Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
backtroller1

replacing throttle cable

6 posts in this topic

I have a 1996 115 mariner motor that the throttle cable probably needs to be replaced. I have a 17' single console boat, with a quicksilver 3000 control. How difficult is this project to do yourself, or should I just take it in and have it professionally done? Any thoughts?

It's not too hard, depends mostly on your mechanical abilities, access to the control box, routing, etc.

I would recomend replacing the shift cable as well, or at least taking a real good look at it. Though the throttle cable has more movement than the shift cable, the shift cable goes through just as many or more (usually more) movements.

If you're mechanically inclined... replacing the cable shouldn't be too difficult. It'll be more of a hassle than anything probably to get it routed to the motor.

marine_man

Also beware they you cannot replace just the "cable", you have to replace cable and housing together, they are a sealed complete unit. As they mentioned it's and easy task.

Well, I got both cables out, throttle and the shift, any ideas where I can get a good deal on a new set? Valv, do you have any new ones lying around?