• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Lap top not picking internet

Shwangman

Question

I have two PC's and a lap top all working fine until a week ago and now the lap top won't connect to wireless unless I unplug the router cable and go direct, is the only way I can get the internet. Some one told me, maybe I have a bad wireless card but I would not even know what to look for or where to buy. Is this something I will probably have to take into to best buy?? Ticks me off, 14 months old, so its 2 months out of warranty.

Thanks

13 answers to this question

This happens to mine occasionally. There are 2 reasons in my situation that it happens. I have my wireless router set up to not broadcast the SSID, and to only allow specific MAC addresses to access the network. For whatever reason, once and awhile my laptop can't see the network anymore. To fix that, I temporarily broadcast the SSID, and once the laptop picks it up I disable the broadcast again. The second thing I have to do about once every couple of months when it doesn't work is to unplug the power from the wireless router for about 30 seconds and plug it back in. It works again after that. I have a Linksys router that I've had for about 4 yrs now and these are the only 2 "issues" I've had with it. Good luck!

Let's start simple. Make sure that the wireless card is not turned off. Most laptop have a button that turns the wireless off and on. Also right click on the my computer icon and go to manage and then device manager and make sure the wireless card is not disabled. If all that checks out go to your wireless setting and redo your wireless setup.

I am guessing something in those items listed will be the issue.

I have had a couple of similar problems. First of all power down your router, wait, and turn it back on. I would also restart your computer while doing it. I have had problems with the addresses between my router and computer and rebooting both seems to solve it.

I've had problems with my wireless getting slow - rebooting my computer seemed to help for a while. But the fix was taking it back to Best Buy and the 'Geek Squad' updated my wireless router driver and it hasn't given me any problems since. I wouldn't buy any laptop with less than the 3 year warranty. It's a little more expensive but well worth it.

I have had a couple of similar problems. First of all power down your router, wait, and turn it back on. I would also restart your computer while doing it.

That's what I do (D-Link router) and it always works. Also there should be a reset on the back of the router, make sure you hit that.

Not sure about, i will have to get a hold of the person who hooked the router up.I know I get pop ups from the Linksys router so i would say yes but, I have not seen that for some time.

THANKS TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!