Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
pikedreams

Enough is Enough!

18 posts in this topic

What is it this year with all the ice house break-ins and property crimes?! I don't ever recall a year this bad. I live in the Metro and around where I live multiple houses have been hit on Tonka, Medicine, Waconia, Buffalo and the lists goes on and on. Take a look at any of the regional forums and you'll see the same thing, it's happening everywhere!

It would be easy to blame the economy, hard times and such, but fishing gear?! If your home is forclosed on or you loose your job is the logical answer to break into a fishhouse?! Rob a bank already!!

When I talk to my local water patrol guys they say that most break-ins are usually kids looking for booze and ciggs. That may be true but lots of guys are getting wiped out. I know I know you shouldn't be leaving expensive stuff in your fishhouse that goes without saying. But hey I got expensive stuff in my family home but that doesn't mean that if some night I forget to lock the door that I "deserve" to get broke into!!

I would encourage everyone to write down serial numbers and take photos of your stuff. Pawn shops are wise to stolen property and the police check their stock regularly.

I don't mean to sound parinoid but I think there's something larger at work here. I for one am going to be leery of any garage sales, HSOList or craigs list sellers that seems to have an "excessive" inventory of good used ice fishing gear. I would encourage you all to do the same and alert authorities if the situation does't feel right.

I would love to think that this post would be a great prevention to the break ins, but I don't think thieves are smart enough to read.

ya that is dumb. I have friends that had their mounts and stuff in there and they were all stolen...i know people will say u shouldent leave that in there byt still i mean come on! Someday I want to walk out and keep the lights off and try to catch some of those thieves!

It is outta control this year.The people doin this have obviously never run into a few angry rednecks.lol

I agree with you Zamboni, I'm not posting this for the theives to read. I want to appeal to all honest and decent fisherman out there. Everyone likes getting a hot deal on something but that hot deal may have come at great cost to someone else.

I've experienced this from both sides. I used to own a tackle shop and when we closed I had a ton of stuff left over so we had a huge garage sale. All the people that came knew me or knew the store so everything was perfectly understandable.

Many years ago when I was in college in Mankato me and a buddy went to an estate sale in the country looking for some cheap furniture. Besides the houseold stuff the guy had a whole shed full of new in the box car parts. I mean way over the top! My buddy walked to the car and called the local sheriff. They sent out a detective and sure enough after about an hour of questioning the guy caved and left in cuffs. Sale over!

We can be honest fisherman and complain about theft all day but unless we're willing to become part of the solution it's meaningless.

If the deal is too good to be true, it's too good to be true.

As long as our Legal system let's these people slide, they'll be empowered to steal.

Just ask anyone who works in law enforcement and they'll tell you how little is done to these serial crooks. Heck, even if they manage to get convicted, they end up in a comfortable jail cell with 3 squares and free cable TV...thank the liberal majority of do-gooders in this State for this next time you vote.

Chef, Jail/Prison isn't as cush as you make it out. As a person that works in a prison and has worked at one for over 16 years, They may make them out to be cush, but I bet if you came here to stay you would want out of here in a heartbeat. The bigger problem is alot of these people were raised in an evironment were stealing, etc is appropriate behavior. Most criminals are not the smartest person in class, and no matter what you tell them they still think that there way is better. Granted sometimes the courts are way to lenient on them.

As long as our Legal system let's these people slide, they'll be empowered to steal. Just ask anyone who works in law enforcement and they'll tell you how little is done to these serial crooks.

I tend to agree with you. It seams like the cops really have better things to do than investigate small theft crimes like this.

I remember a few years ago when my pickup got broken into in my own driveway. Lost my radar detector, stereo, sunglasses, and 3 case logic cases of CDs. There were 5-6 other vehicles broken into within the same couple block stretch of homes. Cops basically told me nothing could be done about it. They were just there to write up the report.

I'm sure a lot of these types of crimes are drug users looking for a little bit of money to get their next fix.

You take a druggie who works everyday, lay him off, and he still is going to find a way to support his habit.

That's my guess.

I have to agree with the fueling the addiction theory. People who would not ordinarily steal will become the worst thieves to fuel a habit. I think most crimes like this (if not all) are committed by addicts. It's a shame, lots of these guys wouldn't steal at all if they were not users. Lots of these guys were real stand up folks when they were sober, and lots of them can be again if they get clean. Keep an up to date list with serial numbers, and engrave your name or initials on your equipment. lots of pawn shops will not take equipment with initials that do not match the initials of the person pawning it.

as for the vandals..... man, if I found the s*n of a b***h that tore up my shack and took a dump on the floor I would absolutly loose it! I would become obsessed with monitoring the lake in the hopes of catching up with whoever was doing it. Talk about 100% senseless stupidity, the vandals are not even fueling and addiction, they are just destuctive.

