Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

• Announcements

• Rick

Members Only Fluid Forum View   08/08/2017

Fluid forum view allows members only to get right to the meat of this community; the topics. You can toggle between your preferred forum view just below to the left on the main forum entrance. You will see three icons. Try them out and see what you prefer.   Fluid view allows you, if you are a signed up member, to see the newest topic posts in either all forums (select none or all) or in just your favorite forums (select the ones you want to see when you come to Fishing Minnesota). It keeps and in real time with respect to Topic posts and lets YOU SELECT YOUR FAVORITE FORUMS. It can make things fun and easy. This is especially true for less experienced visitors raised on social media. If you, as a members want more specific topics, you can even select a single forum to view. Let us take a look at fluid view in action. We will then break it down and explain how it works in more detail.   The video shows the topic list and the forum filter box. As you can see, it is easy to change the topic list by changing the selected forums. This view replaces the traditional list of categories and forums.   Of course, members only can change the view to better suit your way of browsing.   You will notice a “grid” option. We have moved the grid forum theme setting into the main forum settings. This makes it an option for members only to choose. This screenshot also shows the removal of the forum breadcrumb in fluid view mode. Fluid view remembers your last forum selection so you don’t lose your place when you go back to the listing. The benefit of this feature is easy to see. It removes a potential barrier of entry for members only. It puts the spotlight on topics themselves, and not the hierarchical forum structure. You as a member will enjoy viewing many forums at once and switching between them without leaving the page. We hope that fluid view, the new functionality is an asset that you enjoy .
Sign in to follow this  
Borealhunter

Red Crossbill

Birding up in Lake County along Hwy 1 and there are several Red Crossbills that grit on the road. I also saw 11 Spruce Grouse on Lake Co Rd 2 (8) and Hwy 1 (3) plus a Great Gray Owl at dawn at Greenwood Lake access.

SpruceGrouse082copy.jpg

Nice shot Mike, today at the Admiral feeder a female WW cross bill came in with a small flock of pine grosbeaks. I had no luck finding a GGO tonight but I did meet Carl R. Sams and Jean Stoick on Thursday and tonight again. They are a great couple, very friendly and interesting to talk with. I hope some GGO show up soon.

Great find Mike!....I have yet to see a crossbill this winter!..........a ton of grosbeaks were at the Owl Avenue main feeder along with about 2 dozen siskens (first for me this year) and dozens of redpolls and a hoary mixed in the lot...also had 3 boreal chickadees at the Arkola station this morning along with the redpolls(and a hoary), pine grosbeaks and gray jays...I met a couple that drove all the way from southwestern Iowa to see(and photo) the boreal chickadees at the stations...glad he got his wish!....no owls of either species for me today....but was just nice to see the huge gatherings of birds!....

Jay & John:

A Great Gray Owl was seen in Sax Zim Bog tonight ( Sunday ) on the Stickney Rd about 2 miles north of CR 52 on the east west dike diversion. It was hanging in the area for nearly an hour before it flew into the woods. Yes Carl Sams was able to video the owl from 5:15pm to 5:30pm. We are heading to the bog on 2/9 with hopes of seeing owls before the ice storm. I heard from a birder in Melrude that a Great Gray was seen early this morning on the McDavitt Rd.

John: I saw a Long-tailed Weasel on the owl Ave feeder south of Overton Rd on Friday 2/6. It has a tunnel under the carcass to the woods behind the feeders. I also saw tonight a beautiful Hoary Redpoll coming to this feeder too.

Everyone I have talked to really appreciated all these feeders you set up John and Jason! So many people from all over the US are getting lifers at these feeders.

Mike

Good find on the owl. Its been three weeks since I have seen more then a fly by of one.

There is a weasel that comes to the Arkola Station too. That is where I got the weasel picture for my avatar. They are always fun to watch and so cute you almost want to take them home...lol

I actually got a lifer on Thursday. I watched two brown creepers off of the woodpecker trails on McDavitt Rd. It was a brief sighting with no pictures. The creepers have managed to avoid me for years so I was a bit surprised to see them show up out of the blue. You never know whats going to make an appearance down there.