Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Iambjm

Whopper caught on Chubby Darter

39 posts in this topic

Getting ready to go ice fishing today, needed to free a chubby darter caught in the fabric of ice bucket caddy. Grabbed the treble hooks with a needle nose pliers, pulled, snap chubby came loose and lodged in the nearest object. The "old grouch" almost fainted, so had to retrieve it by myself. Thankfully it didn't fly up and hit me in the face. Some ice, some pushing, some snipping, free at last. Man those hooks are sharp!!! sick

chubby.jpg

Ouch!

You're not the first to get snagged by a darter. Those hooks are very sharp.

Hope you're doing ok and were still able to get out.

Ouch.... crazy You shouldn't do that. See the previous threads about the ER. crazy

Oh that's right...you have a history of doing these things..

not good Barb - those hooks are for catching fish not fingers --- laugh

Just got back from the lake, missed three flags and lost a snotrocket right at the hole. Could not find any crappies sick When I did the chubby trick I also nicked the thumb with the hooks, dang thumb hurts worse the finger that I had to shove the hook through in order to nip it off.

Dang Barb, you gotta stop that. We need you to be in one piece at Piggy Perchin.

Hope

Ha same thing happened to me takin a rapala out of a northerns mouth so i drank my last 2 beers and grabbed the pliers. I was surprized it didnt hurt as much as i thought it would rippin it out! Hope you had your tetnis shots

Those are painful in deed. Have been there and done that. Glad you got it out and still went fishing, way to go!!

Just got back from the lake, missed three flags and lost a snotrocket right at the hole. Could not find any crappies sick When I did the chubby trick I also nicked the thumb with the hooks, dang thumb hurts worse the finger that I had to shove the hook through in order to nip it off.

Good to hear it didn't completely ruin your day of fishing.

BUT was it within the slot? catch and release? grinsmirk looks deep, had to hurt. ive been to the deer river hopital for that also. dang little brother.

I have had worse, northern rolled up my arm once while river fishing buried the hooks deep in the arm. A couple of guys in another boat saw me and realized my hubby was going to be no help and got them out for me. They were buried so deep they had to do a lot of pinching and squeezing to finally get the barbs through to snip them off. I wiped the blood off and went back to fishing. Even kept the rapala, never did put new hooks on it. Even though I didn't have any luck yesterday it was fantastic getting out on the ice. I even managed to buzz around on the lake with the wheeler. Fished in bibs and polar fleece shirt, didn't even put the jacket back on till I left the lake. Now today is going to be a different story, freezing rain on the way and tomorrow more snow. cry

That is why we left yesterday, Has is started to do its thing yet, or could I have waited until this AM to leave.

G.C.

We went to the cities on Saturday to visit Jim's dad who needs hip surgery and ended up meeting with his brothers out on Pelican Lake. It was packed!! I couldn't believe how many people were on there! I got skunked but had a ton of fun. (Jim's family is a hoot!)

gary, they closed the schools up here. It's started but is supposed to be even worse late this afternoon and into this evening. The bad thing is that I have to work the 2:15-10:45 shift this afternoon and I'm scared that I'm going to get stuck at work!! eekeekcry

That is why we left yesterday, Has is started to do its thing yet, or could I have waited until this AM to leave.

G.C.

Hasn't started yet. Oops just looked out the window, raining to beat the band.

Ya I knew it would be a chance to stay and face that with trailering sleds. Hopefully it will settle the snow even more. I sure would have like to stay 1 more day. The fish were biting OK.

Lady Lisa sounds like you had a good time, and you should even if the fish did not bite. Just nice to be out there. Good luck going to work. Drive safely.

G.C.

the only way as i see it you could stay another day would of bringin the boss with. crazysmirkwhistle raining hard ish! i am suppose to go to fargo and bismark n.d tues. ouch. yes lisa drive careful. i got an idea, bring a patient to the fishhouse. get stuck there.

I only live about 5 minutes from work. I'm concerned that the next person on the midnight shift won't be able to make and then they won't be able to call anyone in and then I'm pulling a 16!! eekeekcry

I don't know if you saw it in the GR forum, but I hit Lawrence lake Saturday for the tournament. Talk about a lot of people, must have been a couple hundred. The winning fish for the tournament was a 20 pound northern! The biggest fish for our club was a 22" nord. I never had a bite, but the apple pie sure hit the spot.

I only live about 5 minutes from work. I'm concerned that the next person on the midnight shift won't be able to make and then they won't be able to call anyone in and then I'm pulling a 16!! eekeekcry

I am sitting here at work waiting for a tech to come and work on one of our internet links and it is getting more icy out there by the minute, and the ride from Hibbing to Chisholm on HWY 169 sucks bad when it is slippery.