Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mike Stark

Mr. Heater Buddy Filter

14 posts in this topic

is the filter a must?

the guy at the shop said that he had not heard of folks using one and they have had no problems.

any advice?

I believe one of the buddy heaters states it right on the box that a filter is needed. When I worked at Gander we had more than one person come in looking for them. Something about, propane has small particles in it that will clot the unit.

If you are using one pound tanks the filter isn't needed. I have seen a few Buddy Heaters plugged up when using larger tanks with the rubber hose. I just bought a filter at Fleet Farm a couple days ago. Nine bucks. Its a good investment. Fleet was the only place i could find them.

Depends on the situation. If you have a buddy heater and have a hose that runs straight from the tank to the heater, yes. If you have a hose that is considered a "quick connect" that has a regulator at the tank, then no. The quick connect adapters are not on the smaller regular buddy heaters, i think. If you use 1 lb tanks, then no.

thanks for the info.

you think i would be alright using it a couple time before i get the filter?

yes the filter is a must or yes i would be alright using it a couple times before i get one.

thanks

I have used mine without the filter in a few times, but the first chance I got I picked one up. They seem to last a couple years and then you need a new one. My thinking is that if they say that you need one it is probably best to have one. If you buy the green colored hose a filter is not needed.

I've used my buddy for years on a 20# without filter, black hose and so far no problem. Maybe I'm on borrowed time???

Yes you are fine to use it withough. I would get the filter though as it's not going to hurt it and probably help it last longer.

I've never run propane through my big buddy without the filter, with how much the heater costs and the reputation they have for clogging I don't want to risk having issues.

I'm in the boat with MNICE. All my friends have buddy heaters, use and abuse them and have never had an issue, but why take chances for a couple of bucks.

It seems that in a lot of cases the plugging problem is caused by leaving the hose pressurized when heater is not in use. To maybe help eliminate plugging turn gas off at the tank with the heater still on burning off the gas in the hose.Then shut heater off.

I ended up having to buy a new regulator after about 3 years of not using a filter. I was told the high pressure gas in the hose pulls oil out of the rubber and it clogs up the regulator.