• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Cell phone went down the hole last night, any tips?

ac777

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Put a lure down there will alot of hooks hope to hook it a couple times. My brother and I have lost 3 phones in the lake and we got all 3 back and all three worked. Just dont start it as soon as you get it then its toast. Put it in a bag of rice or put it in the oven with just the oven light on. I would give it a try I have had good luck with getting them to work again!

Gonna depend on the phone. If he has one of those military phones it will still be on and working underwater. IF you get it back out. put it in a bag of rice. DO NOT try to power it up for at least a week. I have done this wih mine after swamping it and it still works. The cell phone guy told me to do it. He said it dont always work because most people dont let it dry long enough before trying to turn it on.

I did the same thing one time. I had it on the top of my flasher and picked it up when I moved spots. It fell from about 4 feet (in slo-mo) dead center into a hole. The funny thing was my one-who-thinks-I-am-silly brother told me I better call my girlfriend and tell her what happened immediately afterward! Genius! I have to agree that it would be pointless to try to recover it. I think I told my provider that I lost it and they gave me another one.

The phone might work, my buddy put his down in 20fow and we got it back, dried it out, and it works. We used an aqua vu and a really long pole/angle iron with a net on the end and scooped er right up. Good Luck!

If you phone has a chip in it and you store all your numbers in it and don't back them up then it might be worth trying to get it back just to get the chip out for that reason. The chip will be fine it it gets wet.

See if you can find 30 feet of wide pipe and a wet dry vac to suck it up. Alright.... probably not practical but could possibly work.

Buy a few 10' pieces of pvc pipe and some slip fittings(slipxmale and slipxfemale). Drop each piece down individually,screwing the next piece on as you go. Find a plastic bucket (square preferred) and tie it (hose clamp perhaps) to the first piece you drop down. Try and get under it the best you can and give it a shot. Give it your best effort the first time, because you may bury it underneath the mud/sand. Good luck.

I would get it out of there and take it apart and dry it out in front of a fan for a couple days. The battery may be shot due to shorting out but the phone may recover. I have had the pleasure of doing this a couple times and that has worked the best for me. Never hurts to pay 5 bucks for the insurance in the future, much cheaper than a new phone and no problem worrying about paying for a new one.

I've lost a brand new phone before in 60'..it was gonzo. I've also dropped them into a lake (shallow water), recovered it and it worked fine for years. I took it all apart and placed it over a heat vent in my house for 24 hours before turning it on.

I've retrieved almost everything with a camera, including my Strikemaster Lazer auger that detached while drilling a hole.

I like the long pole, net idea. Using a lure to snag it might take a lot of time if it settled into the bottom of the lake?

I've retrieved almost everything with a camera, including my Strikemaster Lazer auger that detached while drilling a hole.

Been there with the auger. Was the last hole to drill, and just as it broke through the bottom, all I had in my hand was the motor head. Got the camera out and a very large magnet. Sent the camera down to find it(in 28 fow). It was sticking straight up. Got the magnet on the auger, wiggled it a bit, and up she came. shocked I check the bolt every time out now!!!

If you phone has a chip in it and you store all your numbers in it and don't back them up then it might be worth trying to get it back just to get the chip out for that reason. The chip will be fine it it gets wet.

See if you can find 30 feet of wide pipe and a wet dry vac to suck it up. Alright.... probably not practical but could possibly work.

I dropped my phone in last winter in 32 fow. It was in my leather case and it somehow worked itself off my belt. When I stood up...Bloop nothing but net. I went back the next day with the camera and the biggest airplane jig I had. It had three sets of treble hooks on it. I couldn't see anything on my camera, so I thought I would jig for a while. It wasn't 5 minutes into it and one of the hookes snagged the leather and up she came. I tried drying it out and the only thing that would light up was a few of the buttons. I took the chip out and plugged it into another spare, and I was back in business. I still can't believe that I snagged it. crazy

I was also told that if I put the phone in a tupperware container of dry white rice and seal it up, the rice will suck a lot of the moisture out. I tried this, and it didn't work for my particular phone. I even put in in one of my boots and placed it on the boot dryer for a day. All the water came out, but it fried something internally.

Good Luck,

CA