakes filled with "hammerhandle" muskies? Then why are we trying to manage them the same way?

Just because the guys dragging lindy rigs across Gull, Winnie, Leech, and Mille Lacs don't want to keep northerns, why can't the rest of us?

Anybody figure out a way to keep your pike from swimming away on top of the ice today?