• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Finally...a nice crappie

kitchy

I don't know about a fish out of water for a few minutes on the ice killing it.

About 10 years ago or so my father and I caught a pike on a tip up about an hour before dark. We tossed the fish on the ice and an hour later when dark we tossed it in the back of the pick up and headed home which was a 1 hour and 45 minute drive. When the pike started to thaw out right before we put the knife to it we talked my mom into letting us put in the bath tub. At the time we had a pond with aerator(sp?) and being under 16 I could legaly take the fish and put in the pond.

The pike started to come back to life after a couple hours and after the second day it was ready for it's second lease on life in the pond. The pike was later caught and released a couple years later in which time it went from 2 pounds to around 4 pounds.

The pike was out of the water for at least three hours.

Unless this was a miracle fish I would think they can live on the ice without water for a little longer than two minutes.

Last Saturday I watched a bass stay very alive on the ice in the shade of the pick up for a couple hours. For the first hour it sat upright and for the last hour or so of it's life it spent it on it's side.