• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

where should i go for opener

coombia21

Try any lake that has a smaller bays or lakes attached so that if the wind comes up you will be able to fish the smaller lakes or bays. The worst feeling is sitting in the cabin waiting for the wind to die down. Have done that a couple of years obviously was not prepared for the weather conditions. Now it is one of the must things to look in to before reserving a cabin.

Not sure where you live but don't forget rivers as being an option. I fish a northern stretch of the Mississippi most openers and find that the fishing can be fantastic and the boat traffic is minimal (which makes for a much more relaxing and enjoyable opener weekend). Another benefit to river fishing is there are often ample opportunities of places to stop and have a shore lunch! Rivers should be warmer due to spring runoff as well. Good luck!

Ok, I'll say it. Try the St. Louis River in Duluth. It fills with fish from Lake Superior and if it sets up right can be phenominal. There's a two fish limit with 15" minimum but if you want to eat fish sounds like you can just throw a bobber line off the dock when you get home. If my trip to the east coast falls doesn't happen that's where I'll be.

Rooooosterfish, you need to bring along some liquid courage with you when you go out. I can't wait for open water.....

Rooooosterfish, when are you gonna pay up on those crappie minnows? I'm still waiting....

That was a long time ago with the wind. Since then I have had plenty of liquid courage.....

By the way I am ready, you let me know when you want to go and I will supply the minnows!

What about those MN-SD border waters or other SW MN waters? They open up first, warm up first, and are done with the post spawn blahs first. They seem to have stable 'eye populations, northerns and pannies in most, and if you happen to hook a bass...well, you can always fight it and let it go. Less pressure that the lakes mentioned above too. That's where I would go if I lived in the metro area. Drive time's about the same or less as goin' to ML, Winnie, etc.