• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

where should i go for opener

coombia21

We've gone to Upper Red every year since it opened up, fishing has been outstanding and we've run a ways to get away from the crowd near the access. There's a always a wind / weather concern with a lake like Red, but the walleye fishing is top notch.

We've also fished Winnie quite a bit on opener. At times very good.

It's been a while since I went to Mille Lacs for an opener. I always liked it, you just need to put yourself in the right frame of mind that there will be a lot of boats everywhere you want to fish, and enjoy it. At times very good fishing, at times very tough fishing.

I guess I like big lakes grin

Other ideas are to consider some place that would be a good multi-species trip, where you can get in on some pike and panfish action too. I think the opener is all about having fun, and if the walleyes aren't cooperating you might want to try some other species too.

How about staying at Winnie, and keeping options open to other lakes like Bowstring, Sand, Round, etc.? These other lakes are well known for their walleye, but there are great panfish opportunities as well. All are within a reasonable driving distance from one another. Just my thoughts, but usually if one lake isn't going, another one real close by is.

Where you should go for opener all depends on what kind of spring we have. You want to be on a lake with the right water temps conducive for a good bite. You can go to Leech and if the ice just came off, you probably will not do very good.

Bingo!

WAlleye man said it. If we have a late spring like last year a smaller lake might have warmed up much faster and turned those fish on. You can look ottertail alexandria area for some decent size lakes and great number of walleyes. But I would go off of how the sring goes!

Coombia its like everyone else has been saying, it all depends on how late the spring is. Heck I was ice fishing till april 21 last spring, and I was still 100 miles south of Lake of the Woods. Some years Mille Lacs has ice floating around during opening weekend, so you pick your poision as far for big lakes. URL is usually a safebet for being open as it is shallower and dark stained water so the ice goes faster as the water warms. I like the suggestion about staying on Winnie and if the crowds bother you or weather sucks (to windy) go to Cutfoot to fish panfish or head over to Sand, etc. Lots of options, suprised no one mentioned Vermillion as an option or Gull near Brainerd.

As dumb as it sounds, try a lake close to you? If the spring is similar to last year, I was on Minnetonka just after midnight and caught nine fish that pushed the 40lbs.+ mark!! Great fishing if the conditions are right on Tonka. Of course, that was the first good opener for me in a while...

P

PJ...ive been up to ML for opener for the last idk how many years in a row

the fishing has gotten better in the last few years. 2 openers ago my buddy got a BIG northern while we were trolling lindy rigs for eyes.

when the eye fishing isnt that good, we always manage to find some really nice gills and keeper perch

and if the fish arnt biting, its always nice to sit back and relax back at my uncles cabin and take his golfcart for a spin

coombia,

i also have a magic dock. big piggies in the spring and slabs in the fall. i have been led astray in the past and tried other places, not fully appreciating what i have in front of me. go where the fish are greener this year and i know where you will be next year.

west of hwy 169 off of bass lake road(no public access portage in only)there is a bait store on the north side of bass lake road.He will let you know what is happening there.I can give you some info as well as I have fished it many times. mhcarpntry at yahoo dot com

I always love Mille Lacs for opener. We always talk about bringing a video camera for the boat launch. It amazes me how many people can't back a boat trailor up. I am sure the video would win major $$$$ on one of those home video shows. Some people come in way to drunk too be around but funny as $#&&. Amateur night at the dance!!! You gotta love it. I guess I am just easily amused.

Fishing is hit or miss but it is great to just be out on the big pond.