Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
hunterfisher

Atwood Furnace problem?????

7 posts in this topic

I have an Atwood forced air heater and have started to experience some problems. When i first hook up my gas and turn it on it starts and fires and only runs for a few minutes before the burner goes out and the fan just continues to run (when it finally runs correctly it does shut off automatically about 45 seconds after the burner goes off). If you shut it off and start it again the blower comes on and you can just hear the ignitor clicking and it wont fire. If i keep trying this it usually will start at some point, maybe in an hour or two of doing this over and over again. Ihave tried all sorts of things, full tank vs 1/2 full tank, switched regulators with the stove, pulled regulator off and brought it in and warmed it up with mr heater, warmed up area where furnace is located with lamps and mr heater, banged on hose and valve to see if something (ice) might have gotten in there. I have tried all these different things with a fully charged battery.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do I need to replace the gas valve? Is it a problem with the furnace control board?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I do like how it heats my house (6.5x14) and would like to get it running good again. I have considered just getting rid of it for a ventfree to get away from the batteries but that really hasn't been that big of deal. I don't use a generator, I bring two deep cycles and it runs lites and the furnace all weekend with out any problem - even when it was -35 on mille lacs for 3 days.

Thanks in advance for any help....

we had the same thing happen when we were on upper red this year, tried most of the stuff you mentioned. Tried taking apart it as well. (lucky the little buddy was able to heat the house a little bit as well) we finally contacted the resort we went out of (rogers) and ended up paying their furnace guy to come out. Ended up costing 80 bucks, he was out there for about an hour and half taking it apart. Said our ignitor was gummed up. Cleaned that and we were fine.

Wmn luv,

Did yours make a clicking sound when it was trying to fire after the blower started. Too me I thought that sound was from the ignitor sparking, and why at first would it fire and then not??? just some more questions. I am definitely going to take it apart and clean the ignitor, it can't hurt anything.

Thanks again..

yep, would keep clicking when it was trying to start up (maybe about 5 times or so) Thought the same thing myself. But as it was explained to me that is just it trying to ignite but it wasnt able to fire up and get the spark. (kind of like flicking a dead lighter over and over again and not getting the flame) We didnt have many tools with us so we were pretty happy we could find someone to get it fixed. It definately sounds exactly like the problem we had. Good luck

hunterfisher, Is this only when you attempt to start it from cold?? Does it try igniting in 3 or 4 groups of 'snaps'? I had that problem when I first bought the one for my house, I don't know why, but one time I went outside right after I turned it on and when I heard the snapping sound I quickly put my hand over the exhaust vent and it lit! After that, It worked fine. It was like it was drawing too much air into the combustion chamber and the burner couldn't ignite with that much flow. See if that works on yours and let us know the results. Phred52