Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
propster

Trailer Winch

5 posts in this topic

Would like to replace the old worn out winch on the boat trailer with a more powerful yet easier cranking one. Is there such a thing - do they make ones that are geared differently so you get the same movement of weight with a little less effort, often when you're balance precariously on the tongue?

They do make a winch with two different gear settings. The handle slides between two gears to change to the ratio you are looking for. Otherwise as you go up in winch size you will start to see the gear ratio go down. Also most new style winches use a strap rather than a rope or cable and this seems to make life easier too. Do you have a bunk or a roller trailer and what type of boat are we talking about?

Oh ya get a strap winch. When I inherited the boat I had it had the original crank and rope I bet, it worked well for awhile until SNAP! the rope broke and shot at me like a whip, split open my upper lip. 3 stitches and a stop at fleet farm and upgraded that baby.

Ranger on a bunk, and it's a strap. If you put the trailer back a hair too far she can float, if not far enought you need to crank it the last several inches and it's heavy. That's why I was hoping for a better winch. Thanks

Ideally you would put the trailer into the water far enough to drive the boat all of the way on. Otherwise another option is to purchase bunk glides. They are a slippery plastic board that screws down to your bunks. This will allow you to crank the boat up and down. Otherwise I fear that you will end up bending your winch stand on you Rangertrail trailer depending on the year. I can order some of the bunk guides for you if you want or you should be able to find them at a local marine dealer.