• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

4Buck, My son and I usually just hit the gravel roads around our house. I'm in the east metro. We have found agates from slivers up to almost the size of a golf ball. Mostly they are the size of a nickel or dime.

The other "Good" spots that have produced baseball sized agates around here for friends are the farm fields.

Most of the farmers will let you walk their fields before planting season if you ask . You might get some funny looks volunteering to pick rock though!

The north shore is usually my biggest bust of all! I mean we have found small ones up there but it get rock-hounded to death. We still hit the beaches every time we are up but nothing bigger than a finger nail in size in years! We have found some Thompsonite and Amethyst though. Mostly lots of Leaverite grin There are some good rock shops up there in Two Harbors and Beaver Bay if your in the area.

If you are really serious you have to hit a gravel pit! Not that easy to gain access though. I know of one that charges to let you paw around the piles with a rake and keep what you find. Last year we found a few agates but cleaned up on fossils!

This works for me:

1. Walk into the sun so they "light up" on the gravel roads.

2. Make sure to get out after a rain.

3. Bring something to put them in, it keeps the pants cleaner.

Have fun and post some pics!

Ferny.

Got out with the kids a couple days ago to my old agate stomping grounds from when I was a kid. One of them had a school project he needed agates for and we did find a couple, but I picked up this:

3469671891_a524d4034a.jpg

3469676321_970e96f037_o.jpg

Used to hunt agates as a kid all the time. It was pretty fun getting back out. smile Thanks for sharing guys!