• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Minnkota 12-24Volt Ques.

sparcebag

Whats the difference between a 12 volt and 24 volt! Does the 24 have a extra set of brushes? If so cant the extra set be removed and use it as 12 volt?

They cant be much different than other electric motors,But I never had the opportunity to take a 24 volt apart

If you apply 12vdc to a 24vdc motor, chanes are you won't get the prop speed you need. Changing the voltage on dc motors is how motor speed is controlled.

Using Ohm's law (E=IR) and Joule's law (P=EI) you would discover that applying a lower voltage to a resistance will result in lower current and therefore lower power. Basically the motor horsepower would drop and so too would torque.

Bob

That depends on how your boat is wired, or how much work you want to put into it to make it happen.

Is it a two wire setup or a four wire setup, as in, does each battery have it's own set of leads, or is the parallel connection made at the batteries?

marine_man

Can you use 12v and 24v motors on the same boat? I currently have two batteries for my 12v motor. If I add a 24v transom motor can I still use the 12v with same batteries?

Yes you would power the 12 TM off of battery 2 in this diagram.

It may be a bit of hassle to get wired up depending on your set-up.

I think you could add a switch also to make it work.

12-24Vwiring-1.jpg

Originally Posted By: DRH1175
Can you use 12v and 24v motors on the same boat? I currently have two batteries for my 12v motor. If I add a 24v transom motor can I still use the 12v with same batteries?

My bad I was responding to drh1175's question.

Agreed... but drh1175 was effectively wondering if you he can run his two batteries in parallel and series at the same time. Which, unless you have a 4 wire plug I don't think is possible.

marine_man

I think I can according to the diagram. Thanks! If I run the 12v off 1 battery and use the 24v using two in series it will work! Right now I have them Parallel to use the 2 batteries for my 12v bow mount. I want to get a vantage trolling motor for the rear, but they only come in 24 and 36 volt versions. I don't want to have to sell the 12 and purchase a new 24v bow as well.

I think I can according to the diagram. Thanks! If I run the 12v off 1 battery and use the 24v using two in series it will work!

Yes, this will definitely work. The way I interpreted your first post you wanted to run the 12V with parallel batteries... hence my response.

marine_man