Guests - If You want access to member only forums on HSO. You will gain access only when you sign-in or Sign-Up on HotSpotOutdoors.

It's easy - LOOK UPPER right menu.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shamalex72

New spear; before and after photo

35 posts in this topic

wow!, How did you make the handle? I wanted to put a nice wooden handle on mine but dont know how to go about it, any pointers?

sham that is sweet looking. What kind of wood is on the handle maple and hickory? Now you have got me thinking heres and Idea find an old pool cue and cut it off drill it out then fit it up.

wow!, How did you make the handle? I wanted to put a nice wooden handle on mine but dont know how to go about it, any pointers?

I use a 1" hole saw to cut the pieces out of a board with a drill press. Then I use a forstner bit the size of the spear handle(1/2" for mine) to cut out the center of each piece. Then slide them on the handle, glue, sand and finish them.

sham that is sweet looking. What kind of wood is on the handle maple and hickory? Now you have got me thinking heres and Idea find an old pool cue and cut it off drill it out then fit it up.

elwood, its walnut and hickory. You should try the pool cue, I think that would look pretty cool.

That is nice sham! Looks like you powder coated it? What kind of wood you use?

Very nice!

I'd put a small Vikings sticker on the center weight. Viking Pride!

Originally Posted By: Laska

I use a 1" hole saw to cut the pieces out of a board with a drill press. Then I use a forstner bit the size of the spear handle(1/2" for mine) to cut out the center of each piece. Then slide them on the handle, glue, sand and finish them.

sounds like a bit of work, but sounds good to me, Ill give it a try, what material did ya use to put the "clear coat" look on it?

That is nice sham! Looks like you powder coated it? What kind of wood you use?

Thanks. No powder coat, just spray paint. Its walnut and hickory.

I tried to make a one piece wood handle for mine last year on my wood lathe but getting the hole through the center never worked out. Might give it another try if I ever find time.

do you think putting the handle on a spear would make it unbalanced to throw? Just curious, Im going to start making a handle for mine very soon.

Laska, I didn't have any balance issues with the wood handle. It throws just fine. Post some pics when you get it done.

Laska, I didn't have any balance issues with the wood handle. It throws just fine. Post some pics when you get it done.

will do for sure, I plan on using cherry and walnut

what type of glue did u use Ill have to pick some up....

So Im working on a handle like sham's today gluing it today sanding and stain tomorrow... I should have pics up in the next day or so...

Maybe you should make it a PFD double duty spear grin

Couldnt help it laska cant wait to see the finished product and if the barbs still give you trouble let me know I can fix it

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

• Popular Now

• 1 hour ago, blue_healer_guy said:

leech, it does sound like an odd concocktion.  but you gotta try it.  225 for 2 hrs, helps if u use thin bacon.

Man, I can see cream cheese but peanut butter? I may have to give it a go sometime, maybe the bacon will off set the oddness? :eek:  :)

Edited by leech~~
    • Sorry I missed that. The brown and blue wires are the Transmit TX and Receive Rx wires for connection via single cable to NMEA 0183 compatible devices. nmea 0183 is the protocol for compatible devices, computer, plotters, auto piolet, Radar, radio, etc. All of these devices including your GPS can be connected to a single cable. The brown and blue wires allows the sonar to communicate to other devices. Google nmea 0183 compatible devices for a raft of information on what this is.

My brother, a charter Capitan out of Cortez FL. uses these devices on his boat for off shore fishing up to 100 miles off shore. Nice to have to talk to other Capitan's ship to shore, radar, GPS and  to get back home without running into sunken islands.

• Trump stumped on terrorist quiz as he can't identify the leaders of ISIS and al-Qaeda – but Carly Fiorina shows she knows her Nasrallah from her al-Julani

• Radio host Hugh Hewitt asked Trump and Fiorina the same questions about terrorist leaders in separate taped interviews on Thursday
      • FIorina answered confidently and Trump seemed flummoxed, confusing 'Quds Forces' with 'Kurds forces'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3222467/Trump-stumped-terrorist-quiz-t-identify-leaders-ISIS-al-Qaeda-Carly-Fiorina-shows-knows-Nasrallah-al-

• 12 hours ago, delcecchi said:

He can't be as ignorant and inept as he has come across in TV interviews.  

