• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

To bury or Not to bury

Greycat

I have had a couple of discussions lately about field dressing your harvested deer and what is best done about the organs and entrails. We have had an exploding coyote population and more attacks on the local deer by coyote packs and aggressive singles.

One surprising opinion that I can’t get out of my head is the guy that prescribes that any hunter that doesn’t bury the remains is lazy and doesn’t care about increased coyote attacks on deer or the exploding coyote population.

I am not sure it is always practical and even if buried, I am sure coyotes would sniff it out and dig them up anyway. In addition I don’t know that there is any evidence the gorging on deer remains entices more deer attacks than would normally occur.

So are we lazy and uncaring and does any of this have merit?

My take on the subject is that gut piles have been feeding animals for hundreds of years. so what! Any healthy deer can escape yotes anyday, so no I'm not going to rent a backhoe to rip up the frozen tundra that is northern Minn in deer season just so I can bury the guts.

It's ridiculous to bury a gut pile. The larger animals that may feed off it will just dig it up, and you may keep the smaller ones from getting an easy meal. What about all the birds that feed on it?

It's all about the cycle of life. Food chain. Don't deny any of the woodland critters access to this natural food source.

Bury it so other people don't have to see it? I certainly wouldn't leave a gut pile in the neighbors yard but anywhere else and it will be gone in few days, as nature intended.

Burying them is a waste of time. I gutted a buck in the Black Hills once, and unloaded my rifle and opened a beer. Four feet away from me, two Gray Jays were already picking the fat chunks off the pile. As for the coyotes, they make great targets for the rest of the hunt. I've seen gut piles disappear overnight in Pine County.