Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
O2Fish

Oh no! Whats wrong with my Nils?

12 posts in this topic

I have only had my Nils out a couple of times since the big purchase and have loved it so far. Until today. When trying to drill, it doesn't seem to want to grab the ice. The center point shoots through just fine but quite frequently the blades would just spin, not grab, and shave the ice instead of dig like it usually does. If you rotate it around and hold it at more of an angle it will start to cut again. Are the blades dull or is the pitch on the blade messed up? The blades feel super sharp(ask my finger) and they cut fine when they catch the ice.

I need some help asap! I really don't want to spend $70 on another cutting head. My $500 is enough for this year!

O2Fish, The blade can be razor shape but have a small burr and it won't cut. If you drilled with any sand on the ice or banged a blade that is enough to goof the blade. The link in my signature will direct you to info for getting that blade cutting again.

Yup you dulled up in the inner portion of your blades some how. Having to wobble the unit to get the blade to cut is a sure sign. Send it to ST and he will get ya going asap. I hope you took my advice and got a extra blade just for this reason.

Why ask why wink

I'm on 2 full years of running and gunning and haven't had any issues. When I do, then I send it up to Frank for a $20 bill and I'm good to go for another few years.

I agree Dtro. One blemish on a cutting head does not make it a bad auger.

I used one cutting tip for almost two seasons and thats with many, many holes drilled including many on the sandy ice on URL.

So it must not have been 100% from the factory huh? I have treated it like my baby and haven't drilled into any noticeable sand or debris. Doesn't make me real happy!

It's understandable being upset about your auger not drilling a hole. These things do happen though. You might have hit something and not noticed maybe, hard to say.

You can go down the road of being upset as far as you want, but in the mean time I would get the blade up to Surface Tension so you have a working auger asap. I think he dropped his price down to $15 and he'll make sure it's working by doing a test drill.

Every auger I have ever used gets dull/damaged blades. Its not a Nils, strikemaster, Jiffy, eskimo, Huskavarna deal its a auger use deal.

I have had blades go bad a month after I got them because I must have hit something and I have had blades last a season. (I cut a ton of holes and fish almost daily) On my Nils, eskimo, strikemaster and Jiffy. Chipper blades will still cut after some damage. A shaver blade will really suffer with the slightest damage.

I'm on my 4th season with my Stx blades, and i cut quite a few holes each year, i's say average to above average use, around home and LOTW. I can tell now that i'll be gettin a new set for next season. $ seasons is plenty good in my book for blade life.

i am not a big fan of nils but come on people one bad blade dose not make a bad auger..... this year i had a bad set of blades right out of the box for my strikemaster ......

Was the blade iced up? That's the most common issue on any auger.

I always have a spare cutting head on hand. You never know when you will get into a patch of sand from a vehicle dropping snow, melting and freezing back over without knowing you hit the sand.

I've been lucky and no problems for 3 years now and I use mine a LOT. I haven't had to use my spare. Knock on wood.

When I do use it I will send the dull one into Frank to be sharpened and it will be my new spare cutting head.

It's an easy fix.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

•   You will get plenty of recipes for a brine or injection, or even an injectable brine which work good for turkey breasts.  A common injection are the store bought ones you see in sporting goods stores in the cooking section. All kinds of flavors from Cajun, to Honey Butter, Garlic & Herbs, etc. Some even come with a free syringe.  Some simple injections you can make are apple juice (plain or jazzed up), beer with seasonings, a doctored up chicken broth and one of my favorites a Lite Apple Brine.  Since it's injected I like lower salt than you would use for an immersion brine.  My Lite Apple Brine's ratio is 1 gram of canning salt mixed into 1 ounce of apple juice.  If you buy an 8oz bottle of apple juice, just add 8 grams of canning salt, shake it and you are ready to inject.     Years ago I asked Old Dave, an online friend, for help on an injection for a pastramied turkey breast recipe I was developing.  He sent me a modified version of Shakes Injectable Brine, which is fancier than my Lite Apple Brine.... and guess what, I really like it too.  Here is the recipe... and if you want to read more, I'll have the link to my write-up below.  BTW, I was skeptical of the cloves, but I tried the first one following the recipe and it's good.  My only variation is I'll use agave nectar instead of the honey sometimes.    Old Dave's Poultry Injectable Brine, based off of "Shakes" Injectable Brine. 
      32oz clean water (non-chlorinated and not softened)
      1/4 cup pickling salt
      2 teaspoons of TenderQuick
      1/3 cup clover honey
      3-4 bay leaves
      1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
      1/2 teaspoon pickle spice

Heat it up in a sauce pan but do not boil. For a 12-15 pound turkey, inject 2 oz in each leg, 2 oz in each thigh, and 4 oz in each side of the breast. 16 oz total per turkey. I like to do the injection at least 8-10 hours before the fire.   My Pastramied Turkey Breast write-up can be found HERE   EDIT, you smoke them until the internal is 165° to 170°.  An injection will help keep them moist even at the 170° temp.  I like a mix of cherry and hickory, but keep the amount gentle.  Apple would be a safe bet for your first one and you can always use a stronger wood next time.  
    • First off, the comment I made which you replied to with a hypothesis never stated that there was proof they did anything wrong. I merely and accurately stated that there was a chance they did some of the same things and it appears that may be the case.   You said plainly that VW could have chosen the Daimler tech but chose not to. In the end doing so may very well have found them in the same boat.    
    • Haula is probably going to see a lot of playing time so I don't doubt he will have some nice years, kind of like how Brodziak scored 20 playing as our first line center. I like Schroeder as first call up or emergency player but he just can't consistently bring it in the NHL, that is no crime because when he gets hot he is fun to watch but he just can't stay there. 
    • That's some good info, Thanks.
    •   I think they're shut down, too.  Smells like no money and more welfare...    
    •   Not sure if their still producing cardboard up at that plant anymore?
    • Now Haula and Tuch will have career seasons next year.  Haula is the odds on favorite to win the Ross trophy and Tuch should have a couple Norris' in the next 5 years.     Sounds like Wild might not bring Schroeder back either.  I really hope they are contenders for a strong center or a really nice goal scorer.  
    • Good point about the center support.  I wandered out to my ground blind on one of the last days of archery season to find the roof caved in and two poles busted. 
    • MMmmm Cloquet....   Smells like money.
    • I am a little concerned with it fading but it needs to be left up for the deer to get accustomed to it so no way around that.   I assume the sun is the main culprit in fading so I'll do my best to protect against that.  One spot I'm considering is tucked into some pines which create a lot of shade, brushing it in heavily should also help keep it out of direct sun as well.   Good point about a center support to help with the snow.  I'll make sure to add something.
  • Our Sponsors