• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Glove?

sbro73

Jeez I did not know my manhood would be questioned because I got cut by a fish wink Like I said I have handled quite a few with no problems, this one just got me. Best I can figure it was the gil plate since it sliced my thumb wide open, nice and clean. $600 was at Hayward Hospital ER at 1am.

This may sound kind of sick, but I like to immerse myself in the total experience of musky fishing, and that means no gloves. Getting cut and bit is part of the deal, to the point of being fun or funny at times. Especially when it happens to your partner (you can always laugh about it afterward, right Duck?). The only thing that really annoys me is when I'm bleeding all over the boat and I have to take time to rinse before it dries.

The more fish you handle, the more you learn to minimize this. And then you get careless and it takes a fish to remind you. For me, it's a never ending cycle. I generally keep lots of bandaids and gauze in the glovey.

I keep gloves in the boat, but mostly for clients. Without them, quite a few greenhorns wouldn't be willing to pose with their fish. And doing the picture part right is really important.

Some veterans like them too, and that's fine.

Like AWH said, Musky Armor are good. They're thinner and allow you to feel better, which is important, but I do think they (any glove) are harder on the fish's gills than bare hands. Any glove seems to catch more on the rakers. Personally, I can't feel what I'm doing as well. Fishing alot in the dark complicates.

Especially when using gloves, I watch clients carefully to see that they have a hold on the jaw bone, and not between the gills, which they can't necessarily feel. I like to wet the gloves first. Hands too.

Can't ever remember anyone bleeding though while wearing the gloves. If that's important to ya, and if it would give you confidence, then you should have some. Wearing gloves with success is better than not wearing them and dropping the fish!

but I do think they (any glove) are harder on the fish's gills than bare hands. Any glove seems to catch more on the rakers. Personally, I can't feel what I'm doing as well.

That is the key for me, can't feel what your doing and the rubber is harder on the gills. It is all about the fish right? Less stress the higher CPR rates, no gloves is just one more way to reduce the stress on the fish.

No Gloves for this guy!

Originally Posted By: BrianLucky13
I'm not a fan for gloves. Too much time to put on while the fish needs to be released. Be a man and deal with the cuts and stitches!!!!

just noting this... i think its funny in your avitar you are holding a fish with gloves on

C'mon, I already kicked him around on that. Sat morning I was watching muskie hunter TV or whatever its called on FSN and there was the host handling all his fish with gloves, looked like a leather glove

Yup, it's a Lindy glove,uses that almost everytime I see the show, made me ask the question in the first place. In the long run it seems to much of a hassle to wear one,just have to carry a bottle of Zap glue!

I wear a lindy glove or similar now. I've gotten cut almost every time i've handled a fish bare handed. Never even close with the glove.

I don't buy the whole "takes less time without", sorry. If you fight a fish and it's sitting in the net, it's better to let it rest before yanking it out and hurrying up the process. It's the analogy of running a race/sprint yourself and burying your head in the lake while exhausted, you'd rather rest and catch your breath first. Take your time, give the fish a good break in the net before pulling it out.

Gloves all the way... I usually go for those carpenter gloves you can find at Home Depot or Menards as long the palm area is "smooth" and without pads n etc... Those has worked well for me...

I feel that with those gloves, I have a better grip at holding the fish without worrying about the gillrakers or whatsoever... and they're washable too...

Musky Armor gloves for me all the way. I have never been cut by the gill rakers before or after buying the gloves. Just like the extra security they provide to me. Like Aaron said, I velcro them right up front next to my release tools, and as soon as the fish is in the net, on they go. Takes all of about 10 seconds and when done put them back. Running to your next spot dries them out.

Fishing with Pearson last summer, he uses a big thick leather glove when he releases fish. With the number of fish he has caught over his life, I figure he can't be wrong and a glove is the way to go!