• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

2 Hoary Redpolls.

JayinMN

I think I spend way too much time in the bog because I have noticed I am starting to pick up on certain field marks that separate one bird from one other of the same species. Now the funny thing is when I start talking about the birds as individuals and point out their characteristics people look at me like I am nuts...lol I don't think they believe I can really tell them apart. If you pay close attention though you will notice things about certain birds that make them easy to identify. Here are two of the three Hoary Redpolls that frequent the S. Admiral Station. These two are pretty easy to tell apart. The grey spot on the rump of the second bird is a dead give away and an easy field marking to find. Once you can tell certain birds apart you will start noticing different behavioral traits about each bird too.

hoary2.jpg

hoary.jpg

Nice images, Jay. It always makes me smile to think about the amount of plumage variation in individuals of the same species. Sometimes it's subtle, sometimes not, but it's usually there. I've gotten pretty bored with life listing over the last several years, and studying the individuals is one of the coolest things about birding for me. I do it in my back yard, mostly, but you have the Bog for your back yard. smilesmile

Neat! Good observation skills! My son was learning birds in the field at school--either St. John's or Evergreen State in WA. The professor discouraged them from life listing. He required a 'Doo-doo List.' (Well that wasn't quite the word, but I saw in the preview that I had used "poor word usage." Oops! Didn't thing the 'P' word was that bad.) Only when you have actually observed a bird's behavior and characteristics long enough to see him doodoo, do you really have a feel for that bird. That being said, your photos are really nice. I think it is hard with red polls to get an eye that draws you in to the photo. The eyes are so dark and so tiny, that the eye looks very flat or recessed. These guys both have a nice orb to the eye.

They sure are some nice photos. After losing count somewhere over 50 on the common redpolls today in the yard, I honestly don't know how you guys manage to get them to sit still long enough to get the photographs you do. Seems like they are constantly on the move. You must have the patience of Job. My hats off to ya! grin

I'm glad to see you finally got the shots. The second one is sweet, but you need to clone out the corn and sunflower seeds in the first shot. grin

Dang, That is a lot of cloning to try and do. Mike you trying to kill the guy? LOL wink