I ask the same thing about the other 2 candidates, especially the one that is your favorite.

12 hours ago, delcecchi said:

That would have been a fine answer.   Unfortunately instead he sat there with his mouth hanging open (figuratively) and looked like a total dolt.   This is the second time he has handled something in an interview poorly.  I guess he feels he needs the exposure but unfortunately he is not especially good at the interview thing.   At the very least he needs to practice deflecting the question.  Perhaps the "nobody especially" but "I prefer to look to American leaders of the past like (Calvin Coolidge, Teddy Roosevelt, Thomas Jefferson, William Calhoun, whoever he wants)" 

He can't just sit there and and look stupid, which is what he did.    Maybe some role playing in preparation would have helped.   He can't be as ignorant and inept as he has come across in TV interviews.  

What do you care? I thought he was irrelevant anyway?

• Oh yeah.  I keep forgetting about all that modern computer stuff in cars.   So the computer would notice the tranny didn't shift all the way down as the car stopped?     There goes that theory.   

And why only after a couple hours of driving?   Some sort of overheating of the transmission fluid?  cooler plugged in the flush process?   

Here is a question for Carpmaster..... Is it different in the summer vrs winter?   Like you only have to drive 50 miles in summer and 200 in winter?  

You guys that actually know can feel free to ignore my suggestions if you don't want to waste time answering.  

• Man, I can see cream cheese but peanut butter? I may have to give it a go sometime, maybe the bacon will off set the oddness?  
    • Sorry I missed that. The brown and blue wires are the Transmit TX and Receive Rx wires for connection via single cable to NMEA 0183 compatible devices. nmea 0183 is the protocol for compatible devices, computer, plotters, auto piolet, Radar, radio, etc. All of these devices including your GPS can be connected to a single cable. The brown and blue wires allows the sonar to communicate to other devices. Google nmea 0183 compatible devices for a raft of information on what this is. My brother, a charter Capitan out of Cortez FL. uses these devices on his boat for off shore fishing up to 100 miles off shore. Nice to have to talk to other Capitan's ship to shore, radar, GPS and  to get back home without running into sunken islands.  
    • Trump stumped on terrorist quiz as he can't identify the leaders of ISIS and al-Qaeda – but Carly Fiorina shows she knows her Nasrallah from her al-Julani Radio host Hugh Hewitt asked Trump and Fiorina the same questions about terrorist leaders in separate taped interviews on Thursday FIorina answered confidently and Trump seemed flummoxed, confusing 'Quds Forces' with 'Kurds forces'

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3222467/Trump-stumped-terrorist-quiz-t-identify-leaders-ISIS-al-Qaeda-Carly-Fiorina-shows-knows-Nasrallah-al-
    • I ask the same thing about the other 2 candidates, especially the one that is your favorite.   What do you care? I thought he was irrelevant anyway?  
    • Oh yeah.  I keep forgetting about all that modern computer stuff in cars.   So the computer would notice the tranny didn't shift all the way down as the car stopped?     There goes that theory.    And why only after a couple hours of driving?   Some sort of overheating of the transmission fluid?  cooler plugged in the flush process?    Here is a question for Carpmaster..... Is it different in the summer vrs winter?   Like you only have to drive 50 miles in summer and 200 in winter?   You guys that actually know can feel free to ignore my suggestions if you don't want to waste time answering.  
    • leech, it does sound like an odd concocktion.  but you gotta try it.  225 for 2 hrs, helps if u use thin bacon.
    • nw wisconee private marsh
    • Sorry, I thought the model was listed on the title of my question.  Anyway, Garmin 53dv EchoMap.  This one has downview, but is chirpless.  Seems like nice unit, tough.  Just wondered about those 2 wires.  Thanks.
    • should trigger a check engine light....
  • Our Sponsors