Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Grebe

Question...how does this work?

16 posts in this topic

I was just thinking about something....The big ice chunk that busted off Lake erie at Oak Harbor and stranded all those fishermen....what happens to their gear? I suppose small gear could be retrieved with a boat, motor out, hop on the ice and get your stuff.

But what if there was a vehicle out there, or atv's, would they be responsible getting them off the floe? Other then an air lift, how would they do it? Wait and see if it butted up with solid shore ice somewhere, build a quick bridge and drive em off?

If the floe busted up way out in the lake and a persons vehicle went down, would they still have to retrieve it like they do on any other lake?

I don't know right off hand how deep Erie is, but I suppose it has some pretty deep areas, how would that work?

good thought. my first thought would be that I'm the only thing that can't be replaced out there, the rest can easily be replaced, get my rear end off of there as soon as possible.

but you're right, what about the wheelers and equipment that's out there? I'm sure they're watching it to see what happens, and I'm sure they'll be able to retrieve most of it. they were planking out there, so I don't know how many wheelers are out there. did anyone see the interview with the Sheriff, he said "there's no law against stupidity, otherwise all those fishermen would be in jail". he seemed like a pretty big [PoorWordUsage]!!

As far as a wheeler or a vehicle being out there I don't think it would have been possible since they had to jump over a 3 foot crack that was already there when they went out.

The pics on the news had wheelers on it so they got them out there somehow.

good thought. my first thought would be that I'm the only thing that can't be replaced out there, the rest can easily be replaced, get my rear end off of there as soon as possible.

but you're right, what about the wheelers and equipment that's out there? I'm sure they're watching it to see what happens, and I'm sure they'll be able to retrieve most of it. they were planking out there, so I don't know how many wheelers are out there. did anyone see the interview with the Sheriff, he said "there's no law against stupidity, otherwise all those fishermen would be in jail". he seemed like a pretty big [PoorWordUsage]!!

From what I understand, they had to build some type of bridge to cross some open water to get on this ice floe. I guess I have to agree with this sheriff. There were helicopters, boats vehicles and about 70 people that risked their lives to help a bunch of people that should not have been where they were. This has been going on for years and gets to be a very expensive operation when these fisherman are rescued. I'll bet that these people would quit doing this if they received a bill for the cost of their rescue. Maybe there needs to be a policy that says "The first time is free, after that you pay.". I have never been in a situation like that and in my opinion it is because I have used my brain and chose to be safe.

From what I understand this was a big chunk of ice that broke off so you could liken this to crossing an ice bridge on Mile Lacs the only difference being there is that much more water for the flow to move around in. Not mitigating the circumstance of the rescue and all but perhaps the fisherman did not know what they were getting into or onto just a thought. As far as getting equipment off perhaps a barge or helicopter

They had to cross a 1ft crack. Who would have thought that crack went all the way from one end to the other. They could have easily drove machines over the piece of plywood that bridged the crack. This was a huge piece. Somewhere I heard 8 miles across. After all was said and done the chunk ended up 1000 yds out. Maybe the wind will shift and it will come back towards shore.

Thats what emergency personnel are for. They were all on the clock, IMO there must have been a Coffee break interupted or something. I understand it was a stressful morning for most of them, but lets have a little professionalism (regarding the sherrifs comments)and take into consideration that one of the fisherman did die. I am sure that if this was known to happen no one would have been there.

I would guess that the wind would blow it in or out more until it hit somthing and then they would have to set up some tupe of mission to get there wheelers back.

Sifty

That sheriff really seemed like the wrong spokesperson. As far as I am concerned that is there job and to be that ticked off for having to work... well all I can say is quit your whining.

As for retrieving the equipment I'm sure they will use a barge with a crane or something like that.

I agree that the sheriff's comments were not appropriate. The article I read did say that some people got off the ice on wheelers through a spot that had not separated off yet. One person interviewed said he was hoping the wind blew the ice back so he could retrieve his belongings. People in the great lakes area should know the risk they are taking by being out in strong winds. It doesn't take much to form a current on that big water and when it forms weak spots in ice can separate like it did and float away. It has happened in the past so I would think most people would have more common sense. They are just some fish, not worth risking your life over. On a side note, I watched a show where some guys went out on Superior to fish trout. They brought all of their stuff out in a canoe or small boat in case the ice separated.

I am originally from Northwest Lower Michigan. It hasn't seemed to be an issue nearly as much as it use to, however for many years ice fishermen were stranded on ice flows in the Saginaw bay 2 to 3 times a year. Saginaw Bay is part of Lake Huron and is the large bay between the thumb and the mainland. The Coast Guard out of Tawas always plucked people off of the ice with helicopters free of charge. If memory serves, the coast gaurd started charging for this service about 8 years ago and it only included you and your clothing. All equipment was left on the ice.

After the ice melts, you are responsible for removing ATV's, snowmobiles, and or vehicles from the bottom of the lake. You can imagine this is a hefty cost. I don't know if this is fact, but I am pretty sure there is also a fine from the Michigan EPA too.

They got all of their equipment off yesterday. Got out there with fan boats not exactly sure how they got the stuff off.