I don't own a perm, but man, I even cover up stuff in my car when I'm parked at a lake. It's a bummer. My brother had his truck broken into twice in two years..... cleaned out more than $5,000 in tools each time...... and he lives in a good part of town.

They likely do have a source to clear this booty out, and that is the link if found that will bring it all down.

Ya have to wonder if local sportsman do not need to lay for these guys in shifts during likely periods they like to hit lakes, and track them back to there holes..then call in the cops. Vigilante justice is very appealing for sure but who needs to be in court the rest of their lives because some weak constitution Crack Head is suing you...not me.

Sportsman have a lot of tools at there disposal to help track these guys is well applied. Nigh Vision tools, trail cams, GPS....even tracking GPS tags. A sportsman's sting operation well applied may do it well. If one would get the right lead on these clowns, it may start a domino effect and bring down many more if the buyers are located.

You wonder about dead end Crack Heads having ATV's and Sleds to pull these jobs and then.... disappear, something strikes me especially odd about that...does it not?

I think it is more involved then that, and more in a middle class reality, young or old...there are resources in play here to do this...don't ya think? Makes you wonder?

I would be willing to bet most of the break-ins are from High School to College age kids, just looking for the "rush" of doing it.

If a guy was in need of extra change so badly, and had no way out but to steal, the last darn place on earth he should rob would be an ice house. People that ice fish have a reputation (in my eyes) for being hard-a$$es. Not to mention, if you [PoorWordUsage] the wrong guy off, you might just never been seen or heard from again. Out doors type of guys know all the swamps around the area.

Does anyone know if the same rules/laws apply to someone breaking into your ice house, as to someone breaking in your own house?

I remember a few years ago when my pickup got broken into in my own driveway. Lost my radar detector, stereo, sunglasses, and 3 case logic cases of CDs. There were 5-6 other vehicles broken into within the same couple block stretch of homes. Cops basically told me nothing could be done about it. They were just there to write up the report.

I lived in St Jo Missouri once. Knew 3 people in town. That was it. Was good friends with all 3 guys. My ex fiance was messing around on me with some guy from town. The night we broke up my car got keyed. Actually, guy used a screwdriver to vandalize it. Over $3500 worth of damage to it. I knew the guys name that did it, and that was basically what the cop said- have to catch them doing it. In a carport full of cars and mine was the only one vandalized, not a random act. He was lucky I didn't catch him, actually, we are both lucky, he would have gotten shot and I would be in prison for murder.

Chef, Jail/Prison isn't as cush as you make it out. As a person that works in a prison and has worked at one for over 16 years, They may make them out to be cush, but I bet if you came here to stay you would want out of here in a heartbeat. The bigger problem is alot of these people were raised in an evironment were stealing, etc is appropriate behavior. Most criminals are not the smartest person in class, and no matter what you tell them they still think that there way is better. Granted sometimes the courts are way to lenient on them.

Matt--You had a tough job for 16 years. I respect your opinion as you've worked on the "inside". No jail is as cushy as living a free life; however, all jails differ somewhat in their conditions, wouldn't you agree? Take the jail in Arizona for instance that is outdoors and the prisoners wear Pink. This ytpe of jail is a place no one is moderatley comfortable and will likely be shut down now that "Change" has come to America. Treatment is "unconstitutional"??? My Foot.

My point is that there is no real assurance of penalty in this country any longer. Where else can a person pay their way out of Capital Murder ala OJ? Or get a lighter sentence for murder than Marth Stewart got for alleged insider trading? Give me a break.

I don't know about the numbers right now but a number of years ago I saw a news story that showed that MN had the highest per-inmate prison costs in the country (where does alll this money go?). Not something to be proud of in my opinion. I would be them on work farms, chain gangs, or operating human-powered generators to make electricity.

As for sentencing: Looking in the court record in the newspaper it seems as though no one really faces much in the way of punishment. Judges hand down suspended sentence after suspended sentence. I have also seen numbers comparing the number of inmates in WI and MN (similar populations) WI has about 4 times the number of people in prison that MN does. MN doesn't seem to have what it takes to put bad people behind bars.