• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

How is aluminum sheet siding attached?

hovermn

Houses like the Grand Lodge and now Ice Castle are using aluminum sheets for siding. On enclosed trailers and Semi's, I've seen it attached with solid rivets. However, on the fish houses, I don't see any fasteners. While I haven't gone up and inspected one closely, from a distance I can't figure out how it's attached.

Any ideas? I'd like to get rid of the vinyl siding on mine and use painted aluminum sheets.

I visited the makers of the lodge while building my house. The sheets are just tapped to the studs. But their houses are then spray foamed which also acts as a glue. Impossable to ever get those sheets off. Mine is screwed on then spray foamed. Tape was 2 expensive for me. spent 150 on the screws and that was a bargain compared to the tape

I am trying to attach the siding on mine right now and having some problems. my frame is shell(frame and walls) is 100% powdercoated and the tape will not stick to it. however it is crazy how well it sticks to the aluminum. Any ideas on how to attach it to powdercoat?? it s the 3m tape.

That tape would be 3M VHB (Very High Bond) and it is some amazing stuff. It is used for a lot of things in the commercial building industry. I stuck two pieces of 16 GA. 316 Stainless Steel together with a 1"x3" strip and they will never come apart. Stuff is 1/32" thick and when used properly will last forever.

The sheets are just tapped to the studs. But their houses are then spray foamed which also acts as a glue.

Now that makes sense! I just couldn't see the sheets being taped to the studs alone. Moisture (over time) and tape just don't do well together.

The VHB is extremely expensive, and caution must be used while laying the sheets together I suppose. Most certainly not a job for one person while laying it out That could make for a very expensive oops grin

Thanks guys! That answers my question. smile

That tape was to be used for RV's in the summer months!! A few manufactures like Ice Castle amd the Lodge from Distinct builders have tried it without much luck for fish houses because its not made for 30 below!! Screw your siding don;t glue or tape it. Rememember we are in Minnesota not Texas!!

Okay, so how do they do it without fasteners now? You look at the ice castles and there are no fasteners showing on their new flat skin houses.

I'm not contesting...I'd like to know. The next house will NOT be getting vinyl siding, especially after my little escapade on Vermillion a couple weeks ago, plowing the snow drifts with the V-nose. Too many pieces to replace now eek

Here's some interesting reading taken from 3M's HSOforum:

The exception to this performance-temperature relationship is at very low temperatures when high impact stress along with high frequencies are encountered. The acrylic polymer from which VHB Tapes are made goes through its glass transition temperature at approximately -40°F (-40°C). At low temperatures, when the adhesive and foam core are firm or glassy, the ability to absorb impact energy is reduced. This type of shocky behavior is demonstrated by the lower performance of VHB Tape 9473 as noted at -65°F (-54°C) in Figure 1.

The potential for shock failure is dependent on the temperature, the frequency of the impact stress and the material to which the adhesive is bonded. With the number of variables involved, the potential for cold shock cannot be accurately described or tested on

laboratory sized specimens. Although it is not generally seen to be a limiting factor in many actual applications, small laboratory samples can be made to exhibit brittle behavior at extremely cold temperatures. In full scale applications, the frequency distribution and energy concentration would generally be expected to be within the limits of VHB tape capability. For this reason, it is suggested that small scale tests not be solely relied upon to

draw conclusions about this performance characteristic. While we do not see low temperatures to be a limiting factor in many actual applications, we suggest that a thorough evaluation be conducted by the user at actual use conditions on applications where high impact stress is expected at low temperatures.

In one example of a cold temperature application, exterior stainless steel anti-chaffing strips on a commercial aircraft are bonded to the wing flaps with VHB Tape 9473 and are routinely subjected to temperatures from -65°F (-54°C) to more than 150°F (66°C) several times each day, as well as the typical vibration and

environment which the outside of a passenger jet encounters. This application has been in use since 1984 and continues to be utilized on new models of the aircraft. While 3M does not recommend use of VHB tapes in exceedingly cold temperatures, one can see by the above application that with the user’s proper evaluation and design even these harsh environments can be tolerated under certain circumstances as determined to the user’s satisfaction.

Don't know about the tape. I did speak with the guys at the Lodge, and they were using a glue that requires a special gun to apply. I though he said it was a 2 part system, and that the gun alone was around $400.00, and the glue was quite expensive. He said it was the only screwless fastening that they will use.

Hope this helps,

dukhntr

3M VHB is some tough stuff. We use it on metal skins on our machines. The only way to get them off is pry...hard and ruin the panel! I read they were using them to hold body panels on some cars. That isn't a very nice environment in winter either but it works.

Ferny.