• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

steelhead steams Duluth?

Snake River  King

I'm nowhere near a pro but I've put my time up on the North Shore. There is a spring run but it is tough. Not only will the fish be scarce but there will be plenty of guys out there to fill up the small rivers. You'll see lines infront of the mouths of the rivers. Get there EARLY! Watch the water very closely for fish coming in. If you do a search, there are a few threads that talk about gear, presentation, and popular locations. Don't be suprised to have a fishless day. GL

Also don't be suprised if you don't get any realy good pointers on where to go. Most of us steelheaders are VERY secretive.

It is lots of fun. My first year doing it I caught 5 fish. I fished nearly every day. It takes years of fishing the N shore to truly get a good pattern down. both bait and flies work. try worms, waxies, spawn, gulp or butterworms. for flies try stone fly nymphs, yarn or egg imitations. woolly worms/buggers have their time and place as well. If you stop by the fly shop on superior street they will hook you up with what is working.

Remember, all steelhead caught in Minnesota are Catch and release only. If you try to keep a steelie and some one sees you, you can probably count on tip being called. Most steelheaders are very protective of their fish.

that said, steelheading is a blast, just remember to be respectful of the other anglers, and you will have a good time.

thats right...no point even trying anymore:) Big hit; yes, many of the trout from the stocked lakes don't measure up taste wise, but some do:) Depending on the forage available in a given lake, and how long they've been in the lake, they can be fine eating.

wow thanks for all the great info guys, Im accually a newbie when it comes to fly fishing, i just heard some people go up to duluth and catch some... Most likly I wont catch anything just cuz I know nothing about the fish, but it will be fun just getting out and hoping for maybe 1 fish. My first 3 times I went trout fishing I got skunk everytime, but the 4th trip to me and a buddy went up and fished some rivers around moose lake and caught some small 6-8 inch trout and ever since then I have been addicted