Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
crappieguy

Strike Master auger won't start

14 posts in this topic

I have a Strike Master that I have not used for two years that I forgot to drain the gas out of. I have replaced it with new gas but it will not start. I know there is nothing wrong with the motor since I had it tuned up since the last time I used right before I put it in storage. Any help would be appreciated. thanks Pete

Does the cord pull hard? If it does, there is a good chance that the carbs are gummed up. I had that happen to me this year, I brought it to strikemaster and they took care of the problem for me.

i would definately say it has carb issues but have you checked your spark plug? did you actually drain the old fuel out of the line that went into the carb?

Its gotta be the carb, they are not too complicated to clean if you are willing to do some research on the net. But if you ask me don't waste your time cleaning the jets, just buy new ones. They are cheap and then you can rule them out of the equation.

ThCold blood

Thanks for the reponse. How do I drain the fule from the line? I thought that moght be a problem

I pull the line off at the tank, get a pail and be ready for a little cleanup.

If you have drained the old gas and have new gas..plus new plug, then with out the plug in, pull the rope a half dozen times. re insert the plug and see if she'll fire up. add some sea foam to the gas and let it help clean up the gum.

you should just have a simple clamp on the fuel line going into the carb pull that down and pull the line if there is fuel in the carb it should drain to if it doesn't the jet could be plugged but i realize thats a lot to remember

Mine is very hard starting first of the year. How many times did you try? After that first start, its 1-2 pulls every time.

I guess that I would take it into strikemaster in Big Lake. They are very fair in the pricing and turn around. They have a get it started price and a tune up price. My buddy brought his in at 4 p.m. one day and got it back at 8 am the next day. They did some adjustments and got it running like a top. Under $20. They did not have to put a carb kit in. If anything....saves some frustration if your are not a small engine guy. (I am not one)

I would even flip the kill/on/off switch a few times. Mine developed corrosion inside the switch and wouldn't kick off right away. Could pull the plug (put wire back on) and see if there's spark, too.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• should trigger a check engine light....
    • OK, just from what I am reading and never having been to mechanic school.... Is it possible that when the car comes to a stop that the transmission doesn't, for reasons unknown, downshift to first but stays in a higher gear?  Then when starting out after a few seconds it does downshift to first with a jolt?  Being in too high a gear would account for the slow acceleration and the downshift would be the jolt.  Staying in too high a gear would make a shudder maybe. It did in my old stick shifts .
    • Do you know the name of the guy, CigarGuy?  I'm guessing the answer is "Yes", but I've had a couple of beers.
    • seeing I will not have a bonus tag the does are safe at Ripley but a buck will need to be wall hanger before I shoot 
    • You did not identify the model of your Garmin  sorta important when wiring. If your Garmin is a Striker, than the other two wires brown and blue are not used. Also note the date on the install instructions. The ones dated before March 2016 did not include the wiring information.   This site might have some answer. http://www.gpscity.com/questions?qid=56118
    • I am having a hard time figuring out what the symptom is myself. There is no "shift" from a dead stop. It either goes or it slips and then bangs into gear after 3 seconds.
    • My backordered Garmin just arrived and I have a question that is probably a Kindergarten level electrical question so please forgive my ignorance, as this is the first sonar/GPS combo I have had.  This one is replacing my old, but usually trusty, Eagle 480.  Anyway, the power cable has 4 wires coming out of it, red, black, brown and blue.  I know the red and black are for power connections, but what are the other 2 for?  If I do not have any other device with which to share info, do I just cover the ends with electrical tape and forget about them or do I need to do something else?  Don't want to wreck something before I get to use it.  Also, regarding power supply, do you think it will give good performance if I run it off a freshly charged 12 V 7 or 9ah battery or do I need to hook it up to my boat battery?  Usually, most trips are 6 hrs. or less.  I have a size 31 dual purpose for starting and troll. motor, but will I pick up too much interference for the locator from those 2 items?  As usual, any help, thoughts, etc. will be greatly appreciated.
    • Sorry about the double lines.  I fixed it in the edit and added a picture.  I'm not sure how that happened.  (how that happened...)
    • Check out http://fishingminnesota.com/forums/
    • Thrown into jail or executed. Sorry not everyone follows the drum beat like you do explicitly without question.   Oh, like the same one you've might have had for the last 20 years? Please.  This isn't 1950 patriotism and honor any more. It's an anthem being blasted in a corporate named stadium where the smallest advertisement in the joint is the American flag. Love it or hate it, result or not, he has achieved his objected.
  • Our Sponsors