Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DARK30

Found Some Color!

26 posts in this topic

Thanks for the idea Dark! Me and matt found some good rockS today, nice and wet out made it alot easier to find them. Pics not that good.

004-4.jpg

My phone took a [PoorWordUsage] but I'll call you guys soon.

I'm looking for one like this!...

2lbs11oz1200.jpg

Ok, I figured out my phone... I showed it to my Wife and she turned it onbaby.gif

Note to self.... Use "END" not "SEND" to turn it off and on. I'm such a geekcrazy.gif

Dark

Those are some awesome agates. Last summer my wife and I found some small agates, on the north shore, and now we are hooked. Her b-day is comeing up in april, do you have any pointers for spots to look around the metro? Any help is apprecitated

Thanks

4Buck, My son and I usually just hit the gravel roads around our house. I'm in the east metro. We have found agates from slivers up to almost the size of a golf ball. Mostly they are the size of a nickel or dime.

The other "Good" spots that have produced baseball sized agates around here for friends are the farm fields.

Most of the farmers will let you walk their fields before planting season if you ask . You might get some funny looks volunteering to pick rock though!

The north shore is usually my biggest bust of all! I mean we have found small ones up there but it get rock-hounded to death. We still hit the beaches every time we are up but nothing bigger than a finger nail in size in years! We have found some Thompsonite and Amethyst though. Mostly lots of Leaverite grin There are some good rock shops up there in Two Harbors and Beaver Bay if your in the area.

If you are really serious you have to hit a gravel pit! Not that easy to gain access though. I know of one that charges to let you paw around the piles with a rake and keep what you find. Last year we found a few agates but cleaned up on fossils!

This works for me:

1. Walk into the sun so they "light up" on the gravel roads.

2. Make sure to get out after a rain.

3. Bring something to put them in, it keeps the pants cleaner.

Have fun and post some pics!

Ferny.

Thanks so much for the info. Earlier someone mentioned soaking their agates in acid, and then baking them with mineral oil. Can anyone shed some light on these processes? Thanks guys

Kyle

Found my biggest agate today. (9oz) Finaly the sun came out that helped. Hey Dark3o, Matt said he talked to you the other day, So when are we going out to do something??

The best spot that I can think of in the metro area is any commercial building roof top you can get on I am a plumber and on this type of roof all the time and constantly picking up nice agates

I was a landscaper years back and used to find lots of 2-4oz tumblers in with the river rock.Now I look in farm fields and river beds and find my agates there.

Nice video of the rock hunt.

Same area? I did not see a dead elm in the video?

Just rocks?

Thanks Dark for my agate primer....found this one out chubbn today. It has a new home in the bottom of my tank smile. I wish I would have wetted it before I took the photo...its wet now.

PICT0026.jpg

Now you'll be looking at rocks grin

Nice bunch of minnows too!

I put the rod down on the bank and spent the next half hour looking around for rocks smile.

Got out with the kids a couple days ago to my old agate stomping grounds from when I was a kid. One of them had a school project he needed agates for and we did find a couple, but I picked up this:

3469671891_a524d4034a.jpg

3469676321_970e96f037_o.jpg

Used to hunt agates as a kid all the time. It was pretty fun getting back out. smile Thanks for sharing guys!

Very nice HP!

Awesome rock!! I'd love to find something like that, but I am sure they really aren't too abundant in my neck of the woods.