Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Greycat

To bury or Not to bury

17 posts in this topic

I have had a couple of discussions lately about field dressing your harvested deer and what is best done about the organs and entrails. We have had an exploding coyote population and more attacks on the local deer by coyote packs and aggressive singles.

One surprising opinion that I can’t get out of my head is the guy that prescribes that any hunter that doesn’t bury the remains is lazy and doesn’t care about increased coyote attacks on deer or the exploding coyote population.

I am not sure it is always practical and even if buried, I am sure coyotes would sniff it out and dig them up anyway. In addition I don’t know that there is any evidence the gorging on deer remains entices more deer attacks than would normally occur.

So are we lazy and uncaring and does any of this have merit?

No merit IMO. A coyote has an icnredible sense of smell and if one caught wind of entrails buried or not, they'll dig them back up.

Saying someone is lazy for not burying the entrails is just plain naive.

My take on the subject is that gut piles have been feeding animals for hundreds of years. so what! Any healthy deer can escape yotes anyday, so no I'm not going to rent a backhoe to rip up the frozen tundra that is northern Minn in deer season just so I can bury the guts.

It's ridiculous to bury a gut pile. The larger animals that may feed off it will just dig it up, and you may keep the smaller ones from getting an easy meal. What about all the birds that feed on it?

It's all about the cycle of life. Food chain. Don't deny any of the woodland critters access to this natural food source.

Bury it so other people don't have to see it? I certainly wouldn't leave a gut pile in the neighbors yard but anywhere else and it will be gone in few days, as nature intended.

NOT!!!! How does this even come up???

Some of the most entertaining moments of deer hunting occur a day or two after you taged one and you are sitting in the same stand watching the birds and other critters eating away at the gut pile.

Don't bury it, the gut pile from my buck I shot this year was gone within 2 days.

Burying them is a waste of time. I gutted a buck in the Black Hills once, and unloaded my rifle and opened a beer. Four feet away from me, two Gray Jays were already picking the fat chunks off the pile. As for the coyotes, they make great targets for the rest of the hunt. I've seen gut piles disappear overnight in Pine County.

Icehouse, You didn't have a hunting buddy that was the 'butt' of a cruel joke involving a little too much brew, that gut pile and a forked stick, did you?? grin Phred52

Why!!! Bury them unless you dig a hole to china!! The coyotes or fox will just dig them up!!!

I've actually set up trail cameras over gut piles, very interesting!!! Coyotes, foxes, cats, crows, hawks, they keep coming until its all gone!!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Had an 09'. Got rid of it. Also,  you could not keep the front end aligned.  Otherwise a very nice truck.
    • Helps when I comprehend what I read.  I actually just cut the handle off my tongue jack on my Yetti and welded on 3/4 nut too.  My M18 drill with 1,200 in-lbs (2704-20) and it has no problem raising or lowering the tongue.  Biggest thing I noticed was making sure my drill was on the #1 low speed setting.      As far as torque goes and harming your auger.  I think you are totally fine and shouldn't harm anything.  The max amount that these K-Drills and Clam plates are drilling these days with the big drills are 8".  Most sized augers these days have no problem turning a 10" auger which is nearly twice as large of an area than an 8" auger.  Being 2 strokes can normally operate in any orientation without being damaged the only concern I would have would be your gears and any shifting of grease inside operating the auger head on its side under load.    They say Ions will do 10" holes but after I talked to their customer service reps about it, I wouldn't trust an Ion with a 10" more than I do a wet fart.  Just the fact that they don't even sell a 10" package indicates there could possibly be issues with torque and reliability when operating the 10" auger "accessory".  For now I'd just stick to your strike master going up and save your Ion any extra wear and tear.  Maybe even ask Santa for some electric jacks this Christmas
    • As the media begins to draw a pretty picture about the November jobs report, namely that unemployment has dropped to 4.6 percent, its lowest level in nine years, they are unlikely to tell you the other part of the story. The labor force participation rate continues to decline and is stuck at a rate we haven't seen since February 1978, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.  It gets worse. Last month, we lost 4,000 manufacturing jobs, offering more damage to the already 301,000 we've lost since President Obama took office. - Town Hall   See for yourself.. U.S. Dept of Labor / BLS Date Viewer   Whaaa ???   OH, MY....  
    • I wouldn't do that for each one. I was wondering if you couldn't cut a winch down, or maybe just leave it as is, so you could attach a drill to the low speed post and tack weld/rig a socket or something for the other side and just hold it in your hand. It probably won't work because it sounds too easy. 
    • My, such big words!! Yer a talented liddle Smurf, aintcha? We might as well get to work doin' what we were accused of, munchkin!!! Like Carly Simon said, "no one does it better"....  
    • i,ve been falsey accused of inproprieties!!!!!!!!!!!
    • Ken W, I have that book too. Before the internet it was really tough to find info. about sausage making. I never had luck getting a tangy flavor using Fermento. The sausage was very good though.
    • Jacks work very smooth, fresh grease and by hand feels fine for the amount of weight.  I think for the winter we'll just use the gas auger up and the hand drill down.  I don't want to sink another penny into these darn jacks if I can help it, should be swapping out by next year.  I may look into the gear reduction but I feel like trying to throw one of them on each of the jacks could add another 100 that could go toward electric.  leech if you ever stumble on that video post the link so I can see what hes doing different.  Works great on the tongue when it can pivot on the wheels but when lifting the full weight of the house at the back two jack points it just doesnt cut it.
  • Our Sponsors