• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Portable question- fishtrap owners

spotchecker

I won a fishtrap guide in a fishing contest and i'm wondering if it's big enough for a couple of guys that go about 6'3 250#. Jeff at cabinfever said he would let me upgrade to a yukon or voyager. I've never been in any of them but I want to do it right. It will cost extra money but thats better than having something that doesn't fit or I'm not comfortable in. What do you think

I have a guide and it can be done with two guys that size but it will be tight. If all you have to pay is the upgrade to one of the other ones then it's worth every penny.

I acutally use the guide more as a one man now and its great for one guy.

If weight and size for transportation\storage are not a problem, go bigger, very few people complain of having to much room.

Tweeder I think Jeffs trying to make my life difficult. He only wants 75.00 difference from a yukon to a voyager. Is that because yukons are more popular(easier to heat, haul around)or the voys. harder to sell.If I want to get A yukon he wants $150.I really could use some help from people who own these models. Any fishtrap pros out there.

sticknstring, I was hoping I would hear something positive about the yukon because I dont need a portable that can fit 3 people. All the propane pumped into big portables without proper vent. will make you sick or kill ya. I had a close call with A clam sleeper on LOtW 15 yrs. ago.We aren't going there again! Thanks for your input.

i have a voyager and it works great as a two man. plenty of room for two people and can fish 3 people with one on a bucket. Heating is only an issue when it is really cold with high wind. I have been out with in real cold weather with no wind and havent had any problems. Only thing i dont like is going solo with high winds tends to try to blow right out from under you.

I have a Voyeager and my friend has a Yukon. Weight difference isn't that much, and a sunflower heats both very well, so heating isn't a problem. i bought the Voyeager to fish two people out of. Is very comfortable for two with plent of room to move. Plus is still easy to set up and move around. I would go Voyeager over Yukon. One more thing on the heat. I like to be comfortable and even on cold days, I can take off the jacket with the sunflower going. keep the vents open and to CO problems.

I also have a voyager and would recommend it over a yukon. A big plus is being able to stand up and stretch a bit without going outside, also room for 3 without a prob. 2 people is ideal with room to spare. I can load mine in the truck by myself. For heat a sunflower will heat it just fine, if you don't like the fumes a big buddy will work very well also. The little buddy works as long as its not real cold but big buddy will keep you warm in about any weather.

I fish a Voyager and usually fish two guys out of it. Relatively easy to heat even on butt cold days with the inexpensive addition of Reflectix insulation (about $30). I'm almost 6' at #240 and love the space it gives me. I have friends that have smaller models, I feel claustriphobic in them. I'd personally rather deal with the slightly higher weight and have the extra space/elbow room and be able to stand up. And once you get a heater, a bait bucket, a vexilar, and a camera set up in front of you (not to mention a lantern if you don't do some form of hanging lights) all arranged around 4-5 holes in the ice, there really isn't a lot of unused "floorspace". You need all the "floorspace" with that stuff.

B@ssmaster,I never thought of that! I have a camera. That would give me room to drill an extra hole for that. If nobody tells me I'm going to get fumigated in a voyager I think I like every thing I'm hearing about them. By the way anybody got A couple hundred bucks I can borrow?HA HA Just kidding but.

The voyager fits in the back of a reg. 1/2 t shortbox truck bed. It does not leave much room to spare though. I put my auger bucket & propane tank to the side of it and everything fits very well. What doesn't go in the sled fits next to it in the space provided by the wheel wells. Good luck, i think you will enjoy it!

B@ssmaster,I never thought of that! I have a camera. That would give me room to drill an extra hole for that. If nobody tells me I'm going to get fumigated in a voyager I think I like every thing I'm hearing about them. By the way anybody got A couple hundred bucks I can borrow?HA HA Just kidding but.

I am not sure how you can get fumigated? Dont they have vents on both sides and if you leave your front door zipped open a bit you should have plenty of air moving through.

That is what I do and have had no problems for years......

Northland, I think I've been had in A good way of course. I,m one of those guys they call tiny,(im laughing so hard i cant type straight. If you knew how much stuff I have that doesen't fit one way or another mostly on the small side you would get why I started this post.