• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cleaning Fish Mounts

IceIceBaby

I finally got my family room cleaned up enough to put up a fish mount that has been gathering dust for a couple of years. So, it's coated pretty good with a sticky dust residue. Any suggestions on what to use to clean it. Or, should I take it to a taxidermist?

It's the only big fish I ever caught, lol. But, it is a dandy....50 pound king salmon from the Kenai on a trip of a lifetime 9 years ago. My brother caught a 70 pounder minutes after I caught mine.

So, I'd like to be especially careful with it.

Thanks,

Al

When we lost my Father-in-law this summer, we inherited six walleye mounts and a 40" northern mount. He was a smoker, so they were pretty dingy. All I did was carefully use a damp to wet paper towel and gently wipe away the years of grime. It took a long time, but they look good now. The yellowing from the smoke is still there, but the built up dirt and dust came off with some effort. Here is one of them that I put in my wheelhouse:

wheelhouse_fish_mount.jpg

I would be careful using different cleaners on a mount as one does not know what was used as a finich clear coat. I could have been a water base or anything else.

Water and a rag will clen it up pretty nice. Just wipe the same direction as the scales and not against them.