• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Red Crossbill

Borealhunter

Nice shot Mike, today at the Admiral feeder a female WW cross bill came in with a small flock of pine grosbeaks. I had no luck finding a GGO tonight but I did meet Carl R. Sams and Jean Stoick on Thursday and tonight again. They are a great couple, very friendly and interesting to talk with. I hope some GGO show up soon.

Great find Mike!....I have yet to see a crossbill this winter!..........a ton of grosbeaks were at the Owl Avenue main feeder along with about 2 dozen siskens (first for me this year) and dozens of redpolls and a hoary mixed in the lot...also had 3 boreal chickadees at the Arkola station this morning along with the redpolls(and a hoary), pine grosbeaks and gray jays...I met a couple that drove all the way from southwestern Iowa to see(and photo) the boreal chickadees at the stations...glad he got his wish!....no owls of either species for me today....but was just nice to see the huge gatherings of birds!....

Jay & John:

A Great Gray Owl was seen in Sax Zim Bog tonight ( Sunday ) on the Stickney Rd about 2 miles north of CR 52 on the east west dike diversion. It was hanging in the area for nearly an hour before it flew into the woods. Yes Carl Sams was able to video the owl from 5:15pm to 5:30pm. We are heading to the bog on 2/9 with hopes of seeing owls before the ice storm. I heard from a birder in Melrude that a Great Gray was seen early this morning on the McDavitt Rd.

John: I saw a Long-tailed Weasel on the owl Ave feeder south of Overton Rd on Friday 2/6. It has a tunnel under the carcass to the woods behind the feeders. I also saw tonight a beautiful Hoary Redpoll coming to this feeder too.

Everyone I have talked to really appreciated all these feeders you set up John and Jason! So many people from all over the US are getting lifers at these feeders.

Mike

Good find on the owl. Its been three weeks since I have seen more then a fly by of one.

There is a weasel that comes to the Arkola Station too. That is where I got the weasel picture for my avatar. They are always fun to watch and so cute you almost want to take them home...lol

I actually got a lifer on Thursday. I watched two brown creepers off of the woodpecker trails on McDavitt Rd. It was a brief sighting with no pictures. The creepers have managed to avoid me for years so I was a bit surprised to see them show up out of the blue. You never know whats going to make an appearance down there.