• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Need tips for an ontario trip in june!

mainbutter

So I've been invited along on a fishing trip to ontario, mostly fishing for northerns.

The last time I went out fishing for northerns and musky, I was.. 10? 12? years old, and was happy to just cast around my fav. rapala with a lightweight spinning rod and catch a handful of 24 inchers every day.

I'm thinking now that it's many years later and I'm rather interested in trying out new things and getting some new equipment.

Anyone want to share what kind of lures/reels/rods I might want to look at? I'm going to do some searching around, but figured I'd get a head start with suggestions laugh

I have a budget of around $200 at the moment, though that is subject to change.

Oh P.S. the lake we're going to also has a healthy musky population.. I've never fished for musky before, but are musky lures also worthwhile to throw around for northerns?

Thanks guys!

The problem with muskie lures is $200 won't get you very far. They do work for big pike though (and even some small hungry ones). Early in the year though you can get by on smaller lures for musky. I would be looking at some size 5 inline spinners to some of the smaller bucktails as they are usually cheaper. Bomber long-A's, husky j3rks and xraps, and even plastics will work (until the fish destroy them at least). Get a variety that can cover all conditions from topwater to deep rock piles. Don't forget some good leaders as well...

if your fishing esox you NEED a leader. The most flexible stuff out there which I have used a lot is cortland toothy critter and tyger wire, which both are flexible nylone coated wire which you knot yourself. They say most knots work, and they probably do, but they are kind of tricky to try. I use a uni, clinch, and non-slip loop knots and they all work great.

Five of Diamonds

1 oz Rattle trap

Large spinner baits with split tail white grub trailer.

Those are what you will need. 7' medium heavy rod with a good Abu Garcia bait caster. I like at least a 40# wire leader, 18" should do it.

Be sure somebody in your boat has a decent net, and don't forget needle nose pliers and jaw spreaders.

if it was me with about 200 dollars? i'd go to gander and get a guide series rod/reel set-up. if it's just one trip and occasional fishing. not real sure if you can use a baitcaster but for 80 bucks you can get a combo to get you by. if you can't use a baitcaster then a Zebco Omega spin-cast reel, 50 bucks, and a 30-40 dollar guide series rod should do, line( from behind counter) is spooled free with reel purchase off shelf so put some cheap braid on either reel. then with the rest i'd get lures at sportsmans warehouse. these are fool proof.

spinner baits. not too big not too small 1 ounce mabe 1 1/2. probably three. 20-21 dollars.

two 7'' swim-whizz- 15-16 dollars

two super shad raps- 17 dollars

2 mepps musky killers (hate that name!). 20 dollars

1 topwalker 20 dollars maybe less

a dare develle 8 bucks.... and some leaders. a bit over and you might need a little extra for the taxes too. if that don't get them my name is Mudf1sh1. wink

and when you come back with that incurable mystery bug, Heckler Tackle will set you up with something nice and shiny.... grin

Red eye wigglers, buy one of each color. I go to Ontario every other year and fish with red eyes about 90 percent of the time, or mepps #5 bucktails, of course you cant go wrong in canada, throw out a stick with a hook on it and you'll catch pike. We're heading up in June and I cant wait to get the slimy critters!! Get yourself the titanium leaders, they work well and don't kink like the steel ones, they're about 8 bucks a piece though, so make sure you tie them well. Good luck!

Overall, I don't fish Canada alot for pike, but I do spend a fair amount of time in the Quetico Wilderness each June, and I like to spend a fair amount of time targeting big pike. The deal is, this is a portage type deal. Everything you bring along, you have to carry with you for the entire week, so we pack smart and light.

And, what I have found is that I really don't require alot of stuff. Perhaps it is not ideal, but we definitely get by and have great success anyway.

We use the same spinning outfits for pike, smallies and walleye. 8# Trilene XT and 10/4 fireline. Spinnerbaits, crankbaits, and jigs. We catch pike over 40" pretty much every year. Lots of fish in the 10-15 pound class.

And although I have a ton of musky gear, I find it unnecessary to bring that stuff along. Big baitcaster outfits and big lures stay home cuz of sheer size and weight.

Now if I had a real boat along, I would probably do things differently. Especially if there were muskies involved! But I'm just saying, if it can be done with light gear out of a canoe, then you can get by without spending a fortune on stuff you don't already have. Playing the fish correctly is the most important part to landing it.

Keep in mind that lighter gear usually spells a more tired fish, especially if they are big...A good thing to keep in mind when it comes to the CPR part. You'll want to keep that part short and sweet for the fish's sake.

Catch a big one and let us know how you do.

Pike in Canada is probably my favorite past time.

Do you have experience with a baitcaster? You could get a decent combo for $80-150, or buy your own separately (I ALWAYS recommend this to customers, customized set-ups always beat out store combos). My main big pike rod is a Pflueger baitcaster and Gander Mountain Guide Series set up, which runs around $200, or a little more, depending on what they're running right now.

Oops, just realized I'm late for class, I'll come back in an hour and edit this with a bunch more info.

Hey mainbutter, My husband got me fishing Northerns in Ontario 8 years ago. It is AWESOME. I have a little of everything in the tackle box, but I don't even think about leaving home without a gold spoon and a gold&orange spoon to toss. While casting for Northern's don't be surprised when you reel in smallies, walleye! I also agree about having leaders, needle nose pliers and mouth spreaders. Hope you find your monster!