• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Planning a trip

So I have been doing a lot of research and am planning a trip to Alaska the summer of 2010. I have some question for you guys that have been up there. I am planning on driving and was wondering if I need to bring a boat. I have a 14' aluminum and was wondering if this would work?

I've made a few trips up, but never driven. A little more info...14 ft. deep V I assume? How big a motor? From your research so far, where do you plan on going in AK? What do you want to fish? Rivers, lakes? It's a big state with endless possibilities, as you're finding out! I can tell you this; I go to the Kenai peninsula, as it's easy to get to and has lots of variety. But it IS busy. Would I take a "MN" 14 footer? Maybe, but most of the fishing I've done there (and want to do) is in rivers, many of which they use jet drive motors on. The kenai is fine for outboards, but a tough egg to crack for a total rookie. I'd do it myself, but I've been on at least 20 Kenai charters over the years, and I still realize it would be a steep learning curve. LOTS of boats, tight quarters, lots of guys making thier living off a short season, so their paitence with rookies gets tested often. I know there are fisheries i up there that a 14 would likely work OK for, but i don't know about them specifically. It'll be interesting to see what others say.

I would leave the boat at home unless it is a deep V and you'll be there most of the summer. There are not too many lakes with public access simply because roads don't go there. As traveler said, the Kenai area is good but take his advice and don't try the Kenai River blindly. That said, if you want to hit some lakes for trout you would be fine as long as the weather is decent. Most lakes that have access are large and can get windswept pretty easily with the gusts and winds winding thru the mountains. I have been on salt water with boats that big with no problem depending on the wind. I have driven the Al-Can many times and you won't have a problem pulling the boat. If it were me I would bring it if it were saltwater worthy and if I were there for at least a month.