Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
musky5555

Muzzleloader???

6 posts in this topic

I just bought a muzzleloader and I'm very new to the sport. After you "season" the barrel, how often do you use bore butter while you are hunting?

Any other thoughts would be appreciated...

I usually don't bore butter at all during the hunting season as I pull it out right before the season, clean it up (dry out the barrel) site it in, clean it out and then it's ready for the season. After the season I'll clean and then bore butter it for storage. I'll probably pull it out 4 or 5 times in the off season and clean and reapply bore butter.

What kind did you get? Not that it makes a difference, I'm just curious. I have a T/C Omega 50cal.

I don't bore butter during the season. a few days before season I clean the barrel up good and clean let it dry for a day then when it's clean and dry I load it up. If I know during the season I wont hunt for a few days I clean it again. Then bore butter after I'm done.

Thanks a lot for the info. I went shooting again today, and should be done seasoning the barrel. I've shot 30 times now, cleaning with a wet patch between each shot, and using liberal amounts of bore butter. Just cleaning the gun right now.

WaveWacker... I bought the CVA Kodiak Pro Magnum .50 cal. For me it was a toss up between that and the Omega, but chose the Kodiak for $100.00 less. I know the Omega is a good gun, but I couldn't find a reason not to buy the cheaper CVA. I also bought a Nikon Omega 3X9 scope for hunting in Nebraska.

I'm excited! I like guns, but I think I could really get into this muzzleloader thing. I can't wait to start experimenting with different loads/bullets.

I actually use a little bore butter while hunting with my Omega. I've found the sabot's are a bit tight and just a little BB makes them slide down just a little bit easier. I've not had the same problem with my old Knight MK-85 but the Omega bore seems a little smaller and the BB helps.

I have the Nikon Omega. I use 777 powder with my pro hunter. I was shocked at how close of groups I am getting at 100 yds. Funny thing is my elevation is same at 50 yds as it is at 100.