• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Animals stealing my fish!

kstruck

On saturday afternoon I went out to the local lake and caught a couple sunfish, not enough for a meal, but enough to combine with some earlier caught fish for a nice supper.

Well I got home around 4 and didn't immediately have time to fillet the four fish as I had an event to attend. I figured I would do them the next morning, as it would be late by the time I got home. So I placed them in a bucket by my front door. Boy did I have a surprise waiting when I came home. As I made my way up the front stoop I peered in the bucket and nearly jumped out of my boots. Laying curled up and apparently sleeping was a possum. Now I absolutely hate rodents, especially something this big and ugly. When I came out the next morning he had left half a carcass and had relieved himself as well into my favorite fishing bucket.

I learned a good lesson to keep the fish in the garage from now on. But I am curious to hear you stories of animals below us on the food chain taking our meals! I have seen several times eagles swooping down to take fish laying on the ice. But I am sure there are others.

.... Laying curled up and apparently sleeping was a possum. Now I absolutely hate rodents, especially something this big and ugly. When I came out the next morning he had left half a carcass and had relieved himself as well into my favorite fishing bucket....

Now I am not sure if you live in town or not, but there is a key line in the above quote... ... "When I came out the next morning..." In Neighbor guys world, there wouldn't be a "next morning".

Click Click... BANG!!! If you know what I am saying.

We've had feral cats hop in the back of the pickup and steal our pheasants while we were hunting a private farm in SD. I would have put some lead in that cat if I saw her do it. She picked them clean off the bone.

When I was little a wolf decided to ruin my childhood and eat my pet duck!

Ya i would have to agree with neighbor guy too. click click boom!

When i lived up in ely there was a eagle that would always hang around one of the crappie holes and watch for people thowing fish out. He would even swoop in and snag a couple if you were checking your tip up or getting firewood.

We caught a keeper walleye on Fox Lake by Sherburn a couple months ago, and threw it out on the ice. One of the idiots that live on the lake let their dog run around, it stole the walleye. No human prints, but dog tracks everywhere outside.

The closest thing I've had to this was when I thought it was a good idea to place my cooler full of room temp adult beverages outside to cool down. And friends dog decided to help himself to my stash. My 12 pack became a 5 pack, very disappointing.

Had some walleyes on the rocks while shore fishing once. Coons took them all.

Another time at the cabin we had some walleye in a cooler in the boat. Coons got in there and left the fish, but took our dognuts! That was almost worse. That was breakfast.

We also had two deer hind quarters taken off the meat pole. Still can't imagine what did that. Bear? Wolf?

Had a tiger musky attack and take one crappie from a stringer on Independence when I was a kid. That was pretty cool to watch it thrash. Minnows left in the bucket tied to the dock only to have every minnow gone the next morning. Thinking muskrat but dunno.

Come to think about I also had an encounter with an angry snapping turtle, a huge one, looked like a dinosaur. We were in the Boundary Waters enjoying a nice cocktail by the fire, when we heard some action down by the lake. We had tied a stringer with a couple walleyes to an exposed root at the shoreline. Went down there with my head lamp and couldn't figure it out at first what it was. Sure enough it was a snapper with at least a 2 ft body. That made me think twice about swimming in those waters again!

Another time at the cabin we had some walleye in a cooler in the boat. Coons got in there and left the fish, but took our dognuts! That was almost worse. That was breakfast.

We also had two deer hind quarters taken off the meat pole. Still can't imagine what did that. Bear? Wolf?

Yea... I hate it when those coons eat my perfectly tasty dognuts!

I was camping on a lake in the boundary waters a couple years ago, and the fish we caught from camp we kept in a "livewell" we made with some rocks. The first night, my buddy left a smallmouth in there while we ate supper, when we went back down to fish, it was gone.

The second night, I had a northern in there that was about 6-7lbs, and we went up for supper. I happened to see an otter swimming near shore and headed towards the "livewell." We weren't fast enough to get our cameras, but did we get a heck of a show, watching an otter take down a decent sized northern. A fearless animal killing a fearless fish.

Another BWCA story. First day in, dinner is still frozen. Chicken fajitas, pre-made, we just have to warm them up. We decided to lay the baggies out on the rocks for a little while and do some fishing to let them thaw a bit, save a little propane for the stove. By the time we returned the gulls had eaten a good portion of our dinner, but they carefully avoided one of the peppers, I forget if it was the red or the green peppers. They liked the other color however and ate most of them.

Poster: DonBo

Subject: Re: Animals stealing my fish!

Another time at the cabin we had some walleye in a cooler in the boat. Coons got in there and left the fish, but took our dognuts

Anybody know what these taste like?? shocked

Poster: DonBo

Subject: Re: Animals stealing my fish!

Another time at the cabin we had some walleye in a cooler in the boat. Coons got in there and left the fish, but took our dognuts

Anybody know what these taste like?? shocked

blush Sorry, we really need spell checker here. blush Dognuts don't sound near as appetizing as dougnuts. sick