Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
charliepete2

Sitting or Standing?

16 posts in this topic

So at the moment of truth, are you sitting or standing? When I first started bowhunting I spooked a few deer trying to stand up, so for years I've been doing the bulk of my shooting from a seated position. About the only time I attempt to stand is when an animal comes in on my domimant hand side. How about you?

Ive always shot standing, it just feels more comfortable although its not always easy to get up.

i practice both ways that way im comfortable either way so for me i don't have a preference

standing,theres no way you should spook the deer if you get up REALLY REALLY SLOWLY, and only move when there not looking ur direction

I used to ALWAYS stand, but with advanced age (ouch) it often is more comfortable now to sit. I am more steady now while seated and that makes me a bit more confident. I'll still stand in a heartbeat if I think things are going to happen fast and I can't be sure where that deer will be when it's time for the shot.

both, have a blind i made that goes around my stand and it seems that they dont spook as easy,i also brush it in also.

I try to set myself up for a sitting shot when possible but most of the time I end up standing. If I have advanced warning I alwasy stand so I can be ready to take a shot in any direction.

I do far more practice sitting. Because most the time I stand morning for first hour. and last hour before dark.Any thing else im probable sitting I think its a harder shot any way!!

I will try to stand but If I believe the deer will see my movements, then it gets whacked sitting down.

Typically I see it coming far enough in advance that I have time to stand as it walks around another tree.

I've shot all my deer standing. I won't rule out a sitting shot if a standing one isn't an option though.

I've shot almost all of mine sitting. We dont have to many trees to put a stand on here in farm country so im either sitting on the ground or in a home made built stand in the wide open CRP.

Standing. I use a climber alot and when I am sitting I am facing the tree. I do like to sit when in a 15 ft ladder stand though, they arent up high enough to get away with as much movement.

I have shot deer both sitting and standing. Given a choice, I'd rather be sitting because my practice has shown I'm a bit steadier when seated. Having said that, you have to be practiced at both, as the deer is not always in a position where sitting would be an option.

Good question. I'm having this dilema myself because all my stands are ladder stands. I like the ladder for safety reasons and easy of putting them up. BUT I feel that most of the deer see me or even sense me while I sit. Also sitting really limits your shooting range (left to right etc) I missed a very respectable buck last year because he walked behind me and to my right side (i'm right handed) and couldn't get a shot. Now if I was in a hang on stand I could have easily turned a complete 180 and taken the shot. Im now changing my stands and going to a hang on just because of more range or available shooting options. I just have been burned to many times "sitting" and I think if I stand when deer come I don't get siloutted as bad or as much because my body is closer to my tree.

that's just my .02.

mr