• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Big Al out for season

Scott M

Star Tribune Staff Report:

Al Jefferson, the Timberwolves' best player, will likely miss the rest of the season with a torn knee ligament. He suffered the injury Sunday night in New Orleans near the end of the Wolves' 101-97 loss to the Hornets.

Jefferson leaped, landed awkwardly on one foot and tumbled to the floor. He got back up, hopped toward the Wolves' bench but collapsed, writhing in pain and clutching his right knee. The torn ACL is the same injury suffered by 2007 first-round pick Corey Brewer earlier this year.

"He's our main thing, the focus of what we do," Foye said after Sunday night's game. "Coming down on one leg, all his weight, heard a pop. That's scary to even think about. You've got to hope for the best and pray it's not the worst. You hope he only misses a couple of games. That's better than 32."

Jefferson leads the Wolves in scoring and rebounding, averaging a career-high 23.1 points and 11 rebounds per game. In the past 10 games, he has averaged 26.9 points and 11.8 rebounds and has come up big against the toughest obstacles, scoring 36 points and grabbing 22 rebounds against the Houston Rockets and 7-6 center Yao Ming and coming up with 34 points and 11 rebounds against the defending NBA champion Boston Celtics.

The loss of Jefferson is another bitter pill to swallow for a team already saddled with significant injury problems. The first big blow came when Brewer blew out a knee in late November and was lost for the season. Then Kevin Ollie, who had been a frequent starter at point guard, dislocated his left elbow in early January and hasn't been back. And starting power forward Craig Smith suffered a cracked rib last week and is expected to be out at least until after this weekend's All-Star break. Additionally, swingman Mike Miller has missed significant time with ankle injuries.

They weren't going anywhere this season anyway. Boost their position in the draft and hope Big Al heals 100% for next year.

I have to disagree. Maybe they weren't going anywhere this year. They have made one heck of a run. 32 games left and they're back 15. For as much as they have struggled thats not bad at all. Hopefully big Al recovers as Cardinal or Madsen will see some some more PT.

I was watching that game and I swear I started thinking we are so lucky to have a player that never gets hurt again, similar to Garnet, then all of a sudden, down goes Big Al.

I take full resposiblity. Now what am I supposed to watch on TV? I started to really enjoy watching the T.wolves again.

Gophers? spiraling down to the NIT again. Wild? I can only watch in fast forward, stoping at the fights and goals.

Do they televise La Crosse yet?