Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
coombia21

why do you leave valuables in your fish house?

49 posts in this topic

i do not understand why people keep leaving their expensive stuff in their fish house when they know that people are breaking into fish houses if your stuff is that valuable why dont you take the time to remove it from your fish house

please let me know i just want an understanding

its this little thing i like to call human nature this is when trusting people think that everyone else out there is trusting too or is that ignorance?

thats a good question, my guess people feel safe that their stuff wont get stolen

Some of these fish houses are built solid with nice doors and locks. I assume that they feel they can leave their stuff. Pair that with being in a more rural setting than the cities and gives you a false comfort. I won't blame the folks that leave stuff, it's the scum that steal that are to blame.

i am not trying to blame anybody

but would you leave 1000 to 2000 dollars sitting in your car on the front seat even in a rural town

Ya I get what your saying. Its a sense of security that shouldnt be broken but is. I wont leave anything out there because I cant afford to replace it. I think that the main reason for it is because it is convinient to just go out and fish and not forget anything. Problem is you cant do that anymore and not worry about it being gone because the slimeballs have caught on and take advantage of it. It has always been a problem but it is now easier to communicate that there is a problem so more people know about it.

You sound like my neighbor. He asked the same thing about leaving stuff in my garage after I asked him to close and lock his garage door because that was their way of entry last time. I am sick of people saying that the owner is just asking for it to be stolen. No I wasn't asking for any of my stuff to be stolen and nor was anyone who had a house broken into. Did I take everything out of my garage, yes, but that still doesn't give anyone the right to break into it or anyone the right to point a finger at the victim. I sometimes wonder if the people that are bringing up topics like this or are putting blame on the owner aren't really the ones responsible for these thefts.

Its obviously the thefts fault for stealing, but there is not anything that can be done about that. Their is always gonna be people out there who steal so it is your job as an owner to make sure that you take every precaution to not getting your things stolen if you care about them. i go as far as locking up my generator to the ice house with a bike cable when i sleep out there. you are responsible for your stuff and if you take the precautions you will more than likely always have it.

I leave my stuff in my ice house first of all because I have insurance, secondly, I have tons of people watching my house and God help you if you are caught breaking into the love of my life.

I have read about 30 posts on here about how guys that leave stuff in their house deserve to have it taken from them. Next time you rural guys go on vacation just ask me to watch your place, I will be sure to give your house the same consideration.

Why is it any different if you have your house on the ice. If the stuff doesn't belong to you, keep your hands off of it, it's that simple. If you guys really think that stealing things is alright or someone deserves to have their stuff taken because they left in in a locked house, shame on you.

Nothing new here in the last few years, blame the theft on the guy that earned his gear and his money and let the theif off because a guy was too "lazy" to take his gear out of his house when he is coming back fishing the next day or even the day after.

I found a guys door wide open this year with all his gear in it. I locked his house and called him, after I spent a considerable amount of time trying to find his phone number. It was the right thing to do, period!!! Not stealing things that don't belong to you is the right thing to do.

After reading some of these threads I would love to see some of the viewpoints, on the rape of women in short skirts.....

I see no difference...blaming the victim of a crime because some jerk is thief or a rapist does not fix the problem. There is no reason a thief still wont kick my door down to see what I have inside. For heavens sake, watch each others shacks, don't buy really cheap gear and don't blame the victim because someone is a thieving jerk.

EpKirkman (DMPD ret.)

Lazy if ya ask me. Lets face it. In todays day an age you cant leave valuables in your fish house. Plain and simple. I dont care where you live. Whether you live in the cities or up north. There are dirtbags that like to steal our stuff EVERYWHERE. Sure it sucks to take all your gear out everytime, but its nice to only have to replace a door instead of thousands of dollars worth of electronics,rods,reels,ect....I now leave the door unlocked so they dont have to break that to get in sick. There always has been theives and always will be theives, so dont leave valuables in the shack.

when i put my permanent out in front of my cabin last year it had been broken into when i went in for the night and nothing was taken because there wasnt anything to take and now i dont even lock the door bacause if they want to get into the house they will get in but why have them ruin a good door in the process

I would also like to point out that I lived several years in NYC. I had everything I owned broken into. I had my locks ripped out of my cars for a 10 dollar tennis racket, windows broken for a 20 dollar sparkomatic hi-fi stereo system hooked up to one speaker. I locked my motorcycle up with a huge cable, I had my bike taken after they ripped the front fork off.

A thief is a piece of [PoorWordUsage] that will take whatever they want, you boys are lucky they don't just take your whole fishouse, take what they want and burn the rest. Cars are taken like that all the time in NY and elsewhere in the country. There are good people here that look out for our things and that trust the police to do their jobs. In other places there is no respect for property and insurance fraud runs rampant.

I love living here and I really appreciate the guys that do look out for my things. I have met more honest, hardworking people just from this HSOforum than I could possible name. I will take my chances leaving my stuff in my house.

I am one of those people who takes everything with them. I don't think you deserve to get your stuff stolen. But I don't have a lot of sympathy either. You know that people are having their stuff stolen, yet you still leave your stuff in your shack. It's like smokers who know about cancer, but still smoke anyway.

