Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
jkjkoda

Hand held drill auger attchment

11 posts in this topic

Has any one used these? How well do they work? Hom many holes can you really drill? 10 inches of ice?

I have the Ice Master Ice Auger/Power Drill Conversion Kit. I use it on a Black and Decker 18 volt cordless drill. Have attached a 6" Mora and a 5" Lazer.

It will eventually get through the ice, but I can crank through the ice by hand much faster.

I'm sure the brand/type/power of drill has much to do with the results. I'm going to lug it out again for late ice and next season's early ice just to see if it works any better.

The ice I first tried it on was at least 8" and the most recent time I tried it about 2 feet. Again the results weren't really impressive and it seemed like it was somewhat hard on the drill.

has any one used the nills hand auger to redrill holes in a fish house im thinking of getting one just for that

a buddy of mine uses one on his dewalt 18XRP he loves it. he says he get 4 holes with 16 inches of ice on 2 warm fully charged batteries. he said the hammer feature makes the battery go longer.

if it was me i would just use the handle on a 5-6 inch hand auger. especially if its only 10 inches of ice.

wow, that sounds like more work than just hand drilling the holes

I saw a guy with a plug in drill and a generator and he zipped through the ice

I have an 18volt DeWalt. With it I can get about 22 holes in 8" of ice PER battery. 2 fully charged batteries = about 40 holes.

Now that is with a 6" Mora bit and good blades. I think if you had a better drill like a 6" Lazer or (I hate to admit it) a nils, you will likely have better results.

I realy like mine. I think in early season when the ice is a bit thinner, and the fish are shallower and spookier, is when it realy shines.

I use a 19.2 Craftsman hammer drill on low with a 6" Nils auger. It has worked great! The most I have drilled this year is 20 hole in one day and still had battery left. This was in 16" of ice. I also have the Craftsman radio that works on the same battery so I just throw in 3 or 4 batterys for the day of fishing.

5" Lazer.

It will eventually get through the ice, but I can crank through the ice by hand much faster.

I tried the same 5" lazer auger on my Black and Decker 18 volt. It will cut, but I'd have to agree it leaves a lot to be desired. Seems hard to get it started straight too, lots of wobble. I thought it might be convenient for new early season thin ice, but I can cut it faster by hand.

I also have two gas augers so I really didn't need it but thought the lightweight part would be nice if it worked good.

Just my two cents.

I don't think drills are made to be augers and I think you will be buying a new drill much sooner than you would want to. Just my 2 cents worth. Smitty

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• I would like to get some recipes to inject a turkey breast, and appx. how long does it take to smoke it? And whats a good wood to use ?
    • Could be that others cheated also.   I was relying on memory about the BMW connection and hypothesized that Mercedes would also have been a possibility.   I did say "maybe mercedes".     In any case, VW cheated on emissions for many years with the assent of the highest levels of management.     Apparently making a small diesel that runs ok and doesn't make too much pollution at an acceptable cost is really hard.
    • License what technology, this kind?        https://www.google.com/amp/www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/04/27/after-vws-record-fine-mercedes-benz-parent-daimler-could-be-next.html     "In light of the ongoing governmental information requests, inquiries and investigations, and our own internal investigation, it cannot be ruled out that the authorities might reach the conclusion that Mercedes-Benz diesel vehicles have similar functionalities," Daimler said in its newly released quarterly report. The maker first acknowledged in January that authorities had begun probing its handling of diesel emissions. That was the same month that VW agreed to settle a criminal probe by the U.S. Justice Department, a federal judge this past week approving the payment of a $2.8 billion fine. Almost 40 times the legal limit In the VW case, the mainstream German automaker rigged the software controlling two diesel engines to recognize when a vehicle was undergoing emissions tests and then adjust pollution levels. In real-world situations, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency asserted, those powerplants would produce up to 40 times the legal limit for pollutants like smog-causing oxides of nitrogen. Since the scandal broke in September 2015, regulators in the U.S. and the European Union have begun rechecking the emissions claims made by other manufacturers, including Daimler, General Motors, Fiat Chrysler Automobiles and others. In January of this year, the EPA took aim at FCA, alleging that it may have used its own, rigged software on products like the Ram 1500 EcoDiesel which "appeared to cause the vehicles to perform differently when being tested" than when in use in real-world conditions. That same month, Daimler said that what the EPA was concerned about "apparently includ(ed) functionalities that are common in diesel vehicles, as undisclosed Auxiliary Emission Control Devices (AECD)." While the German parent of both the Mercedes-Benz and Smart brands did not confirm it had broken the law, it laid open the possibility that its own diesel emissions strategy could be in trouble. "If these or other inquiries, investigations, legal actions and/or proceedings result in unfavorable findings, an unfavorable outcome or otherwise develop unfavorably, Daimler could be subject to significant monetary penalties, remediation requirements, vehicle recalls, process improvements and mitigation measures," Daimler stated.
    •   Wow, Del I forgot all about that little discussion you started two years ago.  All the fun folks were in on it, even the LIMTOUT. That's what happens when you have short term memory loss and pictures bring on new thoughts and emotions.  Let's just call this threat the "What a dang waste and shame!" More of an aftermath threat?  K   And Del was there, and PFloyd, and Reb and Leech stop by and even the evil LIMTOUT was there! It was a nightmare!    
    • When we had are seasonal campsite I had lots of squirrels. I used all metal feeders. Come Sept them squirrels went in the freezer and cooked up for the wild game feed!
    • If you have been following the story, the reason VW got in this mess is they didn't want to license technology from BMW (or maybe Mercedes) and chose to develop their own.   When it couldn't be made to work properly, they chose to cheat rather than bite the bullet.    Long discussions of what happened as the story broke    
    • I had one of those.  Mine never quite ran right, although I lived with the quirks for years.  I have a pdf of service manual if you want it.   Mine ran rough intermittently at certain rpm.
    • If they make it better because of stupid government mandates it wouldn't bother me at all.   In fact, the Dodge ram diesel that I used to have had something from Daimler Benz that allowed it to meet the standards without DEF. I would not be surprised if they did something similar with those diesels and if they did I applaud them. The best thing anyone can do with the diesel trucks is delete the emissions and unlock the power and economy that are robbed from them.   
    • pellet gun does the job here  
    • I have to many squirrels, need the feeders with the metal holes.
  • Our Sponsors