• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Any Kawasaki riders??

gr8icefishinmind

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok so i found a 07 for 6,100 but then i realized its carburated. i was kinda thinking more towards fuel injection but this seems like a pretty good deal. is the fuel injection that nessisary? i never go in the mountains or nothing so i dont ever have to change jets or anything like that.

I personally would not buy an atv that is carbed after having fuel Injection. 6100 for an 07 is not a good deal when you can get an 08 for that. If you have the chance to ride both take the opportunity. Do a search for kawi dealers around you and see if they have 08's, they should match the 6100 deal on one

Yup, ditto on carbs. Go with a injected fuel system.

Are you planning on any extras like a winch, or skid

plates? If you do a lot of trail riding they are going

to come in very handy, and will save you BIG money

when you rip up the cheapo plastic set of skids and

damage something. Or say you get stuck and need to pull

a rig outta a mudhole. I would say get the skid plate

first then the winch. You could also try and haggle

with the dealer to get them to throw you a bone, since

it is a buyers market out there. Same with a extended

warranty (you get a 12 month usually). The dealers have

flexibility to get the machine out the door. 6200 is

pretty good. Mine was 6500 on the then new model 08.

I bought my winch and skid set on line.

I agree with TUMBLEWEED. It's definitely a buyers market. I picked up a Kawsaki Concours 14 on Saturday. The dealer threw one helmet in on the deal, gave another at cost and cut us a great deal on jackets and gloves.

The extra bucks for the 3000 lb winch is well worth it on a bigger machine. Just got my new Warn RT30 last week and replaced my second 2500 lb. The difference may seem minimal sitting in the box but on the machine its awesome.

You guys in southern part of the state always have better deals on holdovers...I'm jealous! I just may head down there next time I buy a machine.

Tyler.......efi vs carb is really not a big deal and to tell you the truth, carb is a cheaper way to go! Efi means more electronics that can go wrong and also means you have to deal with an electronic fuel pump!! They r nice cause they do fire right up, but, people seem to think that fuel injection means you can start your wheeler up and take off right away no matter how cold!! It doesn't work that way!!! My carb 07 650 brute has no problem starting no matter how cold i just need to warm it up longer, which is not a bad thing!! if you get a efi make sure you warm it up before you take off!!!

p.s. 6100 on a 07 is not a good deal, there r much better deals out there....keep looking!!!

My opinion on efi vs carb.

I do not think carbs are a cheaper way due to the fact that the the F.I. will hold its value a little better in years to come, don't ever have to get your carbs cleaned out, and will never have to jet your carbs. Depending if you are a gear head and can do these things yourself then maybe it could be cheaper but realistically its not going to be. The actual odds of something happening to your FI is slim to none and the odds of you having to mess with the carbs at some point are more likely.

I guess I'll be one of the first to say that I wasn't crazy about my Kawi. I had an '05 750. I definitely had intoxicating power, but that is about the only thing I liked about it. It should be noted that I am extremely hard on my machines, but I do keep them maintained.

Pros:

Good headlights

Amazing power

Cons:

Extremely cold blooded

Many belt problems, I may have been abusing it to an extent, but no worse than any other machine I've had.

Exhaust kept rattling loose

Ran so hot that I couldn't ride it more than 10 minutes without stopping to cool my leg

Tie rod broke (fixed under recall)

Handling was poor with stock rims/tires

Way more mud/debris in the airbox and transmission than should have been, even in mild riding conditions

I will say that I wouldn't be against a newer EFI version purely for the enjoyment of the power, but it would be purely a fun trail type machine. There would be no mud, hauling, or pulling. Gravel roads and grass only.

I stepped down a lot in power to a Honda Rincon, but will say that I have enjoyed this machine much, much more. It's far more refined IMO. Only problems I've had with any of my Hondas have been torn CV boots, which happens to all quads. I am by no means a Honda fanboy like some, I've just been extremely satisfied with their machines and wouldn't hesitate to buy another. I do look at all machines before I purchase.

My opinion on efi vs carb.

I do not think carbs are a cheaper way due to the fact that the the F.I. will hold its value a little better in years to come, don't ever have to get your carbs cleaned out, and will never have to jet your carbs. Depending if you are a gear head and can do these things yourself then maybe it could be cheaper but realistically its not going to be. The actual odds of something happening to your FI is slim to none and the odds of you having to mess with the carbs at some point are more likely.

Have you heard any feed back as to how the EFI machines hold up to getting swamped? Im curious if the computers are sealed good enough to handle this without it costing a grand to fix it if/when it happens.Also, i have concerns about how the injectors will handle being flooded with water in the same cercumstances. I know with a carbed machine I can be up and running in about an hr after flooding the engine.

From what I have read the EFI machines have been holding up. I have barried mine a few times in the mud and water and have not had a problem. From what I have seen and read the EFI machines aren't any worse to fix compared to the carbed machines. Either way a conscious person shouldn't swamp a machine without having is snorkeled anyways.

Mozy, I feel what you are saying about your old 05'. That was the first year for the brute and it did indeed have a few problems but have made the needed improvements since 05. It seems that every manufacturer has a rocky start with first year machines.

yes i agree efi seems like theres alot more electronic parts that could fail and carbs have been around forever so theyve got them dialed in. but from what ive heard the efi is pretty soild no major problems. changing jets isnt anything im scared of i can do that my self but like i said before i used me atv for hunting, ice fishing, and generaly riding. i never go on trips to the mountains or anything so its not like im going to be in different altitudes.

the guy with the 07 really needs to get rid of it and sounds like he will work with me quite a bit with my old one and maybe some options that i want on my new one. so maybe for the right price i will go for the 07. the guys with the 08's wont even think about trade ins.

Well Tyler it sounds like you want that 07, anyone with a leftover 07 will definately work considering 09's have been out for some time now. The thing is there is a reason why EFI is taking over opposed to carbs. Carbs have been around in every type of motor and now EFI has taken presedence. The reliability issue can go either way. In my opinion carbs have more moving parts that could lead to more problems. Many guys still prefer the carbs and some guys like the EFI. I think most guys with carbs have had great luck with them and are opposed to switching from this. EFI is definitely the wave of the future for atvs and all the manufacturers got it dialed in and figured out. Along with that the newer machines handle a lot better as well.

If you get that 07, try to get him to come down on price more.

I have had both the carb and efi and the power is very similar. The efi definately has a crisper throttle response. When I race my buddy who has an 06' with an ignition module I only beat him by about a bike length in a 300' drag.