• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Oh no! Whats wrong with my Nils?

O2Fish

Question

I have only had my Nils out a couple of times since the big purchase and have loved it so far. Until today. When trying to drill, it doesn't seem to want to grab the ice. The center point shoots through just fine but quite frequently the blades would just spin, not grab, and shave the ice instead of dig like it usually does. If you rotate it around and hold it at more of an angle it will start to cut again. Are the blades dull or is the pitch on the blade messed up? The blades feel super sharp(ask my finger) and they cut fine when they catch the ice.

I need some help asap! I really don't want to spend $70 on another cutting head. My $500 is enough for this year!

11 answers to this question

Yup you dulled up in the inner portion of your blades some how. Having to wobble the unit to get the blade to cut is a sure sign. Send it to ST and he will get ya going asap. I hope you took my advice and got a extra blade just for this reason.

It's understandable being upset about your auger not drilling a hole. These things do happen though. You might have hit something and not noticed maybe, hard to say.

You can go down the road of being upset as far as you want, but in the mean time I would get the blade up to Surface Tension so you have a working auger asap. I think he dropped his price down to $15 and he'll make sure it's working by doing a test drill.

Every auger I have ever used gets dull/damaged blades. Its not a Nils, strikemaster, Jiffy, eskimo, Huskavarna deal its a auger use deal.

I have had blades go bad a month after I got them because I must have hit something and I have had blades last a season. (I cut a ton of holes and fish almost daily) On my Nils, eskimo, strikemaster and Jiffy. Chipper blades will still cut after some damage. A shaver blade will really suffer with the slightest damage.

I'm on my 4th season with my Stx blades, and i cut quite a few holes each year, i's say average to above average use, around home and LOTW. I can tell now that i'll be gettin a new set for next season. $ seasons is plenty good in my book for blade life.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Was the blade iced up? That's the most common issue on any auger.

I always have a spare cutting head on hand. You never know when you will get into a patch of sand from a vehicle dropping snow, melting and freezing back over without knowing you hit the sand.

I've been lucky and no problems for 3 years now and I use mine a LOT. I haven't had to use my spare. Knock on wood.

When I do use it I will send the dull one into Frank to be sharpened and it will be my new spare cutting head.

It's an easy fix.