• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Tiger

The Grebe

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote=Iron Cowboy

I also think one of the big reasons he's so popular is that golf has a stigma and rightly so, of the snooty, pompous, country club rich. ie: Phil, davis love the III etc. Tiger doesnt come off like he thinks he's better than you in life, I think he was raised right with hard working parents.

What are you kidding me! Phil and DLIII are way better with the fans than Tiger. They may have had a country club upbringing but at least they talk to the fans and sign autographs. You almost never see Tiger doing this. Phil is one of the most popular players because he's so accessible. Tiger is also the only player I've heard curse out a photographer. If you are gonna call somebody out for being pompous and snooty at least get your facts straight. That was one of the most uninformed comments I've ever seen. At least as far as who you singled out.

I dont know man, ask around about Phil and see what everyone thinks about him. as far as Love I really dont know but figuire you start out golfing with M Jordan and all I bet he's never worked a job a day in his life. I guess I might be unimformed but just saying what this average joe hack thinks. for the most part I am talking about the average club pros locally and maybe its just because they look more like those guys.

I went off a little there. Sorry about that.

I'm not all that sure about Love but I've seen and read many interviews where people rave about how nice Phil is. There are a lot of guys on tour that have bad reputations when it comes to dealing with fans and I can see where it kind of rubs off on to other players.

Club pros and some of the employees at nicer clubs do come off as snobs and arrogant jerk-baits. Probably trying to overcompensate for their shortcomings. wink

I don't blame the guys who don't sign autographs for the fans...they're there to play golf, not for a public appearance. I attended one of the practice rounds at Hazeltine a few years ago, and you were informed by the volunteers and course workers who would and wouldn't be signing autographs (meaning don't even try for those that won't). For those that do...you were also told when they would...ie..some only after their round, some only after the turn, some after each hole. Justin Leonard for example, would sign several after every hole. Tiger -- none. Why? Too much of a distraction. I followed him around those 18 holes, watching how many balls he hits off each tee, different approach shots, half a dozen putts on the same green, while good ol Stevie is taking notes on it all. He's in full concentration mode all week. If players make it to Sunday, much of it has to do with how well they learned the course early in the week. More power to them for not wanting to be distracted while they're working. Can you blame them?

Quote:
Club pros and some of the employees at nicer clubs do come off as snobs and arrogant jerk-baits. Probably trying to overcompensate for their shortcomings.

You are painting with a pretty wide brush there...... crazy

My bro-in-law is a A1 pro at a local country club and you would be hard pressed to find anyone that has something bad to say about him.

I think someone had a bad experience and wants to clump everyone together. whistle

You can find really nice club pros, and professional golfers. On the other hand you can find some real a$$#%@!k golfers that shoot well over 100 on any given day. I have seen pro sports players out and about with their families, they know when you recognize them, and appreciate when you leave them alone when they are with their families. Point being everyone is different golfers or otherwise, so just are your parents used to tell you. You can't judge a book by it's cover.

Tigers was invited to speak at the inauguration and instead of talking about Obama and the new administration he said this.

"I grew up in a military family - and my role models in life were my Mom and Dad, Lt. Colonel Earl Woods. My dad was a Special Forces operator and many nights friends would visit our home. They represented every branch of the service, and every rank.

"In my Dad, and in those guests, I saw first hand the dedication and commitment of those who serve. They come from every walk of life. From every part of our country. Time and again, across generations, they have defended our safety in the dark of night and far from home.

"Each day -- and particularly on this historic day -- we honor the men and women in uniform who serve our country and protect our freedom. They travel to the dangerous corners of the world, and we must remember that for every person who is in uniform, there are families who wait for them to come home safely.

"I am honored that the military is such an important part, not just of my personal life, but of my professional one as well. The golf tournament we do each year here in Washington is a testament to those unsung heroes.

"I am the son of a man who dedicated his life to his country, family and the military, and I am a better person for it.

"In the summer of 1864, Abraham Lincoln, the man at whose memorial we stand, spoke to the 164th Ohio Regiment and said: 'I am greatly obliged to you, and to all who have come forward at the call of their country.'

"Just as they have stood tall for our country - we must always stand by and support the men and women in uniform and their families.

"Thank you, and it is now my pleasure to introduce the US Naval Glee Club."

Stand up guy if you ask me.

fishinphil, Exactly what I was trying to say. Even though tiger had obvious talent as a kid he was never raised "soft" in a country club type setting where he thought because daddy had money he was better than the average joe. I could give a [PoorWordUsage] if he doesnt sign autographs walking around like a movie star when he's working, I wouldnt either. Every pro athlete that talks about him says they cant believe how hard he works each and every day he's able to hitting thousands of balls and lifting wieghts. wonder when the last time ol flabby phil lifted? for a while he looked like he was hanging around ol lumpy too much.. or maybe Daly, we all know he lifts a lot..bend the elbow wink I remember when tiger first broke out on the scene and the country clubbers would look at the younger guys that werent up to thier standards and would cuss its that damm "tiger effect" its ruining things..he fly's in the face of all that blue blooded [PoorWordUsage] and am proud to say he's the big reason this "working mans" kids wanted to get into golf.

I dont know man, ask around about Phil and see what everyone thinks about him. as far as Love I really dont know but figuire you start out golfing with M Jordan and all I bet he's never worked a job a day in his life. I guess I might be unimformed but just saying what this average joe hack thinks. for the most part I am talking about the average club pros locally and maybe its just because they look more like those guys.

I've also heard the same rumbling about Phil, nice guy when the cameras are on but he can turn into an azz real fast. Its also well know most of his fellow players can't stand him so that is a telling sign too. If you want to learn more just do a search in Google for "phil mickelson figjam".

I was kind of bored with the last round. Everybody wilted and he won, big surprise. Can't anybody step up? If the guy had just shot even par he would have been fine.