• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Rigging For Night Fishing

gunflint

Question

With my current work schedule and civilian pressure on weekends in the local lakes I'm seriously considering doing a lot of night fishing this season.

I do have a few questions from the experts. Is it legal to mount a work light on the gunnel close to the stern. This would be for landing fish not for shinning. What kind of lighting systems work best for working in the boat and not attracting too many bugs? What type of spot light do you guys use? I tried a hand held a few years ago in a tiller. It light up the inside of the boat real well but I couldn't really see where I was going. Thanks.

3 answers to this question

gunflint, go to a big sporting goods store . I went to cabelas and found the answer.Go to the hunting dept. and get a good headlamp

(3 LEDs) they are da bomb.Perfect for for all your needs. I can't remember what I paid 35.00 or somewhere around there. Tell your fishin buddy to get one too. Best investment you'll make for night fishing. Good luck and hold on! The big boys eat the little boys at night.

I have a buddy that got a couple of high power lights from a truck stop that are water tight. He cut two holes in the side of his boat and put them on a switch. Only turns them on when he's landing a fish. Maybe River Dan will chime in here, he knows what I'm talking about. Headlamps are a must to have as well.

As for the bugs, get a thermocell to keep the bugs away from you at night.

I have a Go Light mounted on the front of the boat for travel. Then I also have another to light up the whole boat if needed. Another 2-12 volt spot lights for back up. I also use a headlamp.

I'm also going to put some 12 volt string lights along the gunnel on both sides to light up the floor. Maybe red if I can find them to help keep an increase of bug traffic in the boat.

Yes, the Thermo-Cell is great for keeping the bugs out of the boat and driving one crazy. No bug spray needed.

One can not have to many lights in the boat for night fishing the river.