Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JigginIsLife

best 3-4 day ride

7 posts in this topic

looking for either an earlier spring or preferably late summer 3-4 day ride somewhere. starting in fargo could lead from here to duluth over into wisconson or michigan or possibly the other way through ND to montana or SW to like nebraska or colorado( i think i can make it that far is 3-4 maybe 5 days. anyone have any expirence in going in any of these directions.

We went over into WI last year and rode up to Superior WI on that side of the river. Crossed over to the MN side at Duluth and continued on up the North shore. Was a nice ride! If you go then stop at every other thing you want to see on the way up that way you can stop at every other thing on the way back down and you will see them all. We went kinda late in the year, end of Sept or first part of Oct, and it does get chilly up there that time of the year! We want to get our passports and then drive up and circle the entire lake up through Canada. Being late in the year we did not make any reservations and for the most part had little trouble finding a room the whole time we were up there.

Another ride that I want to do is ride out to the Terry Redlin art center in Watertown SD. There must be some other things to do in that state as well ;-) Take care and N JOy the Hunt././Jimbo

Think about leaving Fargo and heading up to Winnipeg Manitoba and then across through Canada to Thunder Bay Ontario. Then down the North Shore of Lake Superior to Duluth and back along highway 2 or 210 to Fargo.

A friend and I did the four corners of the state of Minnesota last summer. We started in south central Minnesota. Went to the southwest corner (Hills) then up hwy 75 to the northwest corner (Noyes). Over to Roseau where we spent the first night(618 miles the first day, all on 2 lane roads) Woke up the next morning to hail bouncing of the window of our motel room. We rode in between two thunderstorms most of the second day. We got wet a few times, and it was pretty cold (It stayed around 40-45 degrees) went through Intl. Falls, to Ely, Then down to the north shore. We wanted to get up to Grand Portage, then back down to Grand Marais before we stopped, but when we hit Grand Marais we were so cold that we stopped for the night. The next morning we went up to Grand Portage, then back down to Duluth for lunch at Grandma's Saloon. Down along the river to Red Wing. Spent the third night there. The next morning, we continued along the river to the southeast corner (New Albin Iowa Which is almost right on the border)over to Eitzen, through Caladonia, Lansboro etc. along the Root River (Awesome ride) Then back home to Fairmont by 3:00 P.M.

Total of 1695 miles. in four days. We didn't stop a to see many sights. We wanted to keep moving. This was an incredible trip. One of the best of my life. It was amazing to see how much the landscape changed as we rode. We are planning another trip for this summer, but we are not sure which way to go yet.

Good luck, and ride safe.

Sheesh Determan, that is an Iron Butt cruise! A lot of miles for sure! We went to the north shore late summer as well... gets chilly up there early! Take care and N Joy the Hunt././Jimbo

uffda no kidding the northshore sounds like such a great ride. so does the ride up into winnepeg and then down over by superior and back over on 2. thanks for the ideas guys i cant wait to hit the road again.

Think about leaving Fargo and heading up to Winnipeg Manitoba and then across through Canada to Thunder Bay Ontario. Then down the North Shore of Lake Superior to Duluth and back along highway 2 or 210 to Fargo.

If I were you I'd go East at Drayton, go to Baudette, then North through Nestor Falls to Kenora. Alot better scenery then the Winnipeg bypass. However if you ever get close to Steinbach, Manitoba you have to stop in at the Honda dealership at the North end of town and take a look at their Vintage bike collection. It's pretty impressive.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• 3 hours ago, sportfish said:

Thanks for  good read ! 

Was this your first elk trip ? 

Yep for most in the group it was our first real trip out West, next trip will probably be mule deer, tag soup on elk hurts a lot more with how pricey those tags are.

• I am planning to be there as well.

MJ1657 likes this
    • I also use the zman original chatterbait. I am a chatterbait nut. Probably one of my favorite baits to throw. The strike king pure poisons are great too but swim a little lower in the water column than the zmans. My biggest fish the past few years have usually come on a chatterbait in the spring and fall. Early spring and late fall I will use mostly a chartreuse/white chatterbait with a white super fluke as a trailer. Very subtle action on the fluke, which I love in the colder water periods. Once the water starts warming up a bite I will switch to a lake fork tackle live magic shad. I'll throw mostly the zmans candy craw with a green pumpkin lake fork magic shad. I fish these over the top and through weeds in the spring and fall and rip them if they get caught in the weeds. They also work great around docks and skipping them under docks. A few weeks ago I wish fishing a dirty lake with a great dock bite and caught about 18-19lbs off of chatterbaits by fishing them around docks and skipping them under docks. 

