• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Wheelhouse questions

Blainebob

I have been leaning towards buying a wheelhouse instead of a perm but have a few questions- how long do the 30# lp tanks last, how long do the deep cycle batteries last and what exactly can you run off of them,what is the best way to drill holes,drill and then drop the house down to avoid getting snow inside? Im sure I have lots of others,but wont cram them all right now.

well.........it all depends on YOU i run one deep cycle and i can wach tv and run my fan for about 8 houres off of it and i use my gas strike master to drill my holes ...just have to let it air out for a little bit and the heat .....well i have a none vented heater and with a 30 pounder on it and i can go for i think about 2 days ....like 48 houres ....and the slush sleds work really good

In my house which is 6.5x12 a 30lb tank will last me closer to 5 strait days. Usually I will get atleast a full 24 hrs. out of my deep cycle. I have 2 inside 12 volt lights which i typically run only 1 at a time unless I need the extra light. 1 outside light that I use when I need to get sumthing outside or from the truck. I have 2 12 volt fans but again only run both when need be. As far as drilling goes, I jus set the house down and drill usually. I use a dust pan and a hand held whisk broom to clean up all the shavings, jus make sure that I dont fart around and give the shavings a chance to freeze down to the floor. Floor is dry within a hour or so.

Ice in a perm only lasts for the first couple hrs. It melts away quickly and since your usually in a perm for a good amount of time... by the time you pack up it will all be gone.. I spent the 50 bucks on the little plastic bin that fits over your catch cover and is supposed to catch all the ice chips and water. My advice there would be to save your money. It does catch SOME of the ice and whatnot.. but in my opinion.. not worth the 50 bucks.

Id rather use a shovel and just scoop it out the door.

Also in regards to a wheel house.. most are concerned with the CABLE style vs the STRAP or HYDRAULIC.. I was concerned as the wheelhouse I purchased was a cable.. turns out the cost of replacing the cable is a mere 15 bucks and it takes about 10 mins. I have an extra 4 feet of cable and a few cable clamps in the house just in case I snap one on the lake.. but no need to worry if the wheelhouse your looking into has a cable. Hit with some WD40 and fish away..

If you have an extension for your auger.. you can drill your holes and then drop the house. I do not. and the other day I needed every single inch to barely punch through.. Im thinking of getting an extension so I can avoid the issue.

We have a hydraulic wheel house. We drill first, scoop the slush form under the house on the outside and then drop. really slick and clean, but yes, always have an extension on. I find that even if drilling for the portable, the ext makes me start high, but I don't end up bent so far when it's time to haul the thing up either and I like that alot!

our house is 8x22 but spray foamed all around 2 to 3 inches thick. our 30# tanks will last 48 hours for sure, longer if it's warm. (non vented blue flame heater)

We run a 110v ceiling fan through an inverter and a few led lights as needed. The lights really draw next to nothing, the fan alone will go 24 hrs on one group 27 deep cycle. we have a small generator that runs everything during the day and recharges the battery, but in 8 hrs of run it doesn't fully charge the batt. we always have 2 batts in the house so we never get stuck (yet anyway) without power of the hydraulics, We have a 20" tube tv, but that makes the cooling fan on the inverter come on and the noise is annoying. now we bring a laptop and watch dvds on that, plug that in for power and were good.

I run a Desa Int Heat Blue flame heater, non-vented and i havent ever had a problem with CO or fumes in my house. My house isnt the most airtight though, and i always leave a window cracked, have vents above the bunks and run a CO detector. I think i paid around $120 for it brand new, 30,000 BTU max