After all, if everyone took everything from their houses when they left, and I mean everyone, then the thieves would stop breaking in to shacks because the risk/reward just isn't there. Fishhouses are perfect for criminals. Most people are only out there once a week, sometimes less. It's dark on the lake, there is no Brinks security systems, no dogs left at home and usually no neighbors around to call the cops. Of course it's the perfect scenario for thieves.

Take your stuff with you. Even if you have insurance. You're just making it worse for everyone by feeding the sharks.

What is the reward then Broman? Some jackhole meth addict can pawn my stuff for $100.00? Do you really think that me taking my 30 year old Jiffy auger and burned up Fl 8 SE out of my shack is going to fix the problem?

Of course it won't. And I still have sympathy for smokers that die of cancer.... Do you hate kids in third world countries that die of malaria because they don't use bug spray? How about all the people that die of AIDS because they have unprotected sex? Your arguement is not even in the same ballbark as some jerk stealing things out of fish houses.

What about all the people the leave their things in storage every six months and go out of state? Do they deserve to have their things broken into because they are gone that long? After all they know they are going south for the winter. If that is the case, I have an entire resort of folks that are ripe for the picking all winter.

When the average guy starts defending a thief instead of showing outrage for the crime, God help us all.

While not a shack my boats sit outside uncovered all summer with everything including the keys in them and have never lost a hook yet. I'm talking $5-10K in gear and accessories not including the boats themselves. Of course everythings fully insured. I'm sure if I had a permie and used it all the time my gear would be left in it to other than electronics.

Only theft I have had was someone broke into our storage unit and helped themselves to my ice gear. Something that was secure and locked. A theif will get what he wants regardless if you leave it someplace or stop for coffee and they lift it out of your truck or keep it under lock and key. Thats why I carry insurance on everything.

Quote:
What about all the people the leave their things in storage every six months and go out of state?

Those people are aren't leaving it unattended at a lake. Storage units (good ones anyway) usually have cameras, barbed wire gates, etc, etc, etc....

Hey, your old auger and flasher, although, not worth much will still be a score for them and a success. They will still make money on your shack. If they make money on one, then why not keep going. Your shack is a better score and less risk than robbing a convenience store with cameras and people inside.

I'm not defending thieves. They suck. I had my stereo ripped off from my truck years ago. But, I didn't turn on my alarm. And if someone wanted to say that it was partly may fault. I would have to agree. Geeze, people, take your social security numbers out of your wallet. You've been warned.

Bottom line, take your stuff with you. I will watch out for thieves and report activity when I see it.

I've been robbed twice and thats enough for me to never leave anything again. Once you get the cancer you think twice about having another one.......if you don't get the cancer you keep smoking until you do. Cancer exists weather we like it or not......and so do theives.

Do you hate kids in third world countries that die of malaria because they don't use bug spray?

I think alot of the mentality is that it will never happen to them. I say them because I don't own a permanent house. Once it does happen to them, I am sure they never leave their stuff again.

Zamboni, so true, so true.

Maybe I should give some scenarios of what I feel constitutes what I "feel sorry" for.

- - - -

You park at the store, go in and leave your gps or cell phone on the dash, doors locked or unlocked - not sorry, you could have brought it in with you or at least put it away. You were lazy.

You left your stuff in the bed of your truck at home instead of bringing it inside your home or garage and someone steals it. - not sorry, you were lazy

You leave your stuff in the bed of your truck instead of bringing it inside the fishhouse and someone steals it - not sorry, you were lazy

You leave your stuff in the bed of your truck and lock the tonneau cover or topper while sleeping in your fishhouse and someone steals it - sorry (kinda, you still could have brought it in with you, but at least you locked it up)

You bring your stuff inside your home or garage and you lock your doors and someone breaks in and steals your stuff. - sorry

You bring your stuff inside your home or garage and never lock your doors and some steals your stuff. - not sorry

As for the "I have insurance". Thanks for passing the buck onto the other policy holders when the insurance company raises everyones rates because "you have insurance". It's like those people who keep building their houses on piers right on the beach and the hurricane wipes them out - not sorry

Let me get this right?

I am wrong and lazy everytime I leave something that I buy in a locked thing that I own because someone steals it? Not the pos that steals my stuff because they don't want to work?

That pretty much sums up your post. As far as me being lazy, I am a retired cop that spent years working double shifts taking reports from people that had things stolen from them.

I am sorry that I earned my stuff and am too tired to do the extra work of taking my earned stuff, out of my earned and locked house.

You can be amazed all you want there brother and I will just agree to disagree with you on this point. I am amazed that you would actually think that by paying for insurance and having some thief steal my things that I am jacking your insurance rates because I am lazy.

What do you think I do with all the stuff I take out of my fish house? It goes in my locked, insured garage. On the way to my locked and secure garage that may get broken into, it goes in the back of my truck. Am I lazy when I don't take my stuff into gas station when I get my truck gassed up?

Good luck with your quest to get me to change my lazy habits.

Ed Kirkman

(Jacking your insurance rates since 2009)