Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rippinlips10

Opener in the metro

6 posts in this topic

rippin,

Welcome to FM.

I think it's been quite a while since I fished a metro lake on opener. However, where I fish on bass opener a similar mentality would apply. I fish shallow. How one goes about it usually is dictated by the water temperature and how well the spawn has progressed. I like an inside weedline with a fluke style bait or tube. If the water temperature is starting to get closer to 70, I'll throw bigger baits and fish them real slow.

More often than not I choose a river over a lake. Mostly because it's convenient to where I am. Throwing those same baits up against wood is a pretty darn good option that time of year.

Finally, I always bring panfish gear. I'll take a pod of good sized panfish over bass early in the year. I've got all summer to fish bass, so I really like seeing a bobber disappear.

I fish minnetonka on the opener most years, and love it because there are fish doing different things all over the lake. Some of them may be up shallow while others are still on their journey to the shallows. I target a lot of them on inside weedlines with crankbaits and lipless cranks. I also use a lot of spinnerbaits and texas rogged plastics. I guess its one of those times of year where you can pretty much pick any lure you have and find a spot to fish it.

yeah im on tonka 4 days a week in the summer ha thats my lake and what i was thinking is throwing a fluke in the inside weedlines and pulling it over the shallow weeds

Tubes, Senkos, jigs, crankbaits, spinnerbaits, buzzbaits and top water frogs. Anything that I can fish shallow and stays mostly weedless.