• GUESTS

If you want access to members only forums on HSO, you will gain access only when you Sign-in or Sign-Up .

This box will disappear once you are signed in as a member. ?

Question to Nils Owners

rocki

I just purchased a new nils upon reading all the good reviews....got it out on the ice today, drills faster than any other auger i have used. my question is, it seems to have a very slight wobble while drilling vs, the strikemasters i am used too. is this normal?? hard to explain, but when not drilling the unit seems solid and everything is very tight. this may be because of the power and faster revolution of the auger. let me know your thoughts. also, what have you found to be the best way to start the auger when its cold?? I know each auger brand is different.......

Congratulations on your new Nils!

I have had one for a few years now and it still runs flawlessly!

The wobble you notice is probably because of the style of cutter head on it. Just make sure that the auger is installed correctly to the power head and that the locking bolt is tight.

The blades stay sharp almost forever if you do not force them down or drill into dirty ice, but I do suggest that you order a spare bit so you have it if it is needed.

I drill a ton of holes each year and have had my blades sharpened 3 times. Sure was nice having the spare bit instead of waiting for 5 to 7 days for my old bit to be returned.

Cliff

Iv'e used mine for 2 trips now and it is running better but the thing does wiggle alot. When I look down my holes they aren't as staight as with my old eskimo. It does cut much easier than the old one. Iv'e checked it and everything is tight. I hope the wiggle goes away so my transducer will stay flush with one side better. My 2 cents worth. DrJ

Check your power adapter connection, big hole on the adpater facing the flat part of the auger shaft. If it's wrong it could make the shaft wobble a bit.

Also tighten the bolt as tight as you can first, then thread the nut on and tighten it.

Mine wabels also, I found when drilling use a limp wrist and let the power head wabel and the auger shaft cut straight. There is a little play in the reduction box shaft (all brands have it)it is just magnified because of the longer shaft. Also towards the end of the hole lift up a bit. After a few holes you will figure it out. Remember ther is no need to have much downward force if any to cut.

As for cold starting I need to full choke till it starts. I am running seafoam threw it now in hopes of cleaning out any break in oil residue also clean the plug.

Yep mine wobbles too, I think whats causing it is the adapter, it has a larger (+0.015") hole than the auger shaft, when you tighten the bolt up it moves the auger off center from the gearbox shaft. I've been going to take mine apart, machine a new slip-fit adapter and that should take care of it.

Do as DTRO said. Thats the most common reason for the wobble. Lots of folks put them on backwards too wich gives ya a wobble.

If thats not it make sure your fluting didnt get bent in transport. take it off the power head and take the blade off and roll it on a flat surface. It should have no wobble.

As said check the collar. Considering the length and connections a little wobble is possible and maybe expected but its not going to have any effect on drilling. Another thing is the Nils rotates at a higher RPM and therefore any wobble will be more noticeable.

About the hole not straight.

Of coarse you have to hold the auger plumb to get a plumb hole and that is not fault of the auger.

A blade that walks is a different matter. In that case you'd have curvature or stepping off to one side the entire length of the hole. I'd suspect the center quality of the bit to be the culprit there. If you have a center point I'd think it be almost impossible for the blade to walk.

Just make sure it is tight as the others have said. I prime mine 6/8 times and filp the lever on choke, I will pull 3 times and then switch it off of choke and it will start everytime, even after sitting for week or longer. I run 80/1 amsoil with a little seafoam in the gas.

• we are 'the leading edge' HSO Creators

Make sure you:

1. screw the collar on tightly to the engine (I use the supplied wrench on the engine shaft and screw the bolt in and put the supplied allen wrench in it to accomplish this.)

2. Make sure the bolt going through the Collar and auger shaft is tightened tightly.

3. Now after the above is completed screw on the locking nut tightly.

You should have very little wobble after that.