• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

how to Ice Carp

MoCarp

make sure carp in the water you're fishing...

Spread out over an area in 5-8' deep with some (but not too many) weeds, preferably near where a creek enters. mimic areas like where you'd find pike at ice-out.

cut holes by making a "triangle" of sorts by drilling 3 holes was using a large auger, (you might need a bigger hole)

then chip out the center with a spud. Make sure the bottom is chipped out and smooth on all sides

Chum each hole with ground up bread. toasted but still white is best for chum but untoasted for hook baits

There are other baits that work in winter, but I find bread to be the best, probably due to it's starch content.

dip it in condensed milk soaked sweet corn.....stuff rocks!

best Use NO weight (especially in any weed), long mono leader, and just a #6 hook. Form untoasted wonder bread (about 1/3rd slice, newer and "doughier", the better) around the hook so it's firm enough to stay, but soft enough to allow a hook to set through.

on a tip up Set the flag REAL EASY to trip. The slightest tension will cause the fish to drop the bait...

used several set ups and rods/gear all can work

Once found, the fish should take. The question is finding them.

They DO fight great through the ice, BTW, small ones under 5 pounds are great eating out of cold water

one big one we couldn't get through the hole!

tipup.jpg

riggs.jpg

icecarp2.jpg

landing.jpg

carpice.jpg

icemirror.jpg

nice10.jpg

note... added a nice thick bunch of twisted copped wire onto the flag shaft on a tipup in a D shape and put the T on

it reduced amount of energy needed to trip it by over 75% it took about 8 oz to trip before and now it only takes about 1 ounce to trip

Yeah, the scales through the hole is a great picture.

And you are probably one of the very few people who can say that they've caught a mirror carp through the ice. That's really, really cool.

Thanks for the post... it gives me hope that I might someday ice one myself.

There have been many questions regarding carp through ice. This is a great post. Thanks for the information. I am definately going to try this. I hope that others do as well and we can add to the wealth of information already presented here. Awesome work guys.

Yea great job. I've been trying to get some on ice but cant seem to get it right. I've tried local ponds that hold fish but discovered the deepest water i could find was maybe 5 ft this pond is small 5 acres at most but tons of carp in the open water. Where do these fish go no way in or out that I can see. Well theres a grate on one end dont think fish could fit through though.

that picture with the tip up (with the wire) is mine from last year! that is not ur idea its mine!

i posted it on CAG (carp anglers group last year) even look on my photo bucket page. i added it last year! it was cristmas day. and i went down on lake winona by my grandmas apartment.

and none of those people are u. they are all pictures from the CAG HSOforum

Yeah, the scales through the hole is a great picture.

And you are probably one of the very few people who can say that they've caught a mirror carp through the ice. That's really, really cool.

Thanks for the post... it gives me hope that I might someday ice one myself.

thats not him. thats scott osmond.

Busted. smile I accidentally snagged a carp this winter fishing for panfish and it put up a great fight. I got its head to the top of the hole but wasn't sure how to pull it out. Any tips? I tried getting my thumb in its mouth but couldn't get a good grip. I didn't want to gaff it and soon it wiggled off my hook.

Nice job carpmanjake!!

I thought something was weird with that post when I first read it. I think it was the fact that his avatar says he is from Texas, only ice I know of in Texas is in a vodka/tonic, and I doubt you will find any carp under that ice!!LOL Not to mention it is his only post.

Again Great job on calling him out on this Jake!!! Care to enlighten us on how YOU got into those carp through the ice?

Nice job carpmanjake!!

I thought something was weird with that post when I first read it. I think it was the fact that his avatar says he is from Texas, only ice I know of in Texas is in a vodka/tonic, and I doubt you will find any carp under that ice!!LOL Not to mention it is his only post.

Again Great job on calling him out on this Jake!!! Care to enlighten us on how YOU got into those carp through the ice?

those arent my carp. i have yet to land 1 through a hole while fishing them on purpose. i was pounding a small jigging spoon packed with waxworms on a soft bottom for jumbo perch when i caught my carp through the ice.

but he is right on one thing. bread is the best producer of winter carp. i have only got the chance to go ice fishing for carp twice. i did hook up with a good fish that wouldnt fit through the 8 inch hole (i thought that was all i would need because winona doesnt have very many big carp)

that was on corn with carp juice in glow bait flavor in it.