Edited by bassfshin24
    • I think we all need to keep in mind that the defense is basically the exact same group of players and coaches that were together all of last year.  They should be performing better than the offense.  Whereas, the offense has been completely reshaped during the off season and through injury.  It will take time to gel.  Also, remember the impact Diggs made last year once he was ready to play.  Zimmer just made the same comment about Treadwell not being ready yet.  Not saying he will make a huge impact, but he could provide an improvement over Johnson.  The O line needs to get it figured out.  Berger is solid, Fusco and Clemmings are improving.  Boone/Sirles and Smith need to get better quickly.

The defense carried the team through the last two weeks, which are also the most difficult weeks with the exception of GB in GB.  They are in great shape with what appears to be a favorable schedule based on early results in the NFL.  If the offense improves and the defense remains solid, they should have a good chance to win in most games.  Not saying they will win all games, just a chance to win.  And hope it doesn't come down to a last second field goal!

• 16 minutes ago, Bear55 said:

They have to tell themselves something because admitting that their party and these candidates are trash is too hard for some. It's almost religious the amount of devotion some people have to these parties.

Irrational Escalation of Commitment is certainly present - from both sides - in a major way this election cycle. I think it's odd that so many people on both Team Blue and Team Red are unwilling to admit that their party's candidate is a turd with enormous flaws that ought to disqualify them from serious consideration for office.

• Yep for most in the group it was our first real trip out West, next trip will probably be mule deer, tag soup on elk hurts a lot more with how pricey those tags are.
    • I am planning to be there as well.
    • I also use the zman original chatterbait. I am a chatterbait nut. Probably one of my favorite baits to throw. The strike king pure poisons are great too but swim a little lower in the water column than the zmans. My biggest fish the past few years have usually come on a chatterbait in the spring and fall. Early spring and late fall I will use mostly a chartreuse/white chatterbait with a white super fluke as a trailer. Very subtle action on the fluke, which I love in the colder water periods. Once the water starts warming up a bite I will switch to a lake fork tackle live magic shad. I'll throw mostly the zmans candy craw with a green pumpkin lake fork magic shad. I fish these over the top and through weeds in the spring and fall and rip them if they get caught in the weeds. They also work great around docks and skipping them under docks. A few weeks ago I wish fishing a dirty lake with a great dock bite and caught about 18-19lbs off of chatterbaits by fishing them around docks and skipping them under docks. 
    • I think we all need to keep in mind that the defense is basically the exact same group of players and coaches that were together all of last year.  They should be performing better than the offense.  Whereas, the offense has been completely reshaped during the off season and through injury.  It will take time to gel.  Also, remember the impact Diggs made last year once he was ready to play.  Zimmer just made the same comment about Treadwell not being ready yet.  Not saying he will make a huge impact, but he could provide an improvement over Johnson.  The O line needs to get it figured out.  Berger is solid, Fusco and Clemmings are improving.  Boone/Sirles and Smith need to get better quickly. The defense carried the team through the last two weeks, which are also the most difficult weeks with the exception of GB in GB.  They are in great shape with what appears to be a favorable schedule based on early results in the NFL.  If the offense improves and the defense remains solid, they should have a good chance to win in most games.  Not saying they will win all games, just a chance to win.  And hope it doesn't come down to a last second field goal!
    • Irrational Escalation of Commitment is certainly present - from both sides - in a major way this election cycle. I think it's odd that so many people on both Team Blue and Team Red are unwilling to admit that their party's candidate is a turd with enormous flaws that ought to disqualify them from serious consideration for office.
    • MH casting rod, braided line (w/fluoro leader if needed in clear water), grass pig or skinny dipper for a trailer. Great year-round bait...too many people think of it only as a spring/fall deal, but it will whack em all year.
    • I've been using the Strike King Pure Poison version of the chatterbait mostly because like the line attachment better.  They use a oval split ring instead of a snap that is on the Zman version.  I usually use a swim bait or a grub, for a swim bait I started using a lake fork paddle tail but it got to be too expensive, so I switched to using a havoc grass pig.  I usually use braided line with mine to prevent bite offs from Pike.
    • They have to tell themselves something because admitting that their party and these candidates are trash is too hard for some. It's almost religious the amount of devotion some people have to these parties.
    • A lot of the people that I know who were Bernie supporters seem to be leaning 3rd party at the moment.  They were supporting Bernie because they were fed up with the crapola we are normally fed and they saw it as a vote against the system.  Now that he's out of the race and we are stuck with these 2 candidates they are still on the "buck the system" trend and are leaning toward a 3rd party candidate of some sort.  We'll see how they actually vote when the time comes as the lure to vote against Trump will probably be strong with them so they may still vote Hillary despite their own objections. Personally the debate didn't change my opinion and I don't anticipate anything that will change my mind before the election.  I'm still planning to vote for Doogie Howser, M.D.  
  • Our Sponsors