• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Is anyone else getting pumped up to fish this tourney? It can't get here fast enough for me! There are so many ways to catch an eye during this time of year on the St. Louis. The endless possibilities keep me awake at night!

Questions, will the fish be spread out or will it be like last year with most of the fish in the top mile of the river? Will last years crankbait patterns be hot again, or will the common bottom bouncer patterns prevail?

Will the Northlander ever get out of the Grand Slam jinx? Will the boys from Green Bay teach us another lesson? Will Cheffrey ever beat Drew in the yearly bet? He still owes for last year by the way! Will Hawgeye be able to repeat?( I doubt it)lol!

Finally, will anyone be able to bring 4 fish over 25 inches each day? I think it can be done. Some team will have to find an out of the way place or pattern that they have to themselves. I'll guess a winning weight of 42 lbs.

Drew

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Get a life man. Its not even March yet. grin You should be fishin the bay.

Nobody will bring in 4 fish 25" a day. Winning weight will be the same as years previous. The pattern wont be known until the day before the contest. Cranks will not win it this year. At least not exclusive crankin like last year. Hawgeye will fall down the rankings right above me if I fish. wink

Oh and the pattern will be something Im not doing in a place Im no where near. Well not really. I always know where the bite is the DAY BEFORE. crazy Last years upper river stall probably wont happen again but very well could. I just want to get above 23 the morning it opens and open a can of Northlander Jigging School Whoop A55. laugh

One of these years Ill get in the money again. I havent since my 1st year.

It might not be March yet but it's 39 degrees with winds gusting to 30 mph and heavy rain. Isn't this about the usual weather we fish Island together Steve? wink As far as The Grand Slam goes, let's not forget that there's a new kid in town. whistle

Theres always a new kid on the block trying to prove himself Mark. They usually go running back to mommy crying. And in your case with a lighter wallet. wink

By the way no following me or fishing my spots. Oh and the whole river has my spots so ya best just stay home. Besides it would save ya some embarrasment. whistle

Who ya going to fish with?

See what ya started Drew? The GS trash talk has already started and Im still catching walleyes through 24" of solid ice. crazy

Grand slamma

keeping me up at night big time. We need to get that culling out of there and I will guarantee 4 over 25". heres another guarantee, crankbaits (Jakes 10") will win it and I'll be pulling them.

Culling: we need to have a serious discussion about this one, either its legal or its not. I am sick of every boat coming in right at the buzzer with there limits of eyes. I guess lots of people are catching there last fish with only minutes to spare, one hall of a coincidence.

Is there going to be a second grand slam this year? if so, lets get those dates figured out sooner than later.

going broke buying secret baits,

Dave

Drew: lost your number again. call me sometime and we'll [PoorWordUsage]

Culling has never been legal in the Grand Slam Man. Once its in your livewell its yours.

As far as boats coming in at the buzzer. Not all of them are cullers. Some are "lookers" if ya know what I mean. wink

Jar Jar you and Ran should get into the game. Its more money for the rest of us to win. grin

Wow,

I didn't realize I'd spark this kind of debate. North did you wake up on the wrong side of the bed? What's this about you not fishing this great event? It's always a thrill to fish against the best.

Gunflint....Ahh new blood, we are always looking forward to some new sticks. Hopefully, for you, you'll teach the old dogs some new tricks!

Hawgeye, your getting a new boat nobody wins this tourney in a fancey new rig. You should know, it gets won with a dirty small camo boat. I'm thinkin a top 30 at best for you!lol

Jar Jar, bring it on!

Drew

Anyone know which day the river opens above the 23 bridge?

Wow The smack has started this soon well great job Drew getting Steve all worked up and tom will chime in and we will have a game on are hands.

This years Dates are

May 16th @ 17th 2009,

June 6th @ 7th 2009

Entry will be the same on both tournaments $230.00 per team.

we are only permitted for 50 boats so it will be first come, and if you fished the may tournament you will be in for the June tournament.

Pay out is 80% plus door prizes it is a great time.

Plus we will talk more on no coaling of fish at the rules meeting.

The flyer's will be mailed out by the boat show just like every year. Well have a great time at our rules meeting to go over all rules. So lets leave that for the 15th of may and not hear on this site or you can call me.

Thank you all for your interest.

Drew, did I not pay you? Musta confused it with your realtor tax on my house! smirk

Honest mistake, guess we'll go double or nothing, that is.....if you want to risk your winnings!

I'm actually working on my wife to fish it with me this year, I win either way. No whining about me fishing, and she can lose a hog at the back of the boat as good as Ripstick or Quickstrike!

As for culling, I have yet to bring in a live limit in this darn tourney. I think that will be my goal this year!

Quote:
My stuff was fresh Steve, and having a wedding go to he!! due to staff not having there [PoorWordUsage] together is a little different than the picture you paint. Sorry, duty called.

I believe we lost power that day due to the storm that chased you off the river. If I remember right, you were crying like a 10 year old girl with a skinned knee when you got to GSL grin Don't try and blame your inadequate fishing skills on a well prepared staff that had everything under control when you got there whistle

Quote:
My stuff was fresh Steve, and having a wedding go to he!! due to staff not having there [PoorWordUsage] together is a little different than the picture you paint. Sorry, duty called.

I believe we lost power that day due to the storm that chased you off the river. If I remember right, you were crying like a 10 year old girl with a skinned knee when you got to GSL grin Don't try and blame your inadequate fishing skills on a well prepared staff that had everything under control when you got there whistle

Thats funny there boys. grin

Cheffrey its ok you dont have to explain to anyone why you never weigh a limit and have more dead fish than anyone in the history of the GS. whistle

This is the kind of debate this forum has been missing for quite some time! North, I don't remember you ever talkin this much smack! Does this mean your not going to fish? What kind of changes are in order?

Cheffery, as I recall you paid half the debt. If you want to up the anti...game on!

Skippers Kid, 50 boat max? We should be able to fill that.

Those of you that want to test your skills against the "local legends" here's your chance!

Drew

Im not sure about the changes. I may run my boat this year and let Randy get back to fishing with his better half. I think she really misses that.

Hey I only talk smack to the few on here who fish it. Cheffrey especially. grin

I just hope we get good weather this year. I really want to be able to fish more of the river than just whats above the marina. Heck some of my best bites have come down below the bong that time of year.

Oh ya I may poke my jigging rods up by the 23 for a bit. wink Old habbits are hard to break man. cool

Bohunk there is always room for a Iron Ranger. My wife is from Gilbert but I dont hold it against her. Well not too much. I just tel her now she is De-Ranged. LOL.

1st GS had low 40's for boats last year I think and the 2nd only had 6-8 but the river was the mudiest I have ever seen it. Absolutely terrible weather.

Its a great fun contest with some very nice fish caught every year. Pay out is good and there is a bunch of FMers who fish it yearly.

Some decent prizes too.

Mr D's always is fun after and thats where all the serious smack talk gets squashed because the numbers dont lie.

Hope to see ya there and if ya have questions e-mail me or try www.grandslamwalleye.com