• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Jason Mitchell Meat Stick

I painted the tip of one of mine to Flou orange. It seems to not effect the action at all and I will need to see how well I can see the tip the next trip out in a week or so.

I taped off the tip approx 5 inches from the tip top so I also had a nice clean paint line.

This was my favorite rod to use this winter, for the non-bobber tip-down guy I am, this rod is a lot of fun to fish with. I think I'm going to pick up at least a couple more and make them my primary icefishing rods. I'm a deadsticker, these rods fit my style to a T.

I do like the painting idea, going to have to give that a go as well.

I am not sure if it is ok to disagree about a sponsor, but I bought two of these rods and was extremely disappointed. I actually broke one on a large bluegill. I can't say that has ever happened to me before. I took both of them back with the explanation and the store I bought them from said no problem, you aren't the first to have a problem with these rods.

D&F, sorry to hear about your bad experience, I have heard of others who have broke the tips, but it was not while fighting a fish. There are lemons in everyone group of products, maybe you got one?

The Jason Mitchell line of rods are truly exceptional rods and at a great price, I would encourage you to try out another one, maybe not a Meat Stick, but a 26" Perch or the 24" Spring Bobber rod are both great sticks for panfish.

OK gang I had been thinking of replacing at least one of my cheap rods and it seems like the meatstick might just be the ticket. So pardon my ignorance here, as this is just my second season being on the ice after moving from the west coast. I checked out the Jason Mitchell web site to look at this rod and noticed the handle is just strait cork with what appears to be no way to attach the reel. Am I missing something here? How are people attaching reels to these rods with no reel seats?

Hopefully somebody else will chime in on where to get it, I got mine from someone in the airline mechanic industry. I would guess that some hardware stores would carry it, I've also heard it being called Tommy Tape before. Can anyone else help AvonAngler out?

I have seen Tommy Tape at Menards. I just use a good electrical tape and have had no problems in 30 plus years of doing so. I even do so on my Tennessee handles on my summer rods. Get good electrical tape because the cheaper stuff seems to get gooey.

Ahhhh makes sense! I've never heard of silicon tape.....where would you find that kind of tape?

It is not easy to find, I spent about 20 minutes at Menards in Richfield, talked to about 4 different clerks and they all looked at me like I was crazy and sent me off to check another department. A google search showed Hardware Hank has it but it's expensive.

I use 3M Super 33 Electrical tape, easy to find and about $3 a roll, and haven't had any major issues with the cork tearing off when removed.

I too just bought my first meatstick. Rigged it up tonight and will try it first thing in the morning. Yep, I'm pretty excited. I'm quickly becoming a believer in having good equipment. I have 6 inferior FF combo specials that I just can't stand using anymore. I almost always just use my one and only St Croix. I'm hoping this JM will compliment it well.

We use the silicone tape as the final overlay for 13,800 volt terminations. We get if from electrical supply houses with our termination kits but I'm sure you could find it at a big box hardware store. I just use either 3M 33 black or 35 colored tape. 50% stretch with a half lap overlay works great.

I also just use electrical tape, before attaching the reel I wrap up the handle in a single layer of tape just about a half inch wider then the reel seat. Then I tape on the reel and away we go, when and if I want to change reels it is a simple matter of undoing or cutting the top layer, leaving the base on to attact the next reel. If nothing else is saves the cork handle from being